SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

opening a new window & pop up stoppers

i'm thinking of having new window open when a link is clicked, but i am not sure if it would work on a computer with pop up stoppers on it.

do pop up stopper disable any kind of pop up windows - the ones that open onLoad etc as well as the ones that open with javascript?
    Goals are dreams with deadlines
    -------------------------------------
    Nimlok Trade Show Displays Booths and Exhibits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most pop-up blockers (i.e. the ones built-in to Mozilla and Opera) will only disable popups created during page load/unload (i.e. using the "onload" attribute of the <body> tag). Unless the user has specified otherwise, popups when a link is clicked should still work. For an example, open Mozilla, Firebird, or Opera and try to give somebody reputation (using the "Rate" button on the bottom of each post). The rep window should open up.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks Vinnie!
    this is what i thought about the ones built into browsers. but what about pop up stoppers you load separately on your computer?
    Goals are dreams with deadlines
    -------------------------------------
    Nimlok Trade Show Displays Booths and Exhibits

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The better pop-up stoppers are configurable, i.e. the user decides what they will and won't allow. It can be anything from "force new-window links to open in same window" to "kill any javascript links". The best way around this is to make sure your pages will work with Javascript disabled. The only time I rely on Javascript 100% is either when there's no other way around my problem, or if it's in a controlled environment (example: an IE-only Intranet).