User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Convert MySQL LAST_INSERT_ID() to MSSQL 2005

Hi,

I'm converting an ASP site that is using MySQL to run on MSSQL 2005.

On some pages, after a new record has been created, I need the ID (primary key) of the newly created record to pass as a querystring to the next page (for various reasons). Currently I use the MySQL LAST_INSERT_ID() to grab the last entered "ID" immediately after the INSERT code. The Last_Insert_ID() code looks like this:

Code:
    Set rs1 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    	rs1.Open "SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID()", dbconn
    		tmpmemId = rs1(0)
    	rs1.Close
    and assigns the last auto-increment ID to the variable "tmpmemId".

Is there an equivilant function in MSSQL 2005 that will achieve the same result?

Hope someone can help.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, this is quite straightforward. In fact, there are several functions that will do you want, but they have subtle differences in their behaviour. They are @@IDENTITY, SCOPE_IDENTITY() and IDENT_CURRENT(). Check the Help for each of them, or take a look at this article, which gives a good overview:
    Find the IDENTITY value of the last inserted row

Mike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This is my amended code that seems to work ok:

Code:
    Set rs1 = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    	rs1.Open "SELECT IDENT_CURRENT('my_table') AS tmpmemId", MM_connDB_STRING
    		tmpmemId = rs1("tmpmemId")
    	rs1.Close
    Many thanks.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But have you tested it in a situation where multiple users are inserting rows into the same table at the same time? The point about IDENT_CURRENT() (according to the article I refered to) is that it simply returns the highest current value of the ID, regardless of session and scope. You risk getting the wrong value if a second user inserts a row after the first user inserts a row but before the first user calls the function. (But perhaps that's so unlikely that it's not worth worrying about?)

Mike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But perhaps that's so unlikely that it's not worth worrying about?
    In my experience the words "it's so unlikely" are usually followed by "oh darn, it just happened" :-)
    Even in a single-user environment something as simple as refreshing a webpage an cause unexpected concurrency that makes this very likely.

But perhaps the best argument is that the question was to find the MS-SQL equivalent of replace last_insert_id, which is @@identity. Identity_current is the equivalent of SELECT MAX(id)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny42 View Post
    In my experience the words "it's so unlikely" are usually followed by "oh darn, it just happened" :-)
    True (which is why I put a question mark after it).

Quote Originally Posted by vinny42 View Post
    But perhaps the best argument is that the question was to find the MS-SQL equivalent of replace last_insert_id, which is @@identity. Identity_current is the equivalent of SELECT MAX(id)
    But even @@IDENTITY has a problem, in that it is scoped to the connection, but not to the scope (if you see what I mean). So, multiple INSERTs within the same connection would be OK, but not if one of them comes from a trigger, which is in a different scope (even though it's the same table).

It seems to me that SCOPE_IDENTITY() is the best one to use, given that it doesn't have any of the above problems.

Mike

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that SCOPE_IDENTITY() is the best one to use, given that it doesn't have any of the above problems.
    Indeed it does.