SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all .I've read the sales pitch at the Web Postion Gold site, can anyone tell me whether they have used this prodcut and what results they have had.Is it worth getting?

Regards Andy

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, its an excellent product for net marketing...

It has its own submittal program (I prefer to do mine by hand), but I also know of people who have gotten good results through the webposition gold submittal feature. I think the reason being that the web position team actually make the engines think it is a manual submission unlike the thousands of other submittal program...

It has loads of other stuff.. An EXCELLENT moitoring feature, which allows you to see where your site ranks under as many words as you like. It will run searches on all the engines (that are accurate) and then give you deatiled report... Imagine doing that manually !!!!!

Plus loads of hints and tips on how to make your pages better for specific engines or in general...

There are reguylar updates as the engines change, and when you open up the program it automatically prompts you to update

All in all I give it 10 outta 10
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding
    Wannabebig Bodybuilding Forums - Wanna be bigger and stronger?
    At Large Nutrition - nutritional supplements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To a large extent I'd agree with Cloughie although WPG does have some drawbacks. The number of supported engines is small but includes the major ones. It doesn't include regional versions though for my clients in the UK. Whilst support is good it still takes them time to update, MSN was not supported for a couple of months for instance.

Out of all the packages available it's probably the best, although the weaknesses where still too much for us and we decided to write our own solutions which do things exactly how I want.
    Simon Conroy,
    PPC Bid Management and ROI Tracking Solutions
    www.BidBuddy.co.uk www.ROIstats.co.uk

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply lads. Simon you wrote your own program for the UK market. The site I intend to promote is aimed at this market. I have had a look at yout site. Do you think you could email me prices. I have no idea what this would cost other than the price of web postion gold.

Thanks for your time.

Regards Andy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Andy, thanks for your kind words, you've no e-mail in your profile but if you fill out the form on the site we'll do you a free report.
    Simon Conroy,

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have mixed feelings about Web Position Gold.

I agree that it provides loads of information about your site -- things you can use to improve ratings. My problem is that I'm not sure how relevant the information really is.

Here's what I mean: I give WPG my site and ask it to rate my site for a particular search engine. I also ask it to compare my site to the top 5 or 10 sites.

I'll get a score back, plus lots of information and tips on how to improve my site. I also get a list of the top 5 or 10 sites.

What confuses me is that if I rate those 5 or 10 sites, I'll see that they may rate low in many categories!?! If they rate low, then why do they return so high? If I follow WPG's suggestions, then I end up with a site that WPG rates high, but maybe not one that compares with the top 5 or 10 sites for that particular search engine. (Granted, this doesn't always happen -- but it does happen a lot)

I've done some experimenting where I used a doorway page optimised according to WPG and another doorway page manually optimised according to the top 10 returns. In all cases, my manually optimised page ended up rating higher than my WPG one.

So ... I'm not saying that WPG's information is bad -- I'm just not all that sure how useful it is in real life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The top 5 sites may be cloaked so that the page you see is different to the page the search engine sees.

Using a system which identifies IP addresses or user agents, it is possible to serve different pages to different visitors which combined with a databse of known spider details means you may not be analyzing the actual page which got the position.

The page you see may also have been swapped after the search engine updated so that again it is different.
    Simon Conroy,

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody comment the following products, or tell me their experieance:

Addweb
    Dynamic
    Positionweaver
    Submitwolf
    Trafficseeker
    Agentwebranking

I have absolutely no idea what program I should avoid (they all got 5 stars at Tucows...).
    Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used it for about 2 years now. GREAT RESULTS! I started off a rookie and now I consider myself an expert, just because of WPG. I really stay away from the page generator though, unless absolutely necessary because of the poor "visual" quality. I've used it with 30-40 DW pages and I see them doing well all the time!

Keep at it and you'll see the difference.
    Frank
    PLAY DISC GOLF!
    BEST DARN SPORT ON EARTH
    Professional Disc Golf Association

what a sport!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, a client of mine wants to buy this...i dont know if its good though...

149 is a lot...maybe 60 dollars...

hmm, i dunno.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addweb is only $59
    Submitwolf $99
    Submission2000 from $49

And I love their interface.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what else to say except that it will most likely be one of the best ROI on any software you've ever bought.

In 97 we averaged 3.5k visits a month. 98, 4.5k a month. Then at the end of 98 beginning of 99 I started in with webposition.....99 we averaged 6k a month and now in 2k, we're averageing about 15k a month....

I check the logs within webposition, great features that will let you know what keyword and where each page ranks individually so you can track your DW pages results yourself.

I've used submit wolf a while now and use it sparingly. Not to much into the mass submissions or auto submit programs, they aren't too up to date (as far as daily or weekly updates as webposition does) so submit wolf can get you into trouble with spamming if you don't watch it. But, its a cool program that is useful for getting a few linkbacks to your site.

Go ahead, try WebPositionGold, definitely won't hurt!

Best of luck to you,
    Frank
    PLAY DISC GOLF!
    BEST DARN SPORT ON EARTH

what a sport!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web Position Gold

I use WPG for a variety of clients and get pretty good results.

The page critic is handy as it gives good advice about how to modify your pages for particular engines. We use this info plus stuff from loads of other sources to help us get good rankings for clients.

I'd agree with the point about "steering clear of the page generator". The pages are not the most visually appealing pages! Best to code up pages by hand or create them in you usual editor.

The reporter tool is worth the money! Saves us hours and enables us to produce detailed reports of which pages rank best for which keywords. We now have several clients with consistent top ten rankings for all their chosen keywords aswell as our fair share of No1's.

I too wish they'd add UK engine support. Would save us hours.

Go for it. WPG is definitely worth a try!

Have a good one

Justin
    http://www.haighdesign.co.uk
    Professional Web Design & Search Engineering Solutions From Haigh Design Ltd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have both WPG and SubmitWolfPro, and I have favoured SubmitWolf for the last nine months. I certainly don't pay any atttention to what WPG says about how your site should be set up. Also I've heard that for submissions, WPG pages have been rumbled by many engines which now won't accept submissions from it. But I can't confirm it myself, as I have been using SubmitWolf for submissions, as I say, and although 99% of the time I submit to the top ten engines manually, whenever I test its submissions to the top ten it always gets things listed.
    I don't particularly trust the position reporting from either of them, (I've seen both of them report absolute rubbish, meaning I feel obliged to check what they say, which in turn means I could have just checked for myself in the first place) so I've been using Copernic2000Pro for a quick 'top ten at a glance' fix, and Copernic also definitively tells me which engines I am listed in and which I am not. If I have to know exactly (which is not always the case) then I'll do it manually. I'm only bothered about first page on the top ten engines anyway, anything less in my book is a fail.
    If anyone else has any feedback on what I've heard about WPG, either confirming or denying, please let us know. I don't want to mislead anyone, but I wouldn't say it unless I was fairly sure (according to what I've heard from several sources).

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now (after testing them all) bought ADDWEB standard version ($59). I love their interface (WPG is a mess...). Submission is easy with this program.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using WPG for almost two years now and I have never had any submission problems, any ranking problems, or anything else for that matter. I do know that the page / keyword feature is really cool because it will not only give you a listing of what ranking you are, but more importantly....which PAGE is ranked for EACH Word, something I have found no where else.

Hope you all have the luck I've had. As for the rankings, I believe WPG is a heck of a lot better than a few months ago with there updates. They don't pick up the paid rankings (aka...GoTo's listings) that are incorporated on other top 10 engines now. But, if you don't think there doing a good job with their reporting/ranking feature....there is an option within WPG's reporting that will let you view the exact page of the search (it takes a snap shot of it). So I'm not sure how the ranking could be wrong???

You all have a merry xmas!
    Frank
    PLAY DISC GOLF!
    BEST DARN SPORT ON EARTH

what a sport!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I've had consistently innacurate reporting on Hotbot and Lycos (this might be something to do with me being in the UK, (and getting redirected to e.g. lycos.co.uk) but I've heard the same from people in America, and consistently it's reporting on AV was screwy (also confirmed by others). Also, if you submitted a few pages each day you get "Too many URLs message", I believe because many people were over-abusing the service (and because it is so popular a program, it may have been 'made an example of').
    It's over-use of the Reporter though, that ticked a lot of engines off, especially AV.
    OTOH, I've heard many people say like IdahoFallsDude that they have never had a problem with it, I don't know Idaho's reputation, and many people whose opinion I profoundly respect have said the same, no problem. But when I hear from people who say they've had the same experience as I have, I know I'm not hallucinating about the Reporter problems. I've never had the 'Too many URLs problem' myself, so I'm prepared to concede that it may not be WPG at fault, but too many people have complained about the Reporter for them all to be wrong.
    Anyway, good look to you all, whatever you use, as long as you're happy with what you use,that's good enough.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, and I just found thid in another forum:

Subject: NL Block

"I am the CEO of Northern Light and I wanted to respond to the question one of the list members posted inquiring as to why we blocked Web Position Gold.

Web Position Gold was hitting our servers for 500,000 queries per day. (The other number reported on your list serve of 300,000
    per day understates the volume.) This required significant capital investment to service the queries, slowed response down on
    legitimate end user queries, crashed servers (though thankfully not the whole service, but used more aggressively or by more people,
    Web Position Gold could have), and impaired the perceived value of Northern Light to its advertising customers by lowering the quality
    of our page views from an advertising response rate perspective.

So that's confirmation that at least one engine blocked reporting from WPG, I doubt it's the only one, but traffic from Northern Light is no great shakes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys,

We use WPG reporter to track our sites and have found it reliable. Although, what we have found is that if we run a huge report, for lots of keywords and to verify many pages, the results vary quite wildly!

Running a report for say a dozen keywords and a dozen pages gives us reliable reports if we search the first 30 results. Altavista etc seem to be ok with us for these quantities.

I'd be interested in your thoughts...

Have a good Xmas

<Edited by simon c on 12-23-2000 at 12:29 PM>
    Professional Web Design & Search Engineering Solutions From Haigh Design Ltd