SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Msde

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Msde

I am going to be using MS SQL to write a backend for a website. But I don't own the developer edition of SQL Server yet. I only have the MSDE. I know there are some limitations to the MSDE, like for example the size of the database is limited. Now, my question is, are these limitations inforced on the database itself, or just on the computer running the MSDE? Like my computer would be subject to these limitations, but let's say I build the database using MSDE but it's "installed" and ran on a server with a full MS SQL Server license, does this mean the database limitations no longer apply to the database because it's being ran on a licensed server?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly! It has some limitations like 2 GB storage and 2 GB RAM. You can create stored procedures, triggers, tables, etc. as you would have done on the SQL Server. I am not so sure whether it supports Views and I think it can support upto 5 concurrent connections. -- you can confirm it yourself, I have a clean OS installation and I have yet to install the goodies .

But there is no GUI. If you are working in VS.NET, it shouldn't be a problem.

You can scale to SQL Server anytime you wish. You will only experience less restrictions
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.