SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a Printable Sign-up form?

Hi All,

I am trying to create a printable sign-up form that local businesses can fill-out with information about their business. I am going to take this info and input it to our site's database. We are also creating an online form where they have the ability to sign-up online as well.

What I am looking for is an easy way to create a printible form? I was trying to create one in Word, but it was kind of a pain. I was hoping someone knew of an easy way to create one... may some form-generating software or something?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

Doug

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just do it in HTML. Use tables or CSS to make black lines next to each question where the person is supposed to write in their text.

It doesn't look great printed but you can also just have them print a <FORM> - the text boxes should print out.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Doug,

I'm doing a similar thing, and like Dan suggested, I think doing it in html would be the route to go. If your whole page won't print out nicely on it's own - create a page with just the form you can link to so they can print it out on their own.

Steve
    Web Designer or Small Business Owner?
    Need More Leads and More Clients?
    Get Free Marketing Tips, Tricks and Ideas Here!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys,

That will work with most business owners that have Internet access, but I am sure there are still those out there that are behind the times. One thing we plan to do is go business-to-business and introduce ourselves and we wanted to give them the option of going online and filling out the form or to fill-out one and send it to us. So... I really wanted the printed form to look good (first impressions are very important).

I did a search on Google for "Form Generating Software" and found what I think will work... It is called Easy Business Forms from SmartDraw.com. They have a free 30-day trial... so I am going to give them a try.

Thanks for your help...

Doug

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougD
    Thanks Guys,

That will work with most business owners that have Internet access, but I am sure there are still those out there that are behind the times. One thing we plan to do is go business-to-business and introduce ourselves and we wanted to give them the option of going online and filling out the form or to fill-out one and send it to us. So... I really wanted the printed form to look good (first impressions are very important).

I did a search on Google for "Form Generating Software" and found what I think will work... It is called Easy Business Forms from SmartDraw.com. They have a free 30-day trial... so I am going to give them a try.

Thanks for your help...

Doug
    Hey Doug - looks like interesting software there. I was going to suggest MS Publisher if you had it, but looking at it now, SmartDraw looks like a better solution.

Good luck with everything!

Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougD

I am trying to create a printable sign-up form that local businesses can fill-out with information about their business. I am going to take this info and input it to our site's database. We are also creating an online form where they have the ability to sign-up online as well.
    Why do twice the work? An excellent example of what you would like to do is available on the BC Government's website. Go to the second page of this form.

You can print this out as well as enter directly into the online version. Either way, it'll still look good.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by serfer3
    Why do twice the work? An excellent example of what you would like to do is available on the BC Government's website. Go to the second page of this form.

You can print this out as well as enter directly into the online version. Either way, it'll still look good.
    So...are you suggesting that he buy and use the full version of Adobe Acrobat to create a form like that? It would be simple, but more expensive upfront if Doug doesn't have Acrobat.

Sweet looking form though and a nice use of Acrobat there.

Steve

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Acrobat is somewhat ubiquitous so it is likely that he either has it or knows someone who does. If not, it may also be possible to use PHP's support for PDF to generate the file.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know anyone who has it. That's $300 software there and most people would never need it. Plain old HTML is free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just use CSS to style a printable version of your on-line form. It's free and not that difficult.

Rik
    English tea - Italian coffee - Maltese wine - Belgian beer - French Cognac

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had success with the humble AppleWorks. I found a great tutorial in an old magazine for making forms in it - all it takes is a bit of imagination (and keep Snap To Grid turned on to make everything line up.)

(Yes, AppleWorks is available for PC as well as Macs.)

Amorya
    KickRSS - free web-based RSS aggregator.