I love this community for many, many reasons, but there is one thing I don't like about it. That thing is vBulletin.

This platform has served us admirably for many years, but it has become cumbersome, over-customised, out-dated and hard to maintain. Making the decision to move off vBulletin is an easy one. The not so easy one is where to go. There are lots of options around these days and many of them are awesome. They tend to be shiny new versions of what we already have, which makes me wonder if choosing one of them will mean we're back in this position again in the future. So we're going to take a risk and give something quite different a go. We're migrating to Discourse, which is the new platform being developed by Jeff Atwood and the guys behind Stack Overflow.

My team and I have been working with Jeff for a while now and we've put Discourse through its paces. There is a lot of work to do to get it off the ground as the basis of the new SitePoint Forums, but I'm looking forward to the challenge more than anything in my career to date. I don't totally agree with Jeff's take on the problem with forums, but I do like what he has done (and is continuing to do) with Discourse. What I like the most about it is that it is open source and Rails based, meaning that our devs can get their hands dirty and help me make these forums something that we can all be proud of.

I'm taking this opportunity to have a hard look at some of our processes, and rather than recreate exactly what we already have, I'd like to build something new and innovative.

Having said all of that, any Community Manager worth their salt knows that a great platform doesn't make a great community – I need you for that.

I imagine there will be a lot of questions. Some of you will be excited about this and some of you may not be quite so positive. That's cool... it's diversity that makes things here interesting.

The change won't be immediate. We still need a lot of time to make the logistics happen, but this is your opportunity to ask your questions and voice your feedback or concerns.

So go for it.