User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mysql_fetch_array VS. fetch_row VS. fetch_assoc

Hey folks.

I've always been under the impression that using mysql_fetch_array() was a no-no because there was a serious performance reduction as many articles on the web suggest. (e.g. http://www.devarticles.com/art/1/295/2)

But I can't help noticing that the manual states...

"An important thing to note is that using mysql_fetch_array() is not significantly slower than using mysql_fetch_row(), while it provides a significant added value."

So what I am now wondering is what is the ultimate way to fetch a row of data?

Obvioulsy mysql_fetch_row() is no good to us if we want the field names in our returned row.

So, is the performance hit so signicantly small with mysql_fetch_array() that it is not worth worrying about, as the manual seems to suggest, or should we be using mysql_fetch_assoc(), or should we be using mysql_fetch_array($record_set, MYSQL_ASSOC)?

thx

"Of" != "Have" bronze trophy Jeff Lange's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking, I don't see a reason for using mysql_fetch_array() if you never use the numerical index.

However, for speed differences, it will be extremely minimal.

(as for mysql_fetch_array($record_set, MYSQL_ASSOC), it is the exact same, only it will work with versions of PHP below 4.0.4 I believe.)
    Who walks the stairs without a care
    It shoots so high in the sky.
    Bounce up and down just like a clown.
    Everyone knows its Slinky.