SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok all here's my dilemma..

Someone emailed me a ducument that I must sign and return to them. I printed it out and signed it, now I need to return it. I thought I could just scan it and then email it to them, but the thought never occured to me which format I would save it in. I tried .jpg, but when I view it, it is huge! I also saved it as a .pdf for acrobat reader and that seemed to work nice, but it's over 1 mb that I would have to transfer through email.

I heard from someone that if you had a scanner you could somehow use it as a fax machine in tandem with microsoft fax , which came installed on my machine.

Anybody have any ideas how I could get this too him without snail mailing it?

Thanks,
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Save it as .TIFF format from your Scanner. Then any fax software should be able to fax from that over your regular modem.

Another alternative is eFax.com which offers a service that allows you to fax from your mail client.

You can find out more at: http://www.efax.com/products/
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have eFax. It works great and is very cheap.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure that
    http://www.ureach.com provides faxing services.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have just recently discovered the exact same thing.

BobM: In order for you to use your PC, scanner and printer as a fax machine ..... you need to have Outlook installed with the Symantec Fax Starter Edition. Here's the link to Microsoft's Knowledge Base article;

http://support.microsoft.com/support...SRCH&SPR=OUT2K

If you need further instructions on how to set up the entire fax feature, just do a search on Microsoft's Knowledge Base for 'Symantec Fax Starter Edition'. That way, you can read the rest of the issues regarding whether you use Outlook 98 or Outlook 2000, and whether your run Windows 98 or Windows NT and so on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry it too so long to get back here. Thanks for the suggestions. It actually turned out to be alot easier than I thought. I signed up with one of the free online fax services, so I had that end of it taken care of. I just had to figure out how I could SEND a fax. I said earlier that my machine already had Microsoft fax installed. I'm guessing that alot machines do. Anyhow using Microsoft fax you can send a fax using your own modem and it is very easy to use.

One thing I noticed though, When I'm in the process of sending a fax, my PSP program launches and opens the documents that I am faxing. On the bottom it says something like "reading name of document" and then after that it says "printing name of document." I found that kinda wierd. If I didn't have PSP I don't know if I would be able to fax or not.

Hey Wayne thanks for filling me in on the .tiff thing, that helped tremendously.

av: thanks for the link and info. I may go this route if I decide to leave the free online service.
    Bob Messinger
    Movie-Fever.com - News, Reviews, Trailers..
    Movie Fever Forums - Visit and discuss movies with other fans!