SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Today I was feeling a little bold and increased the resolution from 1152x864 to 1280x960. I can assure you one thing: I don't browse SPF fullscreen anymore (actually I didn't do this when I went to 1024x768 either, but that doesn't matter)

Now my question: What makes you use a high resolution? Is it just because it looks so nice on your 21" monitor (NEVER use 640x480 in combination with such a monitor ) or is it something else?

Personally I'm using high resolutions since it increases the available workspace dramatically, which is very convenient when you've more than 13 programs running
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All other resolutions on my laptop don't look that great.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish my monitor went above 1024x768..
    I always set it to as high as my PC will go but right now thats not very high

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1024x768 has never appealed to me when it comes to browsing the internet but it is handy when you have several apps running.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

********* Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    800x600 is too big and 1280x1024 is too small, so I go for 1024x768 (Windows doesn't give me the choice of 1152x864, which I think would be ideal).

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by pedro_gb
    (Windows doesn't give me the choice of 1152x864, which I think would be ideal).
    Actually its your video card that is incapable of that resolution. My computer at work running Windows 98SE using a 17 inch (15.6" viewable) monitor is set to 1152 X 864 using a Matrox Video Card.
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I set my resolution to 1280x1024 today

Compared to the monitor of my brother (15" @800x600) it's so much better. You realize that he's jealous now
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always use 1600x1280. Now and then I maximize SP/slashdot on long threads, however. Why do I use such a high res? I like to have a lot of space on my screen to work with. And I couldn't let my 19" Sony Trinitron not live up to its best

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my high resolution because it gives me plenty of space to work with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just don't understand how you can all read that tiny text! 1024x780 makes me squint like crazy! I use 800x600, and probably always will.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use 1152x864, I useed to use 1024x768 on my 14" monitor, now I have a 17" monitor so the text is still readable. I'd love to be able to put it up to 1280x1024 - It will go to 1600x1280 but I can't read it on anything above 1152x864.

The only reason I use a high resolution is so that I have more screen space for working with large images etc. before they go to be printed, they are 300dpi so they are huge on a monitor that displays at significantly less (72dpi - 96dpi).

I also have on average 25-30 programs open on screen at any one time so any space that I can get reall helps - I am thinking about getting another monitor just to put a web browser on and the toolbars from some of my apps so I have more 'real' work space.
    Karl Austin :: Profile :: KDA Web Services Ltd.
    Business Web Hosting :: Managed Dedicated Hosting
    Call 0800 542 9764 today and ask how we can help your business grow.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to use 1152*864 mode, but i got bored of it, as i'm used to run nearly all my applications on full-screen. Back to 1024.

I am using 2 screens since last monday, and i can assure you that it's just great. I got a 17" running at 1024*768, and a 15" running at 800*600, so it even is proportionnal !

It has changed the way i'm working. Well, just at work.
    I hope to buy a cheap 15" monitor for home.
    If you think about using another monitor, go for it.
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    I just don't understand how you can all read that tiny text! 1024x780 makes me squint like crazy! I use 800x600, and probably always will.
    I used to use 800x600, and now use 1024x768 and I can't stand anything smaller! Chris, do you usually have a lot of programs running? I routinely have at least two instant messengers open, my e-mail client, a browser window, FTP, and maybe something else. My higher resolution gives me more space to work with and I will rarely run into a horizontal (yuck!) scroll bar. Not to mention the fact that banner ads don't take up my whole screen like they do on those horrid small resolutions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ready to drool all of you?

Primary Monitor
    1280x1024 on a 19" KDS Avitron monitor running a VooDoo 3 3500 AGP video card.

Secondary Monitor
    1024x768 on a 17" Sony MultiSync Trinitron monitor running a generic 4meg Vcard

Let me just tell you that I would rather cut off my arms than go back to a single monitor. I routinely have up to 10 apps open at any one time. When designing for the web, it is indispensable, as I can have TextPad open on one screen and a IE 5 on the other

For those of you who have multiple monitors, I totally recommend UltraMon. It helps you manage your dual (or more) monitors with ease.
    Adobe Certified Coldfusion MX 7 Developer
    Adobe Certified Advanced Coldfusion MX Developer
    My Blog (new) | My Family | My Freelance | My Recipes

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Primary Monitor:
    1600x1280 19" Sony Trinitron off a GeForce 2 64MB DDR

Secondary Monitor:
    I think I'll throw in my old 15" and an old Voodoo3 just to try things out...who knows, I might get hooked like creole

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can the quality of the monitor make a difference? Mine is set to 800x600, but I would prefer to work at 1024, especailly for graphics work. The problem is when I set my 17" monitor to the higher resolution, the small text and images become hard to read; I feel like I need glasses or something. But I've looked at the higher res on other 17's before and had no problems.

I'm not sure on the name brand, but I know 30%-50% less then what everyone else was paying for the same size.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by TWTCommish
    Chris: What size is your moniter? I used to have a smaller one (14-15") and I used 800x600 because that was the resolution where text was clearest, and the best size. As soon as I upgraded to a 17" moniter, I realized that 800x600 made the text way too huge (grainy, u could see the pixels) so I'm now at 1024x768.

Basically, most people keep their resolution to whatever suits their moniter size. So if 1024x768 makes text tiny, then obviously 800x600 is better for your size.. but just try and get a 17 or 19 inch moniter and surf at 800x600

chuck
    Jeremy Watts :: Co-Founder
    Modevia Web Services :: Experience the Difference.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creole since i only have you to check with, can you tell me if you managed to make a window's horizontal size be wider than the 2 added sizes of your monitors ?
    I mean, i couldn't resize any window to be larger than 1824 pixel. It increased when i turned on 1024 + 1280, so i'm thinking it's some Windows limitation.
    Is that happening to you too ? Not that these extra-large windows are very useful though...
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chuck
    Basically, most people keep their resolution to whatever suits their moniter size. So if 1024x768 makes text tiny, then obviously 800x600 is better for your size.. but just try and get a 17 or 19 inch moniter and surf at 800x600

chuck
    Do you think my earlier post is right? I can't read clearly on my 17" monitor, but I can on everyone else's.
    Westmich
    Smart Web Solutions for Smart Clients
    http://www.mindscapecreative.com

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by westmich
    Can the quality of the monitor make a difference? Mine is set to 800x600, but I would prefer to work at 1024, especailly for graphics work. The problem is when I set my 17" monitor to the higher resolution, the small text and images become hard to read; I feel like I need glasses or something. But I've looked at the higher res on other 17's before and had no problems.

I'm not sure on the name brand, but I know 30%-50% less then what everyone else was paying for the same size.
    Do things seem out of focus? If so, then it's probably your monitor. If things just seem to small, you can increase the font size in your browser, and change Display Properties to suit your needs, and still keep that high res.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Chuck

I somewhat disagree with that.

I know an older friend who uses 640x480 on a 21" monitor . And then I know someone who somehow managed to read at 1280x1024 on a 15" monitor. That person was me