SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Discussion thread for Review - Sqwark! The Book

This is a dedicated thread for discussing the SitePoint article 'Review - Sqwark! The Book'

Anonymous
    SitePoint Community Guest
    (go articlebot )

nice article - lovin the whole tounge & cheek thing

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tongue in cheek thing?

Anonymous
    The book may not live up to its billing as being "packed with a wealth of inside information about the internet naming system and the murky, scamming...", but I think it serves a different purpose. I haven't read it, but from your review it seems to be a somewhat complete and permanant glimpse at a lost world. Like an archeologist finding a privy, I can imagine socioligists jumping for joy 50 years from now when stumbling across this.

Just my $.02.

Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a lot of crummy computer books out there... thanks for saving me $49.95!!!

Anonymous
    You advise us not to buy it and then include a link to Amazon telling us to buy it for $49.95, what the ?

Ex-SitePointer silver trophy
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by choazart
    There are a lot of crummy computer books out there... thanks for saving me $49.95!!!
    Its not really a "computer" book. It is a reprint of the posts of a now defunct domain name discussion community.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    You advise us not to buy it and then include a link to Amazon telling us to buy it for $49.95, what the ?
    Good point. Actually, I do that for all my reviews. Because, even though I advise you to do one thing, you still might want to do another. So, I like to recommend a place to buy it, if you still want to get it.

The book may not live up to its billing as being "packed with a wealth of inside information about the internet naming system and the murky, scamming...", but I think it serves a different purpose. I haven't read it, but from your review it seems to be a somewhat complete and permanant glimpse at a lost world. Like an archeologist finding a privy, I can imagine socioligists jumping for joy 50 years from now when stumbling across this.
    Interesting thought, but I have to disagree. It is a poorly run discussion community. That's not a lost world... it happens today. They are all over with people going after each other like this. If you mean "back to the days when domain names were more valuable" then you may have a point, but you don't have to pay $49.95 for these books to get that effect. But, my review is obviously my opinion. So, buy it and let us know what you think.

Thanks again everyone!

SitePoint Enthusiast Digital.Knight's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's called the Amazon.com Affiliate program.
    Cheers...
    -Brian

Alex
    Grassioisos.Very GOOD Site!!! Alex