SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Feedback for a Shopping Comparison Website

I've been working on creating a shopping comparison website that allows you to view pricing history for products, compare prices of products across different retailers, and get email or text notifications if the price drops below an amount you specify. The idea is that it helps consumers make good purchasing decisions by being able to see pricing history and prices across different retailers, as well as conveniently be notified when the price drops to a desired price.

The website is http://www.pricewombat.com/. I'm not 100% sure that I'll keep the name, though, as I've gotten mixed feedback on it. Currently it only supports Amazon, Best Buy, and Newegg, but I'll add all of the other major retailers eventually.

I really appreciate any feedback you might have, thanks!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tested using Firefox desktop.

I only did a limited review (couldn't look at "My Watches). Do you have a "test account" in place so as to not require creating an account?

I like the layout, looks to be responsive, that's a good thing.
    I like the pictures even if they don't have alt attribute values (not such a good thing).

The navigation and search seem good.

You may want to consider improving accessability for those without javascript, though I suppose if one wants to use a bookmark they would more than likely have javascript enabled.

The wombat videos are cute, but do they really have anything to do with getting started?
    Even so, I think the page's information is clear enough.

You should get more than a "coming soon" Help page in place before you move out of beta.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PriceWombat review

The first issue I found was that I need an account to view anything beyond your front page. If you want to build it that way, allow me to register with Facebook, I think it increases the number of registered users.
    You also have some design and usability issues:
    - no footer?
    - no sidebars?
    - short title, basically no kind of seo implemented
    - pricewombat.com doesn't redirect to www.pricewombat.com
    - capchas all over the place, although you ask people to login before doing anything. You need 1 capcha to register + 1 to login and that should be it. Don't annoy your users when you have under 10.000 registered users, you can't afford it.
    You asked us to review a price "comparison" website. It seems you don't have that. Your website works as a price ALERT website. Comparison would mean having the same product followed across multiple stores, not in time.
    The website name is not important.
    Use 1 rule to find a good domain name:
    If 5 out of 5 people can spell your domain name correctly when you just tell them about it (without writing it), you probably have a great name.
    Your domain fits the rule.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Tested using Firefox desktop.

I only did a limited review (couldn't look at "My Watches). Do you have a "test account" in place so as to not require creating an account?

I like the layout, looks to be responsive, that's a good thing.
    I like the pictures even if they don't have alt attribute values (not such a good thing).

The navigation and search seem good.

You may want to consider improving accessability for those without javascript, though I suppose if one wants to use a bookmark they would more than likely have javascript enabled.

The wombat videos are cute, but do they really have anything to do with getting started?
    Even so, I think the page's information is clear enough.

You should get more than a "coming soon" Help page in place before you move out of beta.
    Thanks for your feedback, I appreciate your advice. I agree, the pictures and videos of wombats on the Start Here page looked unprofessional, so I got rid of them. I'll definitely work on the Help page before launching as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LouiseS View Post
    The first issue I found was that I need an account to view anything beyond your front page. If you want to build it that way, allow me to register with Facebook, I think it increases the number of registered users.
    Facebook integration is a great idea! I'll look into how to do that and maybe try to add other registration options as well. The site is mostly usable without being registered, however. There really isn't any content beyond the home page and search page, aside from the Watches page which allows users to see all of the products they're tracking. Users who haven't registered can still view product pricing history, they just can't watch products.

You also have some design and usability issues:
    - no footer?
    - no sidebars?
    - short title, basically no kind of seo implemented
    There isn't any need for sidebars on the website, but I do plan on adding a few links at the bottom of the page, such as for the terms of service. I wanted to keep the design clean and make the website simple and easy to use.

- pricewombat.com doesn't redirect to www.pricewombat.com
    When I go to pricewombat.com, it redirects to www.pricewombat.com for me. It doesn't for you? I added redirect code into the .htaccess file, so I'm confused why it wouldn't be working for you. I'll look into this, thanks for alerting me to the issue.

- capchas all over the place, although you ask people to login before doing anything. You need 1 capcha to register + 1 to login and that should be it. Don't annoy your users when you have under 10.000 registered users, you can't afford it.
    I don't have a captcha for login or register. I only have captchas on the contact form, on the report problem form, and add store form when the user isn't logged in. I think captchas are necessary for all of those forms, but most users won't really need to submit any of the forms and if they do the captcha is easy since it's visual. When someone's logged in, there are no captchas.

You asked us to review a price "comparison" website. It seems you don't have that. Your website works as a price ALERT website. Comparison would mean having the same product followed across multiple stores, not in time.
    It's both, actually! There aren't very many products on the site yet, and not all of the ones that are have been "linked" together yet, but there are a number of products on there that have been added from the three stores I currently support and have been linked together. Here's an example:

http://www.pricewombat.com/p/105674/...D-Tablet-Black

If you had searched for the product and then clicked on it, or clicked on it from the home page, then it would have opened in a popup, but I also made it so that middle clicking on the products opens it in on a page by itself (like the above). As you can see, the pricing histories at the three different stores is all shown together. There are also links to the products to make visiting the store easy, and if the user is logged in then they can "watch" the products, as you noted, and receive an email or text alert when the price drops to their desired price.

The website name is not important.
    Use 1 rule to find a good domain name:
    If 5 out of 5 people can spell your domain name correctly when you just tell them about it (without writing it), you probably have a great name.
    Your domain fits the rule.
    That's a really good rule and test, thanks for sharing.

--

Thank you both for all of your feedback, I will work on all of the issues you pointed out!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I know yo have a Start Here link, which is good, but I'd still like to see some statement—at least on the home page—explaining what the site is for and why I should start here. People need a reason to start. don't rely on them just being inquisitive.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I know yo have a Start Here link, which is good, but I'd still like to see some statement—at least on the home page—explaining what the site is for and why I should start here. People need a reason to start. don't rely on them just being inquisitive.
    Thanks for your suggestion. I agree, I should have some sort of brief overview on the home page to let people know what the site is all about. I also plan to improve the Start Here page to make the instructions clearer, perhaps by adding some graphics or a short video.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a pretty good idea for the costumers ..So that they can review and compare the products and could provide feed back to the shopping websites..."Need Feedback for a Shopping Comparison Website" would be better if it provides rate tags of the products so that people can rate and compare the sites easily..

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Jan 31, 2014 at 07:11. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

Are there some limitations concerning the product search? If I try for instance to search i.e. for the Book "Vintage Vienna" I get only some Vintage stickers, and when I use the ISBN on the book I get no results...

Thank you!
    Best, Lukas

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas83 View Post
    Hi!

Are there some limitations concerning the product search? If I try for instance to search i.e. for the Book "Vintage Vienna" I get only some Vintage stickers, and when I use the ISBN on the book I get no results...

Thank you!
    Best, Lukas
    Thanks for taking a look at the site. Sorry for not answering your question, I didn't get an email notification for your post for some reason..

The product search only returns products that have been "added" to the website. If someone searches using a product's URL, then it will add the product if it's not already on the website, but aside from that products are added when people click the bookmarklet when on a retailers website.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see just header on homepage, where is rest of page?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasom View Post
    I can see just header on homepage, where is rest of page?
    Ha! You picked a really bad time to review my site. There's currently a bug and the site isn't fully operational at the moment. I'm working on it!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue has been fixed and the site is working normally again. I've been putting a lot of work into the website and I think I've implemented all of the suggestions given so far in this thread, so additional reviews would be highly appreciated!

<snip />

Thanks!
    Last edited by cpradio; Mar 11, 2014 at 05:24. Reason: Removed Solicitation

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I see now in latest firefox http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/669/8996186524.png - probably there is error with the login block.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasom View Post
    This is what I see now in latest firefox http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/669/8996186524.png - probably there is error with the login block.
    It's because your screen resolution is too low, I think, because the menu is collapsing down since there's not enough width. I should probably try to make the menu a little narrower to accommodate lower screen resolutions..

EDIT: I just removed the Google Chrome link in the menu (it was kind of pointless anyway, I guess). Does it look alright on your system now?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now it is ok, but made the design working well on devices starting at 800px resolution http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/669/3985869615.png (do not waste time on responsive design for to small screens on beginning, you can do it later - first launch a product)

My suggestion is: make search bar length more flexible like on youtube.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the overall idea, but I think the logo has to be changed, as it is was too cliparty and oldfashioned, something more colourful and modern would be good I think. How do you plan to market the site also, and drive traffic? I have to say that you are entering a pretty crowded niche here, and so I think you should have a clear strategy as to how you are going to promote your site.

The idea of being able to receive a notification when your watched item goes below a certain price is really really good, but as a customer I would be wondering about the accuracy and veracity of your site's information. Is there any way that you could re-assure customers that your data is current and up to date or whatever? Otherwise your site will just look spammy etc.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site has nice looks, design and layout overall a perfect site. However, I don't know if it's just me or everyone, your site loads extremely slow, and also someone already mentioned above, your site does not have a footer and sidebars. Add these for a better looking site. Other than that well-done for your effort keep it up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sarhad12 View Post
    Your site has nice looks, design and layout overall a perfect site. However, I don't know if it's just me or everyone, your site loads extremely slow, and also someone already mentioned above, your site does not have a footer and sidebars. Add these for a better looking site. Other than that well-done for your effort keep it up.
    Hopefully it's just you! The site loads pretty quickly for me, with the homepage being the slowest at about 1.5 seconds.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Nat3
    Your site looks a little plain but clear. But I see you don't have a footer which usally the most websites have. Your idea is very good because the most of the people wants to know where they can get the products for the lowest price and that's very usefull if you can comprare it on one page.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The website is clear and beautiful.
    I see "Popular Products", but not "Sale products" and "all products".
    Maybe you should make a navigation like this:

"Popular Products", "Sale Products ", "All products", "Most sold products", "New Products".

The website has no footer. Web shops that do not contain contact information such as address, email are not reliable.