SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

GRAPHIC DESIGNER visualkreations's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my new Portfolio site.

I had a chance to update my portfolio site and would love your feedback http://tinyurl.com/no56bg

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site looks very clean, just a few things to say. At first I had no idea why there was a picture of a mouse in the center of the screen at the bottom, I thought it was so that I was being told to scroll, then it changed to a pair of sunglasses which I get that it means look but I really don't think this is necessary to your design, it was just confusing. In the portfolio it seems the RHS has a larger gap than the left, making the content look lob sided (off center). Maybe try and center the content. I like that the portfolio content once clicked shows up the top and centered, really nice.

Overall pretty clean and simple site, does the job as you're a graphic designer and it puts more emphasis on your designs so good job.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

I think for a portfolio site this is really well done. It is easy to navigate and things are clean and your work really takes center stage. The only slight critique that I have is on the main page. You have the Hey Now in huge lettering followed by a small message and then force the reader to scroll down in order to see your work. It seems slightly bland and is in my mind a waste of prime real estate. I wonder if you could find a way to incorporate some of your work into this part of the page so when people first show up and don't scroll down they will at least be able to see some of the things that you do. Also I would make your email address slightly larger as you want to highlight how people can get in touch with you on that first page.

Hope this helps!
    Erik

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like it! The only thing I would work on maybe is a bit more branding? The Fresh Contrast logo is nice and simple, but I've seen quite a lot of blogs/wordpress pages which have similar minimal view and so it's hard to see anything too unique about it. Unless that was what you was going for and are more concerned about displaying your portfolio rather than trying to build recognition, in which case good job! It all seems to work quite nice

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top half of the website is the most important space in your website. I would reduce the size of the introduction and pull up the portfolio. People should reach to the most important data without scrolling.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

With running Google speeds tests, it came back 52/55 for mobile and desktop. Now although your target market may not care, I figured I would let you know in the event you did not check it.

Also Pingdom is showing an almost 4 second load time, so for as many pictures that you have, that does not seem like the worst ever.

Just my 2 cents. Great site
    Go broncos

SitePoint Enthusiast Soapmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I really love your website. You don't have too much trouble with spambots by exposing your email adress?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good theme, I like the website deign and theme specially, but as talkcarinsurance said, you have more space and you should reduce the size of the introduction to pull up the portfolio for more attraction and useable information shares.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I spent some time testing your site in Chrome and an Android and it really appealed to me.

I like the fonts, flat design and clean colour scheme. I also like the responsive nature of your site.

I have a few suggestions for you:

1) The logo looks a little lost surrounded by so much whitespace (but then I noticed it changes size when I scroll, very clever!)
    2) I am not sure if the social icons match your site's theme.
    3) Your site would also benefit from a really strong photo on the homepage. Alternatively, you could move up your portfolio of clients and websites.
    4) A services pages would be good too. I wasn't quite clear if I could hire you or not.
    5) You should consider Pinterest as it would suit a lot of your content.
    6) There's nothing really in the footer, is this a conscious choice?
    7) A photo of you could help with branding. This is a portfolio site after all. You could put this photo on your home page.

And finally, instead of saying hey now, perhaps you could introduce yourself and have a really strong call to action. Perhaps your CTA could incorporate some colour.

Overall, it's an appealing site.

I hope this helps.

GRAPHIC DESIGNER visualkreations's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great feedback everyone, some really good points and things I will be implementing in the design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice site! I really like your design

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very clean website you have there. I like it

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    This site looks beautiful, I like it. The portfolio is quite impressive.
    Small remarks (I am viewing your site using a netbook):
    - home page: I agree with the remark above concerning the top part of the home page: it is what we see first, so it should show your portfolio's most successful piece of work.
    - home page: I would center the portfolio images (they are aligned left, although the "hey now" chapter is centered)
    - portfolio: I cannot see any margin on the left (text is touching the left hand side of the screen)
    - small typo on blog : wanted share -> wanted to share

Hope it helps
    Vincent

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You website has a clear and fresh design. Good work.
    My only suggestion is, I think you put too many projects on the home page. Many people may don't have time to check all of your designs.
    I'd suggest you put the top 5 designs on the home page and attach a "more" link below to people who would like to see your other designs. I also suggest you drag some contents from "About Me" "blog" to home page. If one page can work well why you need 3 pages?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Nice to see you. Your website design looks fresh and content also good. Good to see your website.
    Thanks for posting.Please share new things.
    Keep posting..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really appreciate your job!
    I love fixed menu, and your is fantastic transparency effect.

Probably, I prefer normalized images, in your portfolio some are in a computer and some are not.

Add some useful information in the footer, such as contact info and your gravatar with a little description.

Other things are ok. good job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done! But if you wan to use that to generate leads, you need to be able to capture emails and phone numbers. But if its just a showcase, then this is one beautifully done showcase

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely loved it. Simple and clean.

I'd change Hey Now to Hey! or Welcome! 'Hey Now' as a standalone phrase is confusing, now what?

The mouse / sunglasses icon is also confusing, it needs to be clearer of what it is supposed to do. The click area is also smaller than the actual button size.

Also, I don't have a portfolio, but as a visitor I'd expect the pictures to contain the actual link to the live site.

I would also change the font / color under your portfolio images that fits with the rest of the theme.

Other than that I think it looks amazing, the structure / placement of stuff looks fine the way it is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website is really nice looking and very clean, you did a very good job! Just few things that you can consider for improvement are:
    --improve the footer of the page, adding helpful information and links
    --There are a lot of projects and images in the first page, you can create more pages and you can add categories as well.
    --Improve the social media integration and add better images

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great website, impressive portfolio! Like someone else pointed out, I would give more prominence to the portfolio part. Only issue I have is the scrolling, if you go back to near the top the top is sort of on a spring effect.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site has a very clean feel with eye-catching graphics! It's easy to navigate and I love the tagline "What's up?". Looks great.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ccamping View Post
    Your site has a very clean feel with eye-catching graphics! It's easy to navigate and I love the tagline "What's up?". Looks great.
    Thanks! You mean the general feel of the site that says "what's up?"

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GroovyMotion View Post
    Thanks! You mean the general feel of the site that says "what's up?"
    Oops wrong thread lol...my bad!
    Going back to the OP, I would just add that your images all seems to be scaled from 500x500px, maybe resize them manually? If you can shave off a few kb per images on the total it would drastically cut the loading time.
    One last thing, maybe move the Open Sans font request inside your css file like this:
    Code:
    @font-face {
      font-family: 'Open Sans';
      font-style: normal;
      font-weight: 300;
      src: local('Open Sans Light'), local('OpenSans-Light'), url(http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/opensans/v8/DXI1ORHCpsQm3Vp6mXoaTXhCUOGz7vYGh680lGh-uXM.woff) format('woff');
    }
    @font-face {
      font-family: 'Open Sans';
      font-style: normal;
      font-weight: 400;
      src: local('Open Sans'), local('OpenSans'), url(http://themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/opensans/v8/cJZKeOuBrn4kERxqtaUH3T8E0i7KZn-EPnyo3HZu7kw.woff) format('woff');
    }
    this would make one less HTTP request.