SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review for Updated Women's Apparel Site!

Hey everyone!

So I'm back from this summer. I initally had a review done for this site but changed the whole thing under recommendations from people here and around.

The originally forum is here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...for-a-start-up!

So this is a Wordpress Site and is my first shot at a commercial website. Please let me know what you see, don't see, would want to see

But let me know some new fresh reviews for it.

Thanks!

P.S. The "Store" is made on Shopify by modifying the code. So its on a completely different platform that I had to try to mimic. Some stuff like the slideshow doesn't work based on Shopify limitations:/

www.activechick.com

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Impressive!

Viewed using Firefox on my desktop computer.

I like the colors, layout, and navigation.

Only a few things that might be worth considering.

The "real life" images change a bit fast maybe, but maybe too slow for others? I guess as long as the prominent "individual" option is there it's no big deal.

The blog seems to have a narrow page atop the wider about 1/4 of the way down. By design or a CSS bug? Again, no big deal.

The "join" page has 2 email inputs. It took me a few seconds to figure out the difference. I guess most others could do the same, but a having clearer distinction might be a good idea.

Other than that, the site has some problems if javascript is off. Whether or not you mind losing potential visitors depends on your target audience and your ability to do "progressive enhancement"

The cart seems to work well. Only 2 points.
    You do have your site set-up to pass the legalities involved with credit card numbers I hope.
    There is no "return to site" navigation on the checkout page. I know you would prefer if people that got that far didn't bail, but just the same. Is this a limitation of using paypal?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Impressive!

Viewed using Firefox on my desktop computer.

I like the colors, layout, and navigation.

Only a few things that might be worth considering.

The "real life" images change a bit fast maybe, but maybe too slow for others? I guess as long as the prominent "individual" option is there it's no big deal.

The blog seems to have a narrow page atop the wider about 1/4 of the way down. By design or a CSS bug? Again, no big deal.

The "join" page has 2 email inputs. It took me a few seconds to figure out the difference. I guess most others could do the same, but a having clearer distinction might be a good idea.

Other than that, the site has some problems if javascript is off. Whether or not you mind losing potential visitors depends on your target audience and your ability to do "progressive enhancement"

The cart seems to work well. Only 2 points.
    You do have your site set-up to pass the legalities involved with credit card numbers I hope.
    There is no "return to site" navigation on the checkout page. I know you would prefer if people that got that far didn't bail, but just the same. Is this a limitation of using paypal?
    Thanks for the feedback!! I definitely agree with the images being too fast so I updated it to make it slower.

The CSS bug you're talking about was dues to the background. I wanted a bevel for the entire page but the background would have to be sized accordingly to the blog. Since the blog grows, I'm kind of out of luck with that feature. I figured I'd make it long enough as to not detract from the experience until you scroll down that far.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks pretty good -- overall I like the design of the site. I’m not a huge fan of the facebook link in the upper left hand corner, though.. It seems kind of out of place being in the header like that. I would instead put it in your navigation menu or at the bottom of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is your purpose with the site? I am assuming selling products?

the homepage does not give a clear indication of what your website is about. sure it is about active women, but what about it? You should make that clear. It should say "active wear for women" or something like that, and some pictures of bestsellers.

I would take that large text out of the header, and replace it with a more inviting graphic. Preferably of active women.
    the picture slider on the home page does not really add value. It just slows the page down. I would remove that entire home block with categories if your products, or whatever else you want to draw attention to and make people click on.

Overall design is decent and clean.
    Maarten

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It took me a little while to understand that this really was what the site is about. Perhaps a bit of text on the home page outlining the mission of the website. Furthermore you can add social media features to your website i.e. Send, Share, Subscribe. Also I have to say that your site has nice design and content and it is well organized, good job. I think that the idea and concept of your website is really good, very attractive.

GRAPHIC DESIGNER visualkreations's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks a little dated to me.

I would suggest adapting some flat design. remove the gradients and drop shadows, use solid colors.

Also, there is a huge horizontal bar that is there across site causing some weird issues.

Also, a lot of element are too close to the edges and at some point they overlap such as the facebook items on the right hand side.

Nice work overall.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks good but in my opinion the white background dates it, the blue and white does not draw me in and make me think of quality products, it cheapens it. Overall a great idea though.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

I am using chrome and the first this I am seeing is within your top title the sharing buttons seem improperly placed and actually are covering up some of your text. I would definitely look to move them down slightly or put them somewhere else on the page. My one question would be about the products. From first glance it just looks like you put the logo on a bunch of products and there isn't much in terms of original design. Is the hope to expand into that in the future? The only reason I ask is that for most retail sites that I have worked with, people buy clothing with logos if they are extremely tied to that particular brand/logo like a sports team. But if the logo is just the name of the clothing company, I think you will have much better results with more original designs.

Also the navigation bar changes color from gray to blue when navigating around some pages... was this done on purpose?

I think you can do something with the design that is a lot more visual and really highlights the products. I agree with the comment from above in that it seems slightly dated. I think going to a pinterest type layout will really enhance what you are going for.

Erik

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    I'm viewing this on google chrome.
    First of all, the Logo looks great and really reflects the 'outdoor vibe' I think your after. One small point on the homepage. The headline 'Nature inspired goods for active women' I found a little confusing and gives the impression that the stock your selling is made from the products of mother nature. What I think you might mean is 'Goods for active women inspired by nature,' as this seems to be the common thread that runs through the site. Another small point would be that I would simplify the message and reduce the amount of text on the homepage. I appreciate that you need to get your 'outdoor' message across, but if it were me, I'd use one simple message to replace all that green text and put the word 'Shop' above each of your shop links I also agree with the previous thread that the facebook link needs moving.
    The product page I looked at was hiker chick' and looks great. Simple layout, not cluttered with text and great photos. One small point, there's a spelling mistake in the first paragraph. Never a good thing on any site, as it leaves a bad impression. Hope that helps. Great idea and some great products.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like the homepage is a little slow to load (in Chrome, it took 5.42 seconds). I would try to speed that up somehow, perhaps by using fewer or lower res images.

Images are scattered all over the About page, which looks really messy. They are also kind of small, which makes it difficult to see the people or objects in them.

It's unfortunate that the myshopify portion of the website has a different template (the menu in particular), as that breaks the consistency of the site a little.

I don't really like the fundamental look of the website -- it just looks kind of outdated. I would consider finding a wordpress template and using that for the site. <snip/>
    Last edited by Mittineague; Mar 6, 2014 at 17:19. Reason: unsolicited

SitePoint Enthusiast Soapmarine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations with your first Wordpress site!

1. Your Facebook share button overlap the text (Play in orange). You should correct this.
    2. I'm not convinced with the shadows around the boxes, it gives your site oldish look.
    3. You should revise the typography. You have all different types, in your logo, in your title, in your different menus, in your product description. In should be two, maximum three styles.
    4. Your menus are different in different pages, typography is different and colors two: blue or grey?

Best regards,
    Alfiya

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using Firefox in Ubuntu, and the header area is all misaligned I am afraid. - http://imgur.com/3SnAmKa

I think you have a good url, but I would put the store inventory on the home page rather than having to click into a shop page within in the site.

Do you find Shopify expensive? Are you storing all the items in your own home or in a storage unit, or are you re-selling from a wholesaler or other merchant?

Your mention on the site that nature and conservation are important, however your clothes are standard made, and not organic or sustainable or anything, I get the feeling that your USP is ill definied or diluted in someways, perhaps focus on getting your core values and message more coherent, and then reflect that in the design and on-site information.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple site. But its not that much impressive. Try to place the full banner. Place the images and relative text in the banner. Use some animation effects. Now you are using fade effect its also looks nice. And i felt your background is not suit to your site. Try to place some realtime images in background and place it as constant. It will give great look to your site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don’t get me wrong but its looks okay for 1997 but not for today’s market. There are lots of free themes in WordPress Repository; I think you should check those out. You won’t regret it.
    And there is great amount of unused space on the footer, you should utilize that or get rid of that white space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    website is not opening, please check that is your web hosting server is up or not.