User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Content Revew - New Tutorial Website

Hi Guys,

I want to get in to the world of graphic design tutorials and would appreciate some feedback on my first tutorial.

http://creativepsd.com/creating-vector-tree-photograph/

Thanks in advance,

Paul Hill

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should fill side column. Might be stick it's content on the screen. Or do something like this http://habrahabr.ru/post/206264/ (they show hot topics when you scrolled out of column content)
    Main column looks a bit squashed with all those borders.
    PSD font looks a bit off. Might be you should instead use font of the psd icon. And bottom part looks bad as if you cut it.
    Also i think you should make big banner with carousel of the lessons results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback but was actually looking for a review of the tutorial content...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh sorry. Didn't know that people here make this kind of content reviews. I mean sure they should know thing or two about Photoshop... Thanks god it's not a math tutorial :P

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice content - I like the headers as people can follow the steps without reading the content in between to get an overview and then delve into the detail a bit more if they decide it's for them or if they need more info. I think it's a really useful tutorial and one that will be popular for people to view.

If I was to be hyper critical I think that it's a bit too wordy - I'd try to cut down on the content as much as possible as keep it really snappy - more often than not people are trying to troubIeshoot and have a problem with something that they are working on when they read this kind or article so the faster that they can get the info the better. I also think that it's great that you have video and text with the tutorial.

Good job!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback Ryan and I totally get what you mean about it being wordy. It is hard to reign it in but I shall try

Thanks again!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With regards to the content:
    From what I can see within the first few minutes, it's pretty clear. I like that you added a video review aswell. About the topic of your content though: There are hundreds of tutorials that show the exact same thing, what do you offer as an extra?
    ARTR.nl - Dutch Digital Artcommunity.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nielz View Post
    With regards to the content:
    From what I can see within the first few minutes, it's pretty clear. I like that you added a video review aswell. About the topic of your content though: There are hundreds of tutorials that show the exact same thing, what do you offer as an extra?
    I know what you are getting at and you are right...we can always do more to stand out from the crowd but it is early days for this website - big things planned for 2014

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the theme design its very easy on the eyes.

Content, I like your navi, it gives me quick access to what I need to know right away.

on fish finder, maybe add a fish chart, a lot of times I know what they look like but have no idea what the name remotely is..

also maybe put most common searched or seen fish?

the articles are hard to find though and then when you go to an different section of the page, it links to your current website, I am assuming it will be changed and just testing the layout and content wise.

Also maybe put top X tips for fishing or preservating fish and also maybe seasonal guides to fish would be great. Like what fish you will see often during this time or their locations.

I;m a little confused on what your site is about though, is it to preserve marine life or which fish I can eat? I think the message is not clear.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your blog/site is good..Especially the content..I just want to give a suggestion..It will be much better if you add related posts in the end of single post..You don't need to add manually..You can use plugins which available in wordpress plugins directory..And the sidebar looks empty..You can add useful widget like popular posts..It will useful for your blog's visitor..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    My very first thoughts when I looked at this tutorial was 'where's the video,' and you need to scroll down to the bottom to find it. So I guess my first point would be to put the learning objective at the top. 'show how to create a vector image of a tree, from a source photograph using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator.' (I think it might also help the reader if you include the software version number. ) Then I'd put the video underneath the learning objective.
    I've never been a big fan of following written photoshop tutorials, as you have to so careful with your instructions and how they are interpreted. Another point would be that if it's an instruction tutorial then you need to instruct in clear, precise stages. For example stage 1 could be cut down to: a. Load your chosen image into photoshop by ................. If I didn't know how to do this I'd already be lost! So keep to the instructions and cut down on things like where you live and how many trees you wanted in your photo
    One more thing is that video tutorials are far easier to follow. However, some I've looked at in the Adobe forums make it difficult to follow when you're using a different version. The good ones make reference to previous versions. Hope that helps.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how I feel about your picture being at the top of the right sidebar. It's a good picture, but not everyone is going to want to see a big picture of your head on every page load. Maybe consider putting it at the bottom of the article in a kind of "about" section instead?

THis is kind of unrelated to your site design, but I noticed that your Facebook page URL is:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Creative-PSD/366274646849760

Which is kind of messy. If you go into the settings, you should be able to change it to something like:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/CreativePSD

Which is much easier for people to get to if they are typing it directly.

As far as content goes, here are a couple of suggestions.

* Make the images BIGGER! Not necessarily bigger on the page, but when you click on the images (as they have links around them) the browser opens up the images, but they are VERY small. I would highly recommend installing a lightbox for your website so that when images are clicked, they open up larger on the same page.

* Consider making the Software, Time taken, and Difficulty Level info at the top an unordered list. It might look a little better.

Although I just skimmed it, overall I think the tutorial is very well written. my biggest gripe is that the images are so small that I can't see what your menu settings, etc., are in Photoshop.
    Last edited by Mittineague; Mar 6, 2014 at 17:48.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I tested your site on a HTC One and in Chrome and Firefox on my desktop.

Things I liked:
    1: The Page title, I knew immediately what you do and what I can find on your site
    2: The Illustrator photos looked good and were easy to read
    3: You break down your tutorials into steps, which makes them easy to follow and you even describe how easy or difficult they are. This is ideal blog content.
    4: The portfolio section is full of engaging content
    5: Your website is focused on one thing: Illustrator. You should be able to attract traffic in your niche quickly. Consider joining relevant LinkedIn and Google+ groups and promoting your site.

Things you could improve
    1: I'm not sure about the blue link text. I think your site has room for another colour.
    2: The logo is missing something e.g. colour, a strapline etc, a description.
    3: The contact us page would benefit from a photo of you
    4: Consider posting content on Dribbble and linking to it on your site.
    5: You need an About Me or Start here page. You should also have a "Best Of" section so I can find your favourite content quickly.
    6: The ads are too prominent (but that's a personal preference)

I liked your site and bookmarked some tutorials to follow. I wonder if you'd consider using video as video lends itself quite well to your type of work. You could read advice about how to use video on Chris Brogan's website. You could also take a look at what Lynda.com and Treehouse do and then put your own spin on it. If your site works, consider bundling up your content as an eBook and giving it away.

I hope this helps.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As stated before, your content is fine, its easy to follow and describes how to accomplish the task well enough. As far as the site goes visually it looks good but you really should have an about me section in which your picture is located. Also it would be nice to have a tab right at the top that has maybe a drop down of recent posts.