User Tag List

Thread: Hello

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Hello

I recently become a web designer and i have lots of questions.
    Marco Alex

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi and welcome to the forums

And congratulations for your career of choice!

What kind of questions do you have? Maybe if you tell us about your interests then we may be able to tell you which forums will be best for you
    Last edited by molona; Dec 31, 2013 at 07:30. Reason: misspelling... as usual XD

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forums

And congratulations for your career of choice!

What kidn of questions do you have? Maybe if you tell us about your interests then we may be able to tell you which forums will be best for you

Hi,
    I read somewere that this is a good forum to discuss web design issues so i signed up.
    I took a six month course of web design cause im 36 and i dont want to work in wearhouses for the rest of my life,i finished the course in june, along i finesh also highschool in June,,so im good to go.lol
    I then took July and August for the holydays and in september i bought dreamweaver cs6 and fireworks cs6 to start doing something.
    Wen i sent my resumé to webdesign jobs offers they all sayd that i need to have a portofolio so that they can appreciate my work,so i started to make a website html5 template,i finished it yesterday,yeah i had to learn how to work whith the dreamweaver, learn how tom use jquery,etc,then i sent it to www.Themeforest.com yesterday and they rejected it,they sent me an email saying the work is unestetic and has tecnical issues,but i dont worry cause now i know more about my potential,the time it takes for a begginer like me to start a project and finish it,the aspect of the hole procedure,how many hours i have to work on it each day,dont forget to indent and comment the code,make it easy to understand for some client wo knows nothing about html,divide the day in 2,the mornings to study and read webdesign books, the afternoon to work until 8 o´clock,the new trends that they dont teach us in school such as flat design and responsive websites, minimalisn, monochromatic schemes,the fact that its very hard to obtain good fotos to make website templates to sell, i investigated about drupal wordpress and other cms and learned that although they are free one allways has to pay for the hosting,ssl connections ,etc,i read a 800 pages book about css and learned how to overrwrite css styles,everytime i try to read a javascript book i only find that if i dont read first a c++ or java book first from the begining to the end i will never understand javascript,I read a application php book and made my first forum, i learned about SEO and opening an account at google webmaster tools,i opened an account at www.freelancer.com and i never get the jobs cause the clients want to first see my portofolio,i learned a lot these past 4 months.Now im going to put aside my themeforst template and start all over again, it was a 90 pages multipurpose monochromatic template,now i know not to invest so mutch time in something i dont realy know if its going to work and be accepted, ill start doing 4 or 5 pages website templates acording to the styles that these templates shops are seling, the fluid responsive design, flat, minimal, metro, allways start from the mobile version first and not the desktop like i did before,now i also know i can make about 1,5 pages per day so ill be doing a new one every week,im not interested in bootstaps and foundations cause i dont have time to find a css class in a 5000 lines css page besides i have dreamweaver,i will try to meet some local fotographers and try commissioning work from local photographers, either paying for the rights to them, or agreeing a royalty rate (per download),i wil never use http://www.cupcakeipsum.com/ to make templates again, allways start by doing the mockup in a fireworks psd file first,im goint to read a css animations book rigtht now cause fireworks dropdown menus take too mutch time to load, mobile devices dont support flash and javascript and jquery never works 100%.
    I think i sayd it all, mostly,lol, so what do you advice and recomend for begginer like me?
    Best regards.
    Happy new year!

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will then suggest that you start browsing the "Getting started with Web Design" forum and particularly, this thread because I think that you may get some answers there

What I said to this member is applicable to you. I will answer to some of your comments here though

I took a six month course of web design cause im 36
    Since you're changing your career, make sure that you do something you love. Dealing with clients can be hard. The good thing about this world is that age doesn't matter (at least, for the moment)

Wen i sent my resumé to webdesign jobs offers they all sayd that i need to have a portofolio so that they can appreciate my work,so i started to make a website html5 template,i finished it yesterday,yeah i had to learn how to work whith the dreamweaver, learn how tom use jquery,etc,then i sent it to www.Themeforest.com yesterday and they rejected it,they sent me an email saying the work is unestetic and has tecnical issues,but i dont worry cause now i know more about my potential,the time it takes for a begginer like me to start a project and finish it,

Well done and very brave! If it was
    unaesthetic, then get inspiration from the best. Browse around, especially websites where concentrate on good design and look at how they did it, and the code. Even templateforest or similar could be source of inspiration.

It is also good that you converted a negative situation into something positive and learnt from it. You'll need many more experiences like this till you get it right but you're on the right track.

i try to read a javascript book i only find that if i dont read first a c++ or java book first from the begining to the end i will never understand javascript
    I don't agree with this.

I've never read C++ or Java book in my life. C++ is, and has been, one of my outstanding subjects (just because I like it). Java doesn't interest me.

Javascript has nothing to do with either of them and doesn't even look like them. It is so much easier to learn!

If anything, learn Javascript first and then Java or C++, whatever that floats your boat

i opened an account at www.freelancer.com and i never get the jobs cause the clients want to first see my portofolio,i learned a lot these past 4 months.
    These type of sites are hard. Most people hire for the price and low rates they get. It is tough competition. But if you get a good reputation, then it is different.

Now im going to put aside my themeforst template and start all over again, it was a 90 pages multipurpose monochromatic template

A template is a template... You should only have a few types of different pages to show what it can do. These templates are supposed to be ready to connect with a CMS and get content dynamically from the database.

So you'll need the index, a search results page, a blog page, a product listing page and maybe a product page... depending on the site you want to build... but nothing else. 90 pages is a whole website, not a templage

,im not interested in bootstaps and foundations
    Don't worry. You'll be These frameworks save you time. SP uses both. But everything at the right time.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats to you for your new career .. all the best