User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please review my one page portfolio

Here is my updated one page portfolio. Built in Wordpress. I went for minimalist design but not sure if it's too lean to communicate my front end skills. I'm also a little concerned about load time.

Specifically, I had issues with the responsive nav loading behind the slider on some devices. Any feedback on that issue stating what device you're on would be awesome.

http://justineuteneier.com/

Thanks!

SitePoint Addict bronze trophy vectorialpx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello!

Here it is some feedback to consider:

1. there is a lot of blank space; unused space. You can fill it with nice screens from your projects or with nice and relevant images.
    2. try to make your menu fixed. It's the only way you can have a nice navigation. If I need to go to a section easy I must scroll up and click a menu button. I know it's a small page but, this is not the point.
    3. the "about me" section does not convince me to hire you. You should add there some LinkedIn link and some of your abilities (like "CSS since 2010", "HTML since 2008" and others)
    4. The contact form does not look so nice. You can increase fields padding and put it on the center (fields aligned vertically) - it will look cleaner. Now it's spread all over the page.
    5. If I click the send button I get a yellow rectangle (looks like it's some wordpress plugin - it must be made nicer)

Some of your projects are quite nice.
    Good luck and, happy clients!
    Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one - Bill Gates
    > photos | admin panel

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello.

As vectorialpx said, I think it could be better if you add more relevant information into your "about me" section.

And something else:
    when I shrink my browser, at some point, your menu becomes like this :

SNAG-0000 2-4-2014 11.45.00 AM.jpg

try to solve this problem...

Generally, I liked your design.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to you both. Okey what pixel dimension did you get that?

I'm working to incorporate some of your suggestions today. Stay tuned.

cheers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed the navigation issue. How is it working now?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Basically you don't need the link "home" in your navigation, since as soon as you click on any other link the navigation the navigation disappers. So you can only use the link "home" if you are anyhow on the "home" section of the page

Best, Lukas

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point Lukas. Thanks. I'd like to add a feature at the bottom of each section which takes the page back to the top. Will work on that today.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi justinae.

I don't know what's the problem, but I checked your site in Chrome & Firefox and that menu problem still exist on both.

Here's the details :
    I start to shrink my browser window. In about 880px width the menu layout is broken.
    continue to shrink and the problem is solved now.
    Until in about 740px width which the menu layout brokes again.
    Shrink again and the menu turns to Dropdown menu perfectly.

No one has the same problem with menu ?

BTW...now your "about" section is better justinae.

cheers.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    okey try clearing your cache and see if you're having the same problem.

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice clean design. But it took me a whole to figure out what the website was about. The first seconds (most important seconds) I thought the website had something to do with hardwood flooring. Then I scrolled down, and saw the portfolio which made me think construction. At the very bottom I saw the real services, but that was much too late. Imagine a business owner who wants a new design coming to this site. Or even a webmaster that is looking for a new design. They would click almost instantly!
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your design. Who is your target audience though? Saying your a front end WordPress developer might not mean anything to a small business owner who is not particularly technical. Maybe change your language a bit to suit a less technical audience depending on who your idea client is.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justinae View Post
    okey try clearing your cache and see if you're having the same problem.
    thanks!
    Hi.
    I did that before justinae. I did that again right now and still the same problem...

Although I think it's not very important issue, because it only appears between about overall 20px width & other times it's OK. And of course it seems no one has the same problem with your nav. So forget about that...

Nice and clean design justinae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello admin,

If u want to reduce your one page website so below numbers of tips as :

1) Optimize your images
    2) Reduce 301 Redirection
    3) used compress and optimize content
    4) Minimize HTTP Requests

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Feb 6, 2014 at 06:58. Reason: No self-promotion, please

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design is very effective and neat.

I would suggest you that you make your header / menu fixed on the screen, and maybe smaller (less height), so that you utilize your home link and the whole menu, and eliminate need for scrolling.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's clean and all, but I think you can still improve the contact form. The fields and the button styling look a bit off to me.

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jugtk View Post
    The fields and the button styling look a bit off to me.
    That doesn't convey a great deal. I'm sure it would be more helpful to justinae if you explained in what way you think they're "off".

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that the concept of your one page website is very good, really attractive. Your site has very nice design and content and it is well organized. You can do improvements like: Someone with fast internet connection needs too much time to load your page you could think how to improve the load time of the page. You can create a logo because just writing your name as logo is not so attractive. Furthermore you can work at SEO of your website trying to receive organic traffic from google. Finally, I suggest you to improve your contact form, it has a very basic style, I think that you can create a more advanced contact form.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    That doesn't convey a great deal. I'm sure it would be more helpful to justinae if you explained in what way you think they're "off".
    I can't really say for sure, but it has something to do with the borders and the button's background/border color scheme. I'm not a designer but what I can say is that the contact form could definitely use some improvements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tested on both Chrome and Dolphin mobile Samsung S3, it loads pretty fast, color scheme pleasant, clean, just maybe the portfolio thumbnails need more colour, but that's just my oppinion. Also when you hover, the vertical dimension of the page is changing, couldn`t help notice that, i think would be better not to do that. Overall, it`s good.

GRAPHIC DESIGNER visualkreations's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good site overall.

Here are some things I would recommend:

- Space out your thumbnails for your work evenly so there is the same amount of space above and below each thumbnails. This might mean you would need to resize the thumbnails so they look right.

- Style the form a little more in terms of color and size make it blend with its background a little more.

- More of a questions, but does the site have to be on WordPress? It seems a little overkill for a simple portfolio site.

Nice job though. Keep it up!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jugtk View Post
    I can't really say for sure, but it has something to do with the borders and the button's background/border color scheme. I'm not a designer but what I can say is that the contact form could definitely use some improvements
    Thank you. I'll consider updating the contact form on the next revision.

Quote Originally Posted by webcosmo View Post
    Tested on both Chrome and Dolphin mobile Samsung S3, it loads pretty fast, color scheme pleasant, clean, just maybe the portfolio thumbnails need more colour, but that's just my oppinion. Also when you hover, the vertical dimension of the page is changing, couldn`t help notice that, i think would be better not to do that. Overall, it`s good.
    Thanks for that bit of testing. Very helpful! Are you seeing a scrolling sidebar appear from the browser that is causing the jumping? I'm not experiencing that on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by visualkreations View Post
    Good site overall.

- More of a questions, but does the site have to be on WordPress? It seems a little overkill for a simple portfolio site.

Nice job though. Keep it up!
    thanks! It's built in WP more as a principle in showing prospective clients/employers that I can use it.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The tile "Making thoughtfully crafted website" is partially concealed by image banner on Android Naked Browser (even with javascript and images loaded). Clicking on Portfolio takes me to the contact form which surprised me.

It does look nice. However I feel a bit like I'm looking at sepia photographs. Perhaps a little more cheery colours?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty clean however I think there's not enough content to convey what you know and that you are a developer right off of the bat. Someone made the comment that they thought it was about hardwood flooring at first, I agree with this and I think it's because the color scheme pretty much represents the exact same as the hardwood floor site in your portfolio coupled with the fact that when you visit your site it loads first in the slider. No love for the favicon? (no favicon?)

That said you have done a good job on making it clean and responsive, so well done you should be proud.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall nice design for a portfolio website, but if you want my advice I would change following things:
    1. Site looks a bit colorless, you could add some color to spice things up
    2. Portfolio thumbnails are black and white; it doesn't attract me to click those.
    3. Some customer testimonial would be great (y)

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall I think it is pretty nice, just a few things (most of which I'm sure has already been said).

#1: I'd add some styles for large resolutions too, it looks so narrow to me (I'm on 1980x1024).
    #2: Find a better way to display your previous work than those small little thumbnails.
    #3: I'm sure you can style the contact for a little bit better

Keep it up man!