SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is someone buying likes to our FB page? How does this insights look to you guys?

Hi guys,

Needs some opinions and thoughts please!

Around the 8th of Dec our new likes went from a steady average of 60-80 new day to about 2,500 new a day and have been an average 2,000 new every day until 3 days ago when it started to decrease a little bit but still beeing 1,500+. Thing is I can't find anything on-page or in statistics that are explaining this, our post likes, comments and shares have gone up a bit but nothing that would explain this abrupt flood of new likes.

We recently changed the way we did some of the posting and that was around the same time the likes started to increase. I can imagine a little bit of the new likes is due to that and this is also represented by the slightly increase in engagement. But still to me it seems like all these new likes comes from nowhere when looking at the statistics!

Here's some screens from our page insight, please take a look and let me know what you guys think about it?

fb-page-insight.png

All thoughts and inputs are more then welcome!

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well no one in this world is so kind that he will buy facebook likes for you..

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by martin13 View Post
    Well no one in this world is so kind that he will buy facebook likes for you..
    Maybe it's someone in this world is so mean? i.e. trying to get the account closed for violating the TOS?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    Maybe it's someone in this world is so mean? i.e. trying to get the account closed for violating the TOS?
    Yeah exactly, that's what I'm afraid of to...

...either way, this increase in relation to our business type and page is obvious not natural and we look like idiots!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I know one can unlike a page they liked, but I don't know of a way to remove other's likes from one's own page.

I wonder if it would be wise to report this to Facebook before they notice?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    I know one can unlike a page they liked, but I don't know of a way to remove other's likes from one's own page.

I wonder if it would be wise to report this to Facebook before they notice?
    Yeah, thats what I'm thinking off to, really hard to get a hold of though....seems like I would need to contact them through reporting an abuse from my own page!?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So no real thoughts on this?

Still coming in 1,500-2000 new likes a day!

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know where the "likes" are coming from? Can you track them down to any particular URL's?

One thought would be to temporarily remove/disable any "like" buttons on your site and see what happens...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My point of view is that buying likes for your page dos not helps because those fans do not get engaged in your page activities so best is to experimenting.
    I have an article for you to read this might help in growing your fan page. <snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Dec 31, 2013 at 09:40. Reason: Link removed

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alihaider View Post
    My point of view is that buying likes for your page dos not helps because those fans do not get engaged in your page activities so best is to experimenting.
    I have an article for you to read this might help in growing your fan page. <snip>
    I appreciate you're trying to help, but please read the thread carefully before replying. kungknas is not thinking about buying likes, or asking for ideas to gain more followers. The problem is that somebody else seems to have been buying likes without kungknas's knowledge.
    Don't be arrogant. Be kind to a koala that thinks it's a bear.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedreamer View Post
    Do you know where the "likes" are coming from? Can you track them down to any particular URL's?

One thought would be to temporarily remove/disable any "like" buttons on your site and see what happens...
    Nope, unfortunately nothing more then what the insight is telling me.

That wouldn't give much, as our daily website traffic actually is less then the daily new likes!(?) ...and traffic of website and social media integration is unchanged since before the likes started to increase.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    I appreciate you're trying to help, but please read the thread carefully before replying. kungknas is not thinking about buying likes, or asking for ideas to gain more followers. The problem is that somebody else seems to have been buying likes without kungknas's knowledge.
    lol, thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stills keep coming in at 1600-2200 new a day!

...new years eve we had 2064 new likes, that's above average, isn't that a bit weird? Shouldn't that be a dip there!?

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Try googling for your facebook page. Maybe the link to your page was posted somewhere on a popular site.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, already did though...

And highly unlikely as we rank #1 on pretty much all kw's in our niche and our website got about the same unique visitors as our fb page currently got new likes so I don't think there actually is a website with the right type of traffic/following to be able to generate 2000 likes a day to our fb through a link.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont think buying Facebook Likes is Good Idea for anyone.
    NCode Technologies,Inc. Is reputed Web Development Company
    offers affordable Joomla Web Development services.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mausin12991 View Post
    I dont think buying Facebook Likes is Good Idea for anyone.
    Who said it was!? ...and I don't think that either for many reasons.

But my suspicion is that someone us doing it TO US and maybe trying to get out page shut down or something similar! ...and I wanted thoughts and inputs on the insights!

SitePoint Enthusiast AndyGambles's Avatar
    Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there just you managing the Facebook page? Has anyone taken an ad campaign? The insights show a lot of mobile likes?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGambles View Post
    Is there just you managing the Facebook page? Has anyone taken an ad campaign? The insights show a lot of mobile likes?
    Nope, not the one managing it, we got a social media manager doing all the posting for us. Doing an ad campaign that generate this much new likes would cost A LOT, and it would also be visible in the insight as paid likes but there is none.

And yeah, I've noticed that the majority is from mobiles, but they say 40-50% of all fb traffic is mobile so I don't feel that is anything odd....or?

BUT...what is odd is the last 3 days shift in the like sources, check out the insight for the 8th and 9th:

fb-insight-8-9-sources.jpg

Since this started mobile has made up about 50% of the new likes everyday, and the last 2 days it has only been 2-3% ...and been replaced with page suggestions instead.

...that doesn't feel like a natural behaviour, but then again nothing do about this. And yesterday we "only" had 722 new likes, gonna be interesting to see what today stops at. Maybe the "package" someone has probably bought to our page is up!?

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    OK - this is probably a really silly question. (I don't use Facebook, so I don't know much about it.) Is it possible that someone/thing has been "liking" the wrong page? Is it possible that there is another page with a name very similar to yours - perhaps just a single letter difference - and they may currently be wondering why all the likes they paid for haven't shown up?
    Don't be arrogant. Be kind to a koala that thinks it's a bear.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    OK - this is probably a really silly question. (I don't use Facebook, so I don't know much about it.) Is it possible that someone/thing has been "liking" the wrong page? Is it possible that there is another page with a name very similar to yours - perhaps just a single letter difference - and they may currently be wondering why all the likes they paid for haven't shown up?
    Nope, no way. Our fb page name is structured like this "Business Name Business Category, City ,Country" ...think "Plumber Johns Plumber Service, Stockholm, Sweden"

SitePoint Enthusiast AndyGambles's Avatar
    Scarborough, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Page suggestions will grow exponentially as you get more likes as there is a larger network to make suggestions to. This happens when you hit a certain penetration.

Two explanations. These are real humans (awesome). Or they are all fake accounts and as fake accounts a friends with each other the same network is liking your page. If that makes sense.

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On your Admin page there is a section at the top that says, get more likes with a link to "see likes". You should be able to see all the different people who have liked your page here. Although it's in the thousands, there may be a pattern that will help you know if they are genuine or not.

As someone suggested, you should certainly contact FB support with the problem and let them know you are not at fault. They may have some other metric that will help them know if someone is blasting your page or not.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGambles View Post
    Page suggestions will grow exponentially as you get more likes as there is a larger network to make suggestions to. This happens when you hit a certain penetration.

Two explanations. These are real humans (awesome). Or they are all fake accounts and as fake accounts a friends with each other the same network is liking your page. If that makes sense.
    Yeah, that would make sense if this happened over time, but we went from 70-90 new likes a day to 2000 a day over the course of 3 days and then been "stuck" at around 2000 new a day without any further increase. Also the amount of total likes haven't increased the days when the page suggestions "took over" mobile likes,it's same amount of likes and the last 2 days only 50% of what its been the last few weeks.

And these doesn't seem like fake accounts, I've been reviewing some a bunch of the profiles and they seem to be real and active users, if these are fake accounts it is REALLY well done,. Although they can still be "fake likes" but from real poople....I'm thinking this: http://hackread.com/be-careful-what-...acebook-likes/

Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    On your Admin page there is a section at the top that says, get more likes with a link to "see likes". You should be able to see all the different people who have liked your page here. Although it's in the thousands, there may be a pattern that will help you know if they are genuine or not.

As someone suggested, you should certainly contact FB support with the problem and let them know you are not at fault. They may have some other metric that will help them know if someone is blasting your page or not.
    Yeah, as said, I've been reviewing these profiles and found somewhat of a pattern, and that is that all, or at least 80-90% of the users I've been able to check likes for they've recently liked the same 3-4 pages...and these pages just happens to be the page suggestions I get when liking something that is posted with our page, and I would assume it's the other way around to. Then there is something odd about the categories of the rest of their liked pages. Pretty much all is liking pages from the these type of categories: mma & muay thai, fitness & gym training, sport cars, weapons, street fights, tattoos and hot/sexy fitness chicks and boobs & ass pages.

This would maybe make sense if I was watching 20-30ish something old gym and mma training dudes profiles, but it's not its totally random people....and it feels really odd that they are liking these types of pages...and pretty much all of them has this pattern.

So, I'm thinking infected computers/mobiles, as mentioned in the article above, that hacks real users account and likes pages for them...and the software is set to like certain categories pages or "crawles" and likes the suggestions for the page that is really targeted to kind of hide it and also mimic a natural liking pattern.

Although, only speculations and guesses from my side!

And we've already contacted facebook regarding this, going to be interesting to hear their response!

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kungknas View Post
    So, I'm thinking infected computers/mobiles, as mentioned in the article above, that hacks real users account and likes pages for them...and the software is set to like certain categories pages or "crawles" and likes the suggestions for the page that is really targeted to kind of hide it and also mimic a natural liking pattern.
    I tend to agree with this. I wonder if Siri doesn't have an app for that.
    Be sure to let us know what Facebook does about it all.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown