SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Request Review my Site's New Name and Messaging

Our website was originally listed as **********. I have posted a request for feedback a month ago and we received some very valuable and significant comments and suggestions from Sitepoint that it isn't very clear so as we iterate our design, we secure a domain changed to GemShelf. This platform will have the ability to :

1) can store everything in one place (PDFs, Word files, text, photos, audio etc.),(2) search through everything, anytime, anywhere, on any device because it has offline capability (3) can import and export and share information easily, upload photos, smart capture and we're also planning on incorporating OCR technology. GemShelf will also have Advanced Symantec Technology and Natural Language Processing.

So what do say about the landing page and the new name?

www.gemshelf.com
    Last edited by Mittineague; Dec 16, 2013 at 19:40. Reason: per OP request

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Hm, personally I'm not really clear on what the service is for, despite the explanations. I would need a clearer and more systematic argument put to me for why I need something like this. Perhaps if people know what Evernote does then they'll be clearer on this ... but I'd then question why they would steer away from something that's well know to this.

The features you've listed also sound like what I can already do with DropBox. Perhaps set up a video or something that gives an example of where this service would be really useful and how it would be used in practice.

I'd also like to see some kind of assurance that people can reliably entrust all their data with you. What guarantees can you give that you'll be around in a year? Who is behind this? Why use this instead of Evernote?

I always need things like this to be crystal clear before I try anything. Maybe others are more forgiving, but some food for thought, anyhow.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    Hm, personally I'm not really clear on what the service is for, despite the explanations. I would need a clearer and more systematic argument put to me for why I need something like this. Perhaps if people know what Evernote does then they'll be clearer on this ... but I'd then question why they would steer away from something that's well know to this.

The features you've listed also sound like what I can already do with DropBox. Perhaps set up a video or something that gives an example of where this service would be really useful and how it would be used in practice.

I'd also like to see some kind of assurance that people can reliably entrust all their data with you. What guarantees can you give that you'll be around in a year? Who is behind this? Why use this instead of Evernote?

I always need things like this to be crystal clear before I try anything. Maybe others are more forgiving, but some food for thought, anyhow.
    Hi Ralph,

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the processing of finishing the video and I hope that would help in explaining what the product actually is.
    One more question though : Does the actual problem that we're addressing on the landing page make sense to you?

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have much to say about the content as writing content isn't my strong suit. It makes sense to me and I’m pretty sure I understand what you’re offering which, if I have it right, it’s similar to Google Drive except rather than selecting people to share your content with you can create groups… is that right?

I would like to offer my opinion on the design. I think the name is much better than what you were using before; however, the icon of the phoenix coming out of the book, while cool looking, doesn’t really go with the actual name “GemShelf”. I suggest getting rid of the icon all together and just using the text logo… or at least creating an icon of a Gem to go with the text.

The web site looks good and has a lot of potential; it’s clean, professional looking, and definitely follows current trends. However, I would strongly suggest making it a Responsive website as that’s the direction everything is moving in with all the people now using tablets and smart phones. It’s best to do it now while you are building a new site rather than later on when it may be near impossible without having to completely redesign your site.

I would also think about adding a little more padding in-between your different content sections. As it is now they are stacked to close together and each section will stand out more with space between them.

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing your finished site!

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Nice observations, Buck. Welcome to the forums.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ralph, happy to be here!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your website looks clean and neat.
    The content is visible and Readable.
    All the characters and graphics used cool.

You can make your website name and Logo image look bigger, because it is looking small right now. The name is looking clearly but impact is less and Logo is not completely visible.

The grey part at middle can be more playful or interactive. That would be more interesting to read. Right now it looks boring.
    gemshelf.png