SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Hello! Newbie w/a short story here.

Hello, my name is Amy and I want to become a web developer sometime in the future. Well, reasonably soon!

I was raised in the city, but because of a lot of crap hitting the wall at once (like losing my job twice), I find myself in the hills of North Carolina. My family is from here, and while I'm grateful to have a roof over my head, It's...depressing. Not a lot of options at the time.

I was attending a community college before I moved, working towards a degree in web development. That was two years ago. Now I'm doing self study, to fill the hours and keep my brain from turning to mush. And to get a job and move away from here.

I've known HTML and basic CSS for a while now, and I'm starting to learn Javascript, because the JS class I took in school was more of a "How to Use JQuery" class and I was doing things without knowing why or how it worked. Combined with a couple of other programming and graphics courses I took in school, this makes me a rank beginner, really, really rank, plus I have to start up where I left off.

I hope I can learn and connect with the people here, maybe find a mentor of some sort to keep me on the right track. I'm signed up to take a couple of courses at a CC a few towns over, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can on my own, in case school doesn't work out and to start building my portfolio.

I hope you all can help me out! Please don't laugh at my newbie questions. I'm sure to have a few doozies. I'll search as hard as I can first, I swear!

If you made it to the end of this, thanks for taking the time to read.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hi anrnc, welcome to the forums,

Everyone here was a "rank beginner" at some point. And no matter how "expert" someone may seem, if they're honest, they'll admit they're still learning. It's not easy keeping up with something there's so much to and is always changing.

As Staff I have to say "Please read the FAQ so you won't get into trouble" and if you have any questions about any of it don't hesitate to ask.

As far as a mentor, not to worry. Those that know more about a particular topic are glad to try and help those that know less about it.

As long as you put in some effort to do what you can and ask for help when you get stuck you'll do fine.

Take a look around, there is a lot here, take part in discussions when you feel like it and don't be afraid to start a new thread when you need to.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I've had some negative experiences with teachers in the past, so I'm a little shy when it comes to asking questions.

I hope to be able to give as much as I get. Some day!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you need to "get used to things" here before getting into more technical discussions. I recommend the General Discussions forum as a more relaxed place to start.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by anrnc View Post
    Thank you. I've had some negative experiences with teachers in the past, so I'm a little shy when it comes to asking questions.

I hope to be able to give as much as I get. Some day!
    I'm sure that they're glad that they didn't have me in the class then

There's no such a thing like a stupid questions... now, when it comes to answers... well, let's say that I do hear some stupid answers from time to time

When you ask a question, simply try to be as specific as possible.

Questions like "What's the internet" or "How can I be rich" are simply to broad to be answered (and yes, we do have these questions from time to time)

But if you ask something like "Does -mozilla-transformation work in Chrome 7?" then you'll find that yes, we can answer that