SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Website review for Rifle Chassis

Looking for feedback on a new website design and layout.

Old website: mdttac.com
    New website (temporary domain for testing): tacticalshack.com

Note: we are aware that the +popups in the slider still need content and images updated.

The new website should make the site easier to navigate with less pages and a more straightforward setup.
    In addition it is important that the visitor sees within a few seconds what the site is about and offers.

Would also like feedback about the overall look, fonts used etc.
    Maarten

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maartenvr View Post
    New website (temporary domain for testing): tacticalshack.com
    I viewed in Firefox 27. The home page looks nice. The diagonal lines in the "Our Mission" section is a little busy and distracting to the eye. The word "News Letter" is usually one word: newsletter. The word "sign up" is often hyphenated (sign-up) or concatenated (signup).

Also, the website was slow loading. 122 requests for the main page is a lot. You can look at tools.pingdom.com for more about the slow loading and a missing js file.

The alignment is off in the "Need Help" section in the footer. The phone number is indented and the address indented still more. That sticks out like a sore thumb to my eye. Also, in the footer section with the triangle/arrows next to "Sign Up", "Dealer Locations", etc., the triangles are off the center of the line. That, too, sticks out like a sore thumb to my eye.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new site is definitely an improvement over the old one, although the colorscheme is basically the same, the new one has more depth and contrast and it looks more user-friendly. In terms of fonts used, the old site used that Army Stencil std. font, but me as a designer, i like better the look of a nice simple sans-serif font as the one currently used. Also the menu is more visible, a great plus. Browser used: Chrome. Good job so far!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi-

Overall I really liked the site especially having the video on the front page. Here are some of the things that I thought could be changed...

Having the newsletter sign up on the bottom of the page seems slightly forced and I feel like you really wouldn't get the results or signups that you would want keeping it there and below the fold. I think if you included it on a contact us page with perhaps the ability to write in questions, you would get much better results. Having only two products on each of the two product pages seems like slightly overkill. Could you have a single product page with all four of the products on it. That way users who go to the products will see everything that you are selling?

Hope this helps.
    Erik

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the above comments on the products. I am a new gun owner and love the idea of being able to see everything, so that I understand what options are available.

I love the site!
    Go broncos

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all - it is nice site.

- change magento favicon
    - remove lorem ipsum text from blog
    - maybe move some photo of real person above the fold
    - improve page title of front page

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi maartenvr,

I'm exploring your site with Google Chrome Versión 33. I like the new website because is more dynamic,colorful and modern. Just some observations:

- Please check the pagetitle (The browser title) in the main menu , for example the pagetitle in "Home"is "Home Page". You can put something along the lines like "MDT - Engineered Accuracy - Home Page".
    - Check the links in the Blog section and the footer Menu "About MDT" (Especialy in: Dealer Locations, Dealer Application and Our Company)
    - Maybe you can change the tag colour in "NEWS LETTER SIGN UP", perhaps you can put a orange color, like in "More Review" button.

I hope these comments are of some help for you!

Kind Regards!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brands inline logos right below the fold could be improved. Maybe use a css transition on hover to go from greyscale to color etc. The expandable plus signs on your main hero banner are confusing. Whats the purpose?

I would expand the Mission statement segment to the full width column. Add more text/info/history too it. Would fit the news signup either above the header or move it up above to the middle_bg section. Increase the size of your phone # or move it down to the right of the header logo imo. Add some shipping information and selling points above the fold.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great site, cool idea to have that carousel of guns right on the front. It's visually appealing, provides more detailed information and gives an idea of what the site is about.

The only thing I don't like is the high contrasted / sharp colors.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The design of your website is very nice, simple, practical with easy navigation.
    Few improvements include the need for faster loading for your website (it loads really slow
    and you will lose visitors), the social media integration in the top of your website is a bit wired,
    maybe you should consider a better place. Furthermore you could move the search function and newsletter signup
    in a different place of your website. I prefer the search function in the left and the newsletter signup in the right.