SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 67
  1. #1
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Best Operating System

    Who is the best Operating System....
    (1) Windows XP
    (2) Windows 7
    (3) Windows 8

  2. #2
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi.Windows 8 is the best operating system.

  3. #3
    Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    cpradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiplabro View Post
    Who is the best Operating System....
    (1) Windows XP
    (2) Windows 7
    (3) Windows 8
    Why only those three? They all belong to Microsoft so, the "Who" is irrelevant. I personally use Debian Linux and have been for many years. I simply utilize it because I can make it work for me, versus me altering it enough so I can work in it.

    I've also utilized Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows 8 through relatives and work, and I don't have any complaints with any of them, really. They work, they function, and they really aren't that difficult to use.

    Then there are Macs, which I haven't used since college (sorry Mac lovers). I again, don't have any real beef with them, other than they've desperately been trying to lock down their platform (including where you still apps from). I see advantages and disadvantages to that, but I'm not sure I like it (Microsoft is attempting the same fate with Windows 8).

  4. #4
    Community Advisor bronze trophy
    fretburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,402
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    My wife has Windows 8 on her laptop and I really don't like it. I've heard that it's better if you're using it on a touchscreen device, like a Surface Pro, but I find it confusing and difficult to get things done (I'll admit that could just be unfamiliarity).

    I much preferred Windows 7, although I've recently switched to Linux and have to say I'm liking it so far.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    John_Betong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    1,833
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
    ...
    ...
    ...
    I much preferred Windows 7, although I've recently switched to Linux and have to say I'm liking it so far.
    I am struggling to setup Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit, it is hard work to install programs which are not in the Ubuntu repository. It seems every program has a different setup method and to make matters worse non-intuititive sudo commands are used. The sudo commands have to be Googled and care taken the correct version is selected. I cannot understand why some installed programs do not show after a reboot and extra Googling is required to ensure the program is available after shutting (SP) down.

    Off Topic:

    edit: As far as Ubuntu is concerned then:

    I think the problem is that the system is protected far too much and also designed by a committee.

    If the installation problems were sorted the system would be far better and less of a geek's toy.

    Most of the time I am impressed once the program is running. There does seem a long delay (about 5 seconds) after selecting a program and/or device and think some sort of rotating icon indication would benefit the user to let them know something is happening.
    Last edited by John_Betong; Feb 4, 2014 at 09:54. Reason: spelling and added operating system
    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

    How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

    Be sure to congratulate Patche on earning Member of the Month for July 2014

  6. #6
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,222
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    Off Topic:

    I think the problem is that the system is protected far too much and also designed by a committee.

    If the installation problems were sorted the system would be far better and less of a geek's toy.

    Most of the time I am impressed once the program is running. There does seem a long delay (about 5 seconds) after selecting a program and/or device and think some sort of rotating icon indication would benefit the user to let them know something is happening.
    Off Topic:

    Are you talking about Ubuntu or Windows?


    Yes, I can understand the feeling... Linux (Ubuntu or any other distro) can be a bit frustrating at times. Like everything else, though, it has its advantages. But yep, it is a bit tough to get used to it, especially after using Windows. It makes you even lazier

    Also, although the interface is nice, it doesn't have the stylish, clean and polish look that Mac or Windows have

  7. #7
    Community Advisor bronze trophy
    fretburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,402
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Betong View Post
    I am struggling to setup Ubuntu 12.04 64 Bit, it is hard work to install programs which are not in the Ubuntu repository. It seems every program has a different setup method and to make matters worse non-intuititive sudo commands are used. The sudo commands have to be Googled and care taken the correct version is selected. I cannot understand why some installed programs do not show after a reboot and extra Googling is required to ensure the program is available after shitting down.
    I think Linux has come a long way as a desktop OS since I first tried it (some years ago now) and is a lot friendlier in many aspects, I suspect largely due to the efforts of distros like Ubuntu. I did try Ubuntu a while back, but I'm not a big fan of the recent Unity interface.. it was quite slow on my machine when I tried it. Now I'm using Linux Mint XFCE which is based on Ubuntu (so it has access to all the same packages) but is much more sprightly.

    As for installing software though, on the occasions where something I wanted wasn't available in the repositories, the website has had a .deb package available which makes installation a doddle.

  8. #8
    From space with love silver trophy
    SpacePhoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Poole, UK
    Posts
    5,016
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 8 seems more of an OS for tablets where you have touchscreens, I can't see the point to it if you've not got a touch screen. I've heard that Windows 9 releases next year, so if you're not in a rush to get a new OS, you might want to hold out till Windows 9 comes out and try a demo of it before you commit to any particular version of Windows
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

  9. #9
    SitePoint Mentor bronze trophy
    John_Betong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    1,833
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
    I think Linux has come a long way as a desktop OS since I first tried it (some years ago now) and is a lot friendlier in many aspects, I suspect largely due to the efforts of distros like Ubuntu. I did try Ubuntu a while back, but I'm not a big fan of the recent Unity interface.. it was quite slow on my machine when I tried it. Now I'm using Linux Mint XFCE which is based on Ubuntu (so it has access to all the same packages) but is much more sprightly.

    As for installing software though, on the occasions where something I wanted wasn't available in the repositories, the website has had a .deb package available which makes installation a doddle.
    I have tried Linux on many times ever since it was first introduced but keep reverting back to Windows since it is so much easier. The main reason for using Linux once again is it appears essential for an online Golang/Apache setup.

    Off Topic:

    As for installing software though, on the occasions where something I wanted wasn't available in the repositories, the website has had a .deb package available which makes installation a doddle.
    Eventually managed to install Xampp after laboriously ploughing through the following installation instructions

    http://www.apachefriends.org/faq_linux.html

    I also upgraded the Windows Xampp version and it was far easier to install.

    Learn how to be ready for The New Move to Discourse

    How to make Make Money Now with a *NEW* look

    Be sure to congratulate Patche on earning Member of the Month for July 2014

  10. #10
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Jeff Mott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,268
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fretburner View Post
    My wife has Windows 8 on her laptop and I really don't like it.
    Yup, I hate it too. Trying to find the basic OS features feels like I'm hunting for hidden easter eggs.
    "First make it work. Then make it better."

  11. #11
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,177
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried Windows 8. I preferred XP to Windows 7, but that might just be because I used it far more. I still use Windows 7 once a week, when I do admin. for a local group, and I find it quite frustrating, although part of that is just lack of familiarity.

    We switched to Ubuntu Linux several years ago and I love it - so simple even my husband can use it. Seriously. When we had Windows, he was forever summoning me to come and help him with one thing or another, but he's hardly ever needed assistance with Ubuntu.

  12. #12
    Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,606
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mott View Post
    Yup, I hate it too. Trying to find the basic OS features feels like I'm hunting for hidden easter eggs.
    One of the biggest reasons why Windows 8 fails horribly in my eyes. Heck, the first time that I used it, it took me 10 minutes just to find the control panel.

    The metro interface simply does not work desktops or power users.

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    I haven't tried Windows 8. I preferred XP to Windows 7, but that might just be because I used it far more. I still use Windows 7 once a week, when I do admin. for a local group, and I find it quite frustrating, although part of that is just lack of familiarity.
    Once Windows XP was basically considered stable and reliable (more or less after the first service pack), it worked very well.

    I'm primarily a Windows 7 user these days, but there are a number of things that were left out that were present in Windows XP that I liked. I'm running both classic shell and 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to bring back some of the stuff that was available in Windows XP.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

  13. #13
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,938
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Gotta go with fretburner on the choice of OS. I too got fed up of Windows 8 and switched to Linux Mint last year.
    I had to learn some new tools (such as Gimp), but having invested some time, I'm now as productive as ever.
    There is the occasional thing that point blank refuses to work, but the only thing I boot into Windows for nowadays is Skyrim.

    @fretburner ; How are you getting on with XFCE? I opted fr Cinnamon and haven't been disappointed.
    In fact I recently discovered superbar and conky which I'm loving.

  14. #14
    Community Advisor bronze trophy
    fretburner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,402
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    I had to learn some new tools (such as Gimp)
    I hear you there, I've used Gimp a couple times but I still find it limiting compared to Photoshop.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    How are you getting on with XFCE? I opted fr Cinnamon and haven't been disappointed.
    In fact I recently discovered superbar and conky which I'm loving.
    XFCE is pretty good.. I chose it over Cinnamon as I wasn't sure how well my laptop would handle it (just a basic graphics chip) and I'm more concerned about the system feeling responsive than looking good (XFCE isn't ugly, but it's nothing special). Superbar looks interesting, I might give it a try.

  15. #15
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Birmingham, England
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Windows 7 I guess, i found Windows 8 a bit awkward and not easy to use. Windows 7 is easy simple and smooth.

  16. #16
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Ahmedabad, India, India
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Microsoft's All Operating systems are really great.

    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows XP
    Windows 7
    Windows 8

  17. #17
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,938
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paresh Shrimali View Post
    Microsoft's All Operating systems are really great.
    Really?
    Why?

    What possible reason would you have to be using Windows 98 in 2013??

  18. #18
    Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    cpradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,129
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paresh Shrimali View Post
    Windows ME
    Really?!? Really?!? ME (Major Epidemic), (Massive Error), etc. I remember ME all too well, it is what switched me to Linux. I booted it up and it crashed when I changed the wallpaper. I'm not sorry that catastrophe didn't last very long.

  19. #19
    Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,606
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    Really?
    Why?

    What possible reason would you have to be using Windows 98 in 2013??
    The last time I saw an installation of Windows 98 out in the wild was 5 years ago. It was running a piece of proprietary software for some scientific equipment, and the software couldn't really run on a newer O/S without some annoying hiccups. Though at this point, I'm pretty sure the equipment has been replaced.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

  20. #20
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,399
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally XP/7/8 have very little difference. If you installed SDD w/ any of them then boot up time should be well under 1 minute. Personally, I prefer Windows 7 for stability.... I once thought 8 was stable until I installed 8.1... it broke all my drivers and there was no way to uninstall 8.1 (thanks M$!). I understand it's not M$ job to make driver compatible to 8.1 but failing to provide uninstall option is clearly a sign of unstable OS... Because of this I take Windows 7 which is probably the most stable M$ OS today.

  21. #21
    Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Sydney, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    16,812
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paresh Shrimali View Post
    Microsoft's All Operating systems are really great.

    Windows 98
    Windows ME
    Windows XP
    Windows 7
    Windows 8
    Microsoft's DOS 1/2/3/4/5/6/ Win95/98/ME was never as good as either of Microsoft's Alternative operating systems.

    Microsoft Xenix never really went anywhere (it was the least popular of the three operating systems an IBM PC could run) but Microsoft OS/2v1/ WinNT3.1/WinNT4/Win2000/XP/Vista/7/8 has been a reasonably good operating system in its odd versions (while going backwards every time with the even versions)
    Stephen J Chapman

    javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

  22. #22
    Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Pullo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    5,938
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sg707 View Post
    Personally XP/7/8 have very little difference.
    I don't think that's true.
    There is a significant difference in user interface between XP and 7 and double that between 7 and 8 (think Metro).

    I hear what you're saying about the upgrade to 8.1 though.
    I tried to upgrade a latop recently. It all went smoothly until it wanted a microsoft email address to continue. I then clicked "Stop installation" and the thing crashed.
    Recovery was possible, but I had to zap the current user profile and reset all of my preferences.

  23. #23
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Jeff Mott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,268
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pullo View Post
    It all went smoothly until it wanted a microsoft email address to continue.
    Oh, man. I remember that. I have zero interest in signing up for a Microsoft account, so I had looked around for some kind of button to "Skip" or "Proceed without". But nada. I'm not even through the installation yet and I already had to google to find out how to get past this screen. Turns out we have to click "Create an account", then on the next screen click "Use existing account", which I'm told means it uses the local computer's account.

    In case anyone missed that fun little detail, let me repeat: In order to not create an account, you have to click Create an Account.

    Windows 8 "intuitiveness", ladies and gentlemen.
    "First make it work. Then make it better."

  24. #24
    Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Northeastern USA
    Posts
    4,606
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mott View Post
    Oh, man. I remember that. I have zero interest in signing up for a Microsoft account, so I had looked around for some kind of button to "Skip" or "Proceed without". But nada. I'm not even through the installation yet and I already had to google to find out how to get past this screen. Turns out we have to click "Create an account", then on the next screen click "Use existing account", which I'm told means it uses the local computer's account.

    In case anyone missed that fun little detail, let me repeat: In order to not create an account, you have to click Create an Account.

    Windows 8 "intuitiveness", ladies and gentlemen.
    Aaaand this is reason #6542 why Windows 8 is so vehemently disliked.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

  25. #25
    #titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    molona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    from Madrid to Heaven
    Posts
    8,222
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Flow View Post
    Aaaand this is reason #6542 why Windows 8 is so vehemently disliked.
    Not the only one, of course. I'm fine with W7. Hating W8 with every bit of my soul.

    8.1 made things better but still...


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •