Actually, my favorite way of writing comes from sales training:

1. Tell them what you are going to tell them (introduction)
2. Tell them (body)
3. Tell them what you told them (summary)

Quote Originally Posted by ed shaw View Post
Righto, Shyflower. Thanks. Just a little preventive worry on my part.
The stock answer to adnetit's question is to "go to the library and join a writers' group."
I wanted to make an impact and send a message quickly. I have been surprised when after taking time to format a post, (I use forums a lot,) to
receive replies, "How did you do that?" I say, Geez, look at that little toolbar, up there
Honestly, I understand and sympathize with young people starting out. The schools have appear to have decided not to push students too hard.
I honestly think the best and the brightest gravitate to the internet, many of whom ask, "How does this thing actually work?" Quite a few receive
their education that way. Sooner or later, they launch into the professional world, where writing and presentation have become what they
are taking to market. Lucky for them, intelligent young people tend to catch on fast. This is not to say old guys like me can't learn a thing or
two from them; we can, and do, if our eyes are open.
The first part of the post -- hypothesis, evidence, and conclusion -- is right out of post graduate training. That's a guideline. There are
all sorts of variations, such as "introduce pain and introduce the relief." All kinds of variations. The message is to have a structure in
mind, a plan of action, before starting to put the words down.
The second idea is a design principle: sometimes, less is better.
The third comes right out of advertising and psychology. Get the reader's attention, lead him thru the presentation, and
finish with a call to action -- call for details, more information, buy now! Get her phone number
We could go on like this. The best song in the world amounts to nothing until someone hears it.