SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning Curve, how long did it take u 2 learn...?

I was just interested in how long did it take you self-teachers to gain a intermediate proficiency in some of the following programs : DWMX suite, Jasc PSP, and Adobe Web Collection suite (PS & Illustrator)?

I'm definitely not trying to build 5000 page site, nor am I against hiring a professional web deisigner to do large projects. My goals are really to able to go in and feel confident that if I want to change the arrangement, touchup logos/images, or even do more thorough changes, it would be possible. I'm not looking to be a professional over night, just want to acquire a moderate level of experience; if, with time my skills become more advanced that would be a bonus. I'm not a complete beginner. I have prior experience working with Dreamweaver/Flash/Fireworks 4, a bit of PSP, and rearranging coding in nuke-clone programs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took me about two weeks to get comfortable and start using photoshop and illustrator, that was about 3-4 years ago..good times.

-rsdl

chown linux:users\ /world Hartmann's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver MX was really easy for me. I am still trying to figure out how to use Photoshop to the utmost, but I am not a designer so that puts me at a small disadvantage. If you have experience with Fireworks I think that Photoshop will be very simple for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Photoshop took me about a week to learn, but I was 12 then so it will probably take about one day for you to get familiar with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me Illustrator was pretty easy - I used to do a lot of AutoCad in Highschool so I had vector experience.

Dreamweaver took me about a couple weeks to feel pretty comfortable. I went through the Dreamweaver 4 Hands-On Training book by Garo Green & Lynda Weinman which helped a lot.

Photoshop on the other hand was a real challenge. I quickly could do many basic things, but I always seemed to have problems figuring out how to do what I wanted. But slowly over time, I have become quick handy with Photoshop as well. I still keep learning new things in Photoshop!
    jinx
    superbubba.com
    If you want to learn something . . . start doing it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dreamweaver MX was by far the easiest software that I learned to use. It took me a few days to completely familiarize myself with the features.

Photoshop was also fairly easy to grasp. It helps that I took design classes, but I also spent most of the time learning it at home. Now it's second nature. I recommend PS before any other image manipulation/creation tool.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the majority of what has been said here. Just a few days with any of the above programs will allow you enough time to get familar with any one program. However, to get proficient with a particular tool, I suguest that you pick up a descent book and go thru it, and then keep it at hand when you need a refresher. (I perfer "New Riders" publications, easy to read, not too much extra stuff to get in the way)
    But, from what you described, your just looking for minimal experience with a particular product. So, I say just take a weekend and poke around and try various features out. Won't take you too long to get some meaningful results from your efforts.
    ...good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, it should only take a day or two to "familiarise" yourself with any of the above programs but to really "learn" them, nothing will happen over night. A few weeks or so, and even after that you will find yourself discovering little nooks and crannies for a long time afterwards.

Dreamweaver will be the easiest as it's not the most advanced program in the world, at least in code view. I use PSP on a regular basis and it took me about a week to pick up most of the basics and I'm not a real big fan of Adobe products so consequently, I've never used Illustrator and my short experience with Photoshop was not pleasant