SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost every time I shutdown my computer, I get that old program not responding error prompt and it is for the "RTFIXMON" program, or whatever that is. Does anyone have any idea about this? I did a search for it, but couldn't find it. I have tried going control+alternate+delete and seeing if it shows up, but it isn't there in the system tray. This has been occuring for a while now, just never thought of asking about it. My computer seems to be working fine, could this be a virus? Thanks...

Fluffy Kitten Programmer~ Elledan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try reinstalling Windows (I assume that you're using Win98) without formatting. If the error returns immediately with the first shutdown after reinstalling Windows, you've a virus (possible a Trojan) and only special software and/or formatting the HD will help you.
    www.nyanko.ws - My web-, software- and game development company.
    www.mayaposch.com - My personal site and blog.

Your Lord and Master, Foamy gold trophy Hierophant's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It isn't a known virus according to the SARC (Symantec Anti-virus Research Center) but you never know.

You can find out more information about it by viewing your running processes.

You can view these by using System Information in Windows 98/ME or Task Manager in NT.

Third party tools like Norton Utilities can give you information about this as well. Quite handy if your still running Windows 95.

My guess it is a corrupted DLL for another system tool your running and a reinstall of that utility will probably fix the problem. That is one you find the appropriate utility.

p.s. This is not a Windows file so reinstalling Windows most likely will not help the problem.

[Edited by W. Luke on 11-17-2000 at 06:19 PM]
    Wayne Luke
    ------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I run Norton Antivirus and update and run scheduled virus scans weekly, not to mention all of my e-mail gets scanned before I even receive it. And I also run ZoneAlarm. I sure hope it isn't a trojan horse or virus, but if it was, it would have done something by now...

You can find out more information about it by viewing your running processes.
    How do I view this?

You can view these by using System Information in Windows 98/ME or Task Manager in NT.
    How do I view this?

Third party tools like Norton Utilities can give you information about this as well. Quite handy if your still running Windows 95.
    I'm running Windows 98 and Norton Antivirus 2000, how do I get this information?

My guess it is a corrupted DLL for another system tool your running and a reinstall of that utility will probably fix the problem. That is one you find the appropriate utility.
    I don't get any error files or missing file notices on startup like I do on my laptop, so it probably isn't a corrupted .dll file. If it is a file or program that needs to be reinstalled, how do I know which one?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i had an error with MON at the ending and it appeared it was Virtual Machine ******** out on me.

[Edited by jamesglewisf on 11-18-2000 at 12:39 AM]
    Ace Nova
    Football Man
    InternetSprite.Com - Coming Soon!