SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this possible

Hello, my company currently uses Access to enter data recieved from email and postal cards.

The data comes in standard format, tick boxs, name and addres fields. Would it be possible, for email, to filter and harvest the data and have it automatically entered into mysql database?

Reports and mailing list would also need to be extracted from data, i would like to do this via browser interface using php.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you want to feed appropriate chunks of data from an incoming email message into a mysql database?

I suppose you are using an Access database on a Windows desktop and PHP/MySQL on a Linux web server? If this is the case, then you can use procmail (or a similar mail filter; there are several options available on Linux) to intercept an incoming email message and execute a script to perform the task.
    TinyPlanet.org
    Discuss and Debate World Events, Politics and Religion.
    Interact and Share your Views with People around the Globe.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Umair.ms
    Do you want to feed appropriate chunks of data from an incoming email message into a mysql database?

I suppose you are using an Access database on a Windows desktop and PHP/MySQL on a Linux web server? If this is the case, then you can use procmail (or a similar mail filter; there are several options available on Linux) to intercept an incoming email message and execute a script to perform the task.

yep this is what i want to do.

Yep company is using Access but i want to setup local Intranet with mail server, this will be used to manage databases (converted from access) and process email from enquiry email form on web site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which operating system are you using for your local Intranet mail server?

Linux - use procmail with some program written in a language such as awk, perl, php or bash.

Windows - you can write an event sink in VBScript for the CDONTS layer. I'll explain you how, if you are on Windows
    TinyPlanet.org

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, will be linux based, script programming not my strong point so was looking off the shelf solution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An easy way is to use procmail with a script. As you do not feel easy with programming yourself, you can ask or hire anyone else to do the job.

I am not aware of any commercially or freely available solution that can perform such a specific task of parsing an incoming email and inserting data into a MySQL database.
    TinyPlanet.org