User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can someone please help...

Greetings all,

My name is Jay Abreu, I need an experienced web programmer in PHP/MySQL to teach me how to create a complete CMS form scratch or from modules or even using Kevik Yank's book. Desired class timeframe should be approx. 1 day or a single 4-6 hour session.

I don't have alot of money and can only afford to pay $200.00.
    I am in the metro Atlanta area and will accomodate your schedule.
    I am willing to either meet with the programmer or have them meet me.
    I am a fast learner, already have some PHP/MySQL experience.

If you are in or near the Atlanta area please call me on my cell phone at: (678) 525-2360 or email me at: sincerestudent@yahoo.com.

Sincerely,
    Jay Abreu

(I have posted a similar inquiry before but did not recieve too many resopnses, if you do not feel comfortable calling, then can anyone please give me info on where to take PHP classes.)

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jay,

Understand that a single 4-6 hour session is not nearly enough to learn PHP. You'll be lucky to get a start in that time. My recommendation would be to check your local community college and see if they offer PHP classes. Chances are, they don't, so you may want to look into a basic programming class. It doesn't have to be in PHP and anything indepth, but getting into a class where you being to learn how to code would be a good start.

If you have the will, programming is easy enough to learn on your own. Tearing apart other peoples scripts can be a huge help. Set your aims a little lower at the start. Maybe get a script and make some modifications that you want. Once you get a bit of understanding for PHP, then make your move.

Begin coding your CMS. Just dive right in. You probably won't have enough knowledge to complete it at this point, but you'll pick it up as you go. Use tutorials to help you figure out how to do stuff you need to do. And always remember that this forum exists for question asking

Either way, good luck with your entrance into the programming world!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy, Thanks alot for the advice, I will definitely have to agree that it is not nearly enough time to learn PHP...

I forgot to mention that I already know HTML,CSS,Javascript, and some PHP, I even designed a basic site in php from scratch using just includes: www.cambeira.com and have loaded IIS on my PC, installed the postnuke CMS.

I am a php beginner but do not have time to learn on my own, I know it is alot to ask for but somehow I am confident I can grasp it in 1 day with an expert teaching me.

I also purchased Kevins Yanks revised book and currently have a general understaning of php/mysql, I guess I could say, what I really need is someone to fill in the gaps.
    Last edited by sincerestudent; Jul 13, 2003 at 12:14.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. Though you may know several other web technologies, PHP is much different than the three you listed. I came in knowing Perl, and it still took me about a week to pick up the syntactic differences. Most others experience the same sort of turn over time.

I do know what ya mean by gaps filled in (though after almost a year of trying to learn my first language outside HTML it just hit me). Good luck on your hunt for help. I'm not in Atlanta by any means, but definitely feel free to use the forums and I'll provide what help I can!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Definantly use the forums, they are a fantastic help and it's how I learned. As Andy said, just dive in and write a script, when you find something you want to do but can't or keep getting a parse error but you don't know why, hit the forums with the problem code and an error message and usually we can strighten you out without a problem.

If you want to learn to write a CSM specifically, I strongly recommend not pulling apart a major CMS like PHP-Nuke or Post-Nuke as they would be a little advanced and probably use OOP which isn't an easy thing to grasp. Start out slow and move big, PHP has a fantastic learning curve so it should take you long