SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

View Poll Results: What keeps you from taking part in photo-challenges?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • I find the topics uninteresting.

    2 18.18%
  • I find the topics too difficult.

    3 27.27%
  • I find the topics too vague.

    0 0%
  • I could never think of a good idea.

    2 18.18%
  • I have ideas but no time!

    4 36.36%
  • I don't like the prizes.

    0 0%
  • I never seem to know about the photo-challenge in time to enter.

    3 27.27%
  • I'm a little bashful to show people my photographs.

    1 9.09%
  • I'm concerned about copyright infringement.

    0 0%
  • I think there are just too many challenges to keep up with.

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Results 1 to 18 of 18

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Photo Challenge Poll

    Hi everyone!

    So for a chunk of this year, we've been doing these monthly photo challenges.

    Thanks for taking part, and we enjoyed seeing all of your amazing creations. We'd noticed though, that the responses have been drying up in our latest challenges. Our "Electronic Junk" challenge, for example, only got two replies, and both by Sitepoint staff.

    Please help us to understand how we can make future challenges more appealing to you. We loved the tonnes of entries we'd gotten a few years aback in our "Grand Holiday Challenge" and we'd love to bring back some of that magic, give out some cool prizes and books, and heck just see all of your interesting takes on the topics!

    Respond to the poll or please leave a comment. Be honest. Let us know what you want, what you like and what you don't really like!

    Thanks guys!
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  2. #2
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,888
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For me, it's about ideas, time and opportunity. When I've already got a photo that meets the description, I'll submit it. But otherwise, it's often a struggle to think of something suitably imaginative and then go and capture it. Plus of course all the times when I forget and procrastinate and then find it's too late. :-(

  3. #3
    From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    guido2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    9,496
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    For me it's a bit what Stevie says, but also because lately the subjects have become a bit too specific. I have eletronics in my life, but honestly any junk gets thrown away, so I had nothing to take a picture of. And the last was "dogs" ? We don't have a dog. So if the topic had been "pets" I could've participated.

    I'm quite sure that a "holiday season" challenge will give you more results

  4. #4
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guido2004 View Post
    ... because lately the subjects have become a bit too specific. I have eletronics in my life, but honestly any junk gets thrown away, so I had nothing to take a picture of. And the last was "dogs" ? We don't have a dog. So if the topic had been "pets" I could've participated.
    I fully agree there. I was actually away for the last one, but I wouldn't have been able to participate, as it was just too restrictive. I'd have struggled with "dogs", too. Personally, I love the photo challenge thread - both the challenge of participating, and the interest in seeing other members' photos. There have been plenty of suggestions for themes made in the Photo Challenge Ideas thread, so there still seems to be a good level of support around for it.

  5. #5
    SitePoint Mentor silver trophy
    Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    2,397
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have problems finding subjects as well but sometimes you have to do a bit of lateral thinking like Shaun(OfTheDead) did with the dogs thread.

    Early morning was a tough one for me as I hate getting up early and still would have had a problem finding a subject.

    Perhaps there should be a note about the subject being flexible?
    e.g. Dogs - real dogs - toy dogs - dog rose ( which I intended to do but could not find a nice one ).

    One of the other popular threads on a photo forum I belong to is letters; anything associated with a letter.
    e.g. A = Aardvark, apple, autum, ant. This can cover anything from macro to landscape.
    It also means people can prepare as they know when the letters are coming up unless you randomise the order.

  6. #6
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie D View Post
    For me, it's about ideas, time and opportunity. When I've already got a photo that meets the description, I'll submit it. But otherwise, it's often a struggle to think of something suitably imaginative and then go and capture it. Plus of course all the times when I forget and procrastinate and then find it's too late. :-(
    Interesting. So why is it sometimes a struggle to think of something? Honestly, the reason why the topics had become more specific was because we thought the vagueness from before made it too hard.

    What if in the announcement thread, we added some suggestions in the future? Would that take all the challenge away, or would it help, you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by guido2004 View Post
    For me it's a bit what Stevie says, but also because lately the subjects have become a bit too specific. I have eletronics in my life, but honestly any junk gets thrown away, so I had nothing to take a picture of. And the last was "dogs" ? We don't have a dog. So if the topic had been "pets" I could've participated.

    I'm quite sure that a "holiday season" challenge will give you more results
    aha! Fair enough.

    So it needs to be more open-ended, you think. So not vague, but not too specific.

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    I fully agree there. I was actually away for the last one, but I wouldn't have been able to participate, as it was just too restrictive. I'd have struggled with "dogs", too. Personally, I love the photo challenge thread - both the challenge of participating, and the interest in seeing other members' photos. There have been plenty of suggestions for themes made in the Photo Challenge Ideas thread, so there still seems to be a good level of support around for it.
    I know, it seems so hopeful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubble View Post
    I have problems finding subjects as well but sometimes you have to do a bit of lateral thinking like Shaun(OfTheDead) did with the dogs thread.

    Early morning was a tough one for me as I hate getting up early and still would have had a problem finding a subject.

    Perhaps there should be a note about the subject being flexible?
    e.g. Dogs - real dogs - toy dogs - dog rose ( which I intended to do but could not find a nice one ).

    One of the other popular threads on a photo forum I belong to is letters; anything associated with a letter.
    e.g. A = Aardvark, apple, autum, ant. This can cover anything from macro to landscape.
    It also means people can prepare as they know when the letters are coming up unless you randomise the order.
    Interesting idea.

    One of the ideas we were kicking around (being a Mentor, you may have seen) was changing up the format of the photo challenges throughout the year. So we do a "What is it?" one month, a regular challenge the next month, maybe try this alphabet idea the following month, and so on. Perhaps, not to be exactly the same, it could be a colour; Anything a certain colour.



    Keep the responses and the votes coming, everyone!
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  7. #7
    Mouse catcher silver trophy Stevie D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    5,888
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Interesting. So why is it sometimes a struggle to think of something? Honestly, the reason why the topics had become more specific was because we thought the vagueness from before made it too hard.
    It's too hard to think of something interesting and worthwhile, and to find the opportunity to take a photo of it (bearing in mind that the camera on my phone is rubbish but I don't carry my decent camera most of the time). Because I'm a bit of a perfectionist, if I was specifically taking a photo for the competition (rather than just submitting one that I happened to have lying around) I would want it to be a really good one, in terms of imagination or composition. And my imagination and talents don't always live up to my aspirations!

  8. #8
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say time, topic, and the prize. A person will always come up with a good idea and will always make time if the photo contest offers a prize that will interest him/her.

  9. #9
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'll agree to some of the comments that the subjects are too specific. Perhaps we could use a 1 worded theme. For example: Textures or Shapes. Let's just include some caption to make it more closer to the theme.

  10. #10
    It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    ralph.m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, AU
    Posts
    24,173
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Thanks Francky. You have lots of energy!

  11. #11
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it seems the two biggest issues are our topics and our participants' lack of Time.

    That lack of Time challenge is one I know personally, and I know it's a tricky one!

    Any suggestions anyone, of how we could make it easier or more accommodating for you?
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  12. #12
    Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    TechnoBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Argyll, Scotland
    Posts
    6,168
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Any suggestions anyone, of how we could make it easier or more accommodating for you?
    Perhaps at the end of the intro post for each month's challenge, give a heads-up on what the following month's challenge will be. That would give folk an extra month for thinking/finding subject matter, but would also keep up interest and momentum in the forum by having a challenge every month, rather than every two months. It would also mean that if somebody doesn't like or feels they can't contribute to the current challenge, they have a second subject to think about.

    The only drawback I can see is in ensuring next months photos stay out of this month's thread.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •