SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I need to make a password protection javascript. here are the details: When someone enters a the page for the first time I want them to input a password, then have a cookie be stored in on their browser. The next time they want to enter the page I want the script to redirect the user to the page without having to input their password again. any help would be appreciated!!
    Free Science Homework Help
    http://www.physicsforums.com

Irritability Defined
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm, you *are* aware that anyone can get past that by disabling JScript?

That said, have a look at http://www.javascript-page.com/passwords/ - there should be one for you down near the bottom.
    My 2 Cents (or is that 2.2 Cents including GST?)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As BC pointed up... beware the use of JavaScript password schemes of any kind.

No matter what you've heard elsewhere, there is no possible way -- none, nada, zip, no-how -- that you can protect that script from the eyes of others.

Anyone with even a bit of JavaScript know-how will walk through such a script in seconds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

With the above caveats in mind:

Instead of simply storing the password in the cookie, you can also store the redirect url -- this implies that you need to store the url in a js file (which makes it more difficult, but not impossible for users to find). Then when a user appears at the site, the code should first look for the cookie, extract both password and url, check the password and simply redirect with a window.location.

Again, if this is a sensitive page, you need cgi, which also isn't absolutely secure, but it does stop an Ivory Soap number of people (99.99%).

Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still