User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social Video Platform Requiring Feedback

Hi Everyone,

My company created a social video platform that focuses on driving connectivity to the video site with collaboration and a plethora of social tools.

We are beginning the process of looking at areas of the site for a revamp in design to create ad space and enhanced featuring of content.

We would like feedback on the following aspects:

1) Design

2) Features

3) Usability

4) Ease of Registraiton

Basically take a quick look around and give us your feedback about the site's design, how useable it is, if its easy to navigate and so on.

The website: http://citizen.tv

Thank you all!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I'll just say that, upon landing on the site, I don't really get what it's for or what I should do. That's a problem for me with a lot of sites, though I gather there's an expectation that people will just know what a site is for these days—presumably via social contacts etc. But for me, it doesn't work—and it seems like a big risk to me. I like a clear statement about what the site is for, and perhaps a call to action, or at least a link to more information, so that I can easily find out more if I need to. Otherwise I don't bother and just leave.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I have visited your site and this is pretty good social video platform to knock their. Also I have found the design and concept good.

Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by citizentv View Post
    My company created a social video platform that focuses on driving connectivity to the video site with collaboration and a plethora of social tools.

We are beginning the process of looking at areas of the site for a revamp in design to create ad space and enhanced featuring of content.

We would like feedback on the following aspects:

1) Design

2) Features

3) Usability

4) Ease of Registraiton

Basically take a quick look around and give us your feedback about the site's design, how useable it is, if its easy to navigate and so on.

The website: http://citizen.tv
    My thoughts, in no particular order:

First impression – good. It looks professional, everything seems to work, although the 'Feedback' box that covers up bits of the content is irritating.

Second impression – puzzled. I'm not entirely sure what its purpose is. It looks like it's trying to build a community feel around sharing videos, and offering the prospect of prizes for contributors as an incentive. But unless I've got video clips that I want to share, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be getting out of it. If I want to look at videos of cats falling off skateboards, isn't that what YouTube is for?

Going further – the categories feature doesn't work for me. I mean that in a figurative sense rather than a technical sense. Yes, I can click on a category and stuff happens, but I'm not keen on the way that the page is presented, it seems like there's one video for me to look at and then loads of other things that are all scrappy round the edges. I guess it's just not the kind of site that I use – I don't have a lot of time for that kind of aimless surfing and browsing, when I'm using a website it's with a purpose, rather than just filling time.

Mobile perspective – seems to work absolutely fine on Windows Phone, and nice to see that the videos work, which even YouTube doesn't manage consistently.

Technical perspective – some code doesn't have good semantics. I don't know why "The first global talent show" banner is an image rather than text, given that Trebuchet is a common font so you could have it as text. And the headings for 'Competition', 'Browse' and so on should be marked up as headings.

Registration seems pretty straightforward, good to find that my chosen username and password didn't fall foul of any restrictions. Slightly irritating that I have to pick up a confirmation code before I can do anything.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On load animation is too choppy. It caused by repainting of the WHOLE PAGE each animation frame. But it can be easily fixed with persistent 1px z-axis offset(CSS 3D transform). It pushes whole element on its own layer and moves it around instead of repaint) and you should use translate to move thing on the page.

Right bottom corner of the http://ecs3.ctvcdn.com/image-9982/me...ain_banner.png dissolves.

Might Be you should make panels for pictures and text to group it up and give better background to the text. But i'm not sure.

In general i like it. And it can be easily turned into standard adaptive layout.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed on the competition page when you scroll down and the new content auto-loads it just seems as if you have hidden this content away - especially considering it is live with a countdown. An auto loader works best when you hide content that is essentially out-of-date. So my advice would be to create either a sub-category from the nav menu or do a sub categories side bar menu on the left-hand side of the page.

Other than that it is a well throughout and designed site - looks fresh and recently updated content.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

I visited your site and the your domain citizen.tv is great (though I expected more a governmental service) and the design looks professional.

However it's not clear what the site is about and if you don't convince the users within seconds, you'll loose him. Instead of "Welcome to citizen.tv" I suggest to make up a very clear slogan as does dropbox.com on it's website. Also the banner (http://ecs1.ctvcdn.com/image-10016/m...ain_banner.png) you can remove then. Less is more!

Some additional comments:
    - The user can browse on the start page competitions, videos, channels, projects and citizens. I think it's too much and you should focus only on one key call-to-action.
    - You need to simplify your call-to-action. Also after the second visit, it's not clear yet what the site is about. Who is your target audience? What is the benefit of being a member?
    - COLLABORATIVE PROJECTS: Beside the images are shown arrows but they can't be used; better don't show them in this case at all because they are useless.
    - Regarding SEO: For the sub-pages like http://www.citizen.tv/project/school...ool-pfztjNH3jK I suggest to use a shorter general text in the page title rather than "About | citizen.tv - Discover, Share, Collaborate" which will not drive traffic to your site but will devaluate the other, unique keywords in your title.

Philip