User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best way to combine lots of javascript files

Hi,

I have about 20 javascript files in my header which I know is way too many. Is there a way to easily combine them all into one? Could I just create a new javascript file and then copy and paste the contents of each file into the new one in the order they are loading on the page?

Thanks!

Gre aus'm Pott gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Hi there,

I use grunt for this.
    Here's an excellent tutorial on how to install it and use it to concatenate JS files.

Of course, you could do this manually if you use a lot of libraries that aren't likely to change.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ebsolutions View Post
    Hi,

I have about 20 javascript files in my header which I know is way too many. Is there a way to easily combine them all into one? Could I just create a new javascript file and then copy and paste the contents of each file into the new one in the order they are loading on the page?

Thanks!
    I just put them all in one big file at the bottom of my page. Simple

SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PicnicTutorials View Post
    I just put them all in one big file at the bottom of my page. Simple
    Yes, not in the <head>: Put Scripts at Bottom (and more "Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site" over there).

• Maybe (1) there are some exceptions, but 99% of the js-files are functioning when put at the bottom; you've to test that before collapsing them into 1 big file. And keep a backup of the separate files: in case of an update of one of them, to make a new big one.
    • Maybe (2) some of the js-files come from a content delivery network (CDN), which can be faster downloading than if you put them in the big file on your own server. Again some trials and comparing the test-pages will give the best way, I think.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Francky View Post
    Yes, not in the <head>: Put Scripts at Bottom (and more "Best Practices for Speeding Up Your Web Site" over there).

• Maybe (1) there are some exceptions, but 99% of the js-files are functioning when put at the bottom; you've to test that before collapsing them into 1 big file. And keep a backup of the separate files: in case of an update of one of them, to make a new big one.
    • Maybe (2) some of the js-files come from a content delivery network (CDN), which can be faster downloading than if you put them in the big file on your own server. Again some trials and comparing the test-pages will give the best way, I think.
    With my site in my sig I put most of the head section in a include and the same with the bottom. Extremely easy to manage. Because yes sometimes you have a js file that needs to go up top. In which case adding it is so simple.