SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb New Project - Should I stick with Classic ASP?

Hello Forum,

I just signed up literally 10 minutes ago and look forward to utilizing this site, thanks in advance for all the feedback!

I have a new project that is in the requirements gathering stage and am considering what scripting language to use. Although I do have a limited amount of experience with C++...from back in school at IU Bloomington, I must say that the only real-life coding experience I have is with classic ASP, specifically vbscript. I've been coding with this for about the last 10 years and am a little apprehensive about learning a new language, however, I'm looking into what the benefits of languages like PHP/Ruby Or even upgrading to .NET ...if it were to be .NET...would you recommend sticking with vb script or would I need to learn c#...to be honest I learned classic asp in an entry-level tech position with a large IT Consulting firm right out of college but left about 6 months later to create a proprietary app and I have been reselling it ever since. The app is basically a point-of-sale app geared to a particular retail industry and has a SQL Server 2005 db..but i'm not married to that db...I do however know that I want to incorporate a ton of AJAX & integration with third-party sites into the new app. with a big focus on the UI.

Please advise as to what the benefits/drawbacks are to sticking with classic asp..or moving onto some other language. Further any constructive feedback as I have had classic asp blinders on for what seems like forever and have been essentially out of the emerging tech. game since college and feel kind of lost going through the articles in such...thanks again

-Chicago Rich

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're happy with Classic ASP then you'd likely prefer to move to ASP.NET.

I wouldn't suggest Classic ASP for a new project. Whilst it is still available on most Windows servers, it's not a default install any more - it needs to be separately enabled. As time goes by I'd expect it to die away, so hosting options may disappear.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for such a timely response! I've considered ASP.NET and was honestly leaning toward it.

If I do go with ASP.NET, can I do everything with VBScript that can be done with C#? About the extent of what I understand about ASP.NET is that you can code in multiple scripting languages and that is much more efficient/modular than Classic ASP...but it does seem like everybody pretty much considers C# as the scripting language of choice?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VBScript isn't available in ASP.NET. You would will want to learn Visual Basic (VB.NET) which has a familiar syntax but is a much more capable and rigid language. With .NET you no longer scripting as you were in classic ASP and your programs will take on a more structured format. It's definitely an exciting departure from Classic ASP but not nearly as forgiving. Expect to see some nasty error pages as you come to terms with the new framework. When I left VBScript I moved onto C#.NET rather then VB.NET but that's just personal preference.

The advantage to leaving Classic ASP is that you will find a lot more information and support for achieving current website features and trends than you will with Classic ASP. I finally retired the last production Classic ASP site that I was supporting and it is a good feeling to know I no longer have to come up with one-off custom solutions to keep up with today's client expectations.

Good luck!
    Andrew Wasson | www.lunadesign.org
    Principal / Internet Development

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you and much appreciated Sir!

Actually, this is great news as I wasn't really considering using VB.NET, however, I failed to mention that I whizzed through Visual Basic back in college and I do remember the syntax being really simple and non-assembly like, hopefully it's similar to VB.NET. I'm guessing the the dev. environment is probably some MS program, like Visual Studio, to be honest, I've built some pretty quick yet very rich user-friendly UI's with Classic by using Front Page (...I know don't kill me too much on this..), I guess the days of not having to waste time on writing HTML are gone and the days of runtime errors are back.

Last thing Andrew, any reference materials/sites/etc. you recommend would by greatly appreciated. I'm going to really research this hardcore in the coming days and start soon and will keep you all posted.

What a great forum!!

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to go with ASP.net then you might also look into something called razor. Razor uses a syntax very similar to PHP and Classic ASP.

http://www.w3schools.com/aspnet/razor_intro.asp

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man, I love classic ASP, worked with it since back in 1998, but keep in mind that it is about to be completely out of support by Microsoft and will be really hard to get proper hosting for application build in VBScript.
    Make your move toward ASP.NET and C#.
    Great replacement and it will give you lot of fun time to make fun of Microsoft developers and policies.
    On that note I would not waste time on open source languages like PHP, Ruby (it good to know those anyway ) or any other staff lot of people think they crazy about.
    In reality 87% of the sites hacked on internet is build on those "free for all" platforms and that is not because there are more of them that site build by Microsoft platform developers. Just because it is free for all...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Rich View Post

If I do go with ASP.NET, can I do everything with VBScript that can be done with C#?
    Sure, C# will gives you much more capacity than Classic ASP could ever do. It will take some time for learning curve but once you master it - there is no limit.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Jan 31, 2014 at 11:04.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more small details : ASP.NET is a framework not a language, basically same as with Classic asp. VBScript is a language associated with classic ASP while classic ASP is a framework not a language.
    ASP.NET could be working with great many different languages including but not limited by PHP, C#, C++ etc.
    Normally C# come first to mind just because it was introduced by Microsoft as a "main" language for ASP.NET.
    One more plus for your decision I guess.