Thread: Blog Website

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Blog Website

Hello Everyone,

I would like some feedback on my website design. The website is a blogging website / showcase website. I do a lot of electronic (making gadgets, etc), DIY (custom cases, etc.) and programming (mobile applications, games, etc.) projects and would like to blog about these project and showcase them.

I have created a website design (still contains lorem ipsum images and texts) and would like your feedback on the following:
    - Overall Design / Layout
    - Improvements
    - Speed (I think it loads kind of slow the first time)

The site contains 2 different page layouts:
    - http://www.staticcube.com (the blogging part)
    - www.staticcube.com/projects (showcase part, only "First Project" is completely filled)

With kind regards,

StaticCube

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Looks OK to me. The one thing I notice straight away is that the gray text is too light against the white background. I found it was straining my eyes quite a bit.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hii StaticCube,

Your website looks very average.
    You can do many things that will help to improve your blog.
    - As ralph.m suggested, change color of text
    - Change the background to good quality image or color.
    - The blog preview is bit old fashion, you can do something better than just normal box to make it look better.
    - I think it will be better, if you could create a new page for blog and home page something more interesting and attractive like images of your work and designs.

One a positive side,
    -Your logo looks nice and simple.
    - Load time is also pretty good

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides the text color issue mentioned above, I have two suggestions.

1) You need something at the very top that tells people in two seconds what your site is about. That is all the longer you have to grab their attention so they don't bounce. It is often called a tagline, but it could be a couple of sentences. I shortened version of your description above may work.
    I do a lot of electronic gadgets, DIY custom cases, and game and app programming projects. This blog will showcase them.
    2) Responsive or mobile version. You should have one. Because of your area of skills, assume that MOST of your readers will visit you on a mobile device. Since you are just getting started, pick a responsive template and make it a pleasant and easy reading experience for everybody.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please take no offence, but this website clearly has not been created by a designed.
    Because of that it might look unproffesional to many users. I have that feeling too.
    Sometimes it's an impression you intend to make - but do you?

The layout is nice, so there wouldn't be a lot of work to make this website look slick.
    The typography alone could change it a lot - some nice font + good spacing (only a skilled designer know how to do).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope - would completely crash at the box office!

Looks like a craiglist brother to me. The logo is good though!

Suggesions:

1. Blue color is a no no - make it a little dark
    2. Font style is not attractive
    3. Get more images / crisp ones
    4. Forget about sharing options at the moment - the site ain't that attractive that people would be punching on their share options
    5. The only attractive thing are the 6 social buttons at the top - why? because they're made by professionals
    6. Look at some templates and then work on them
    Bullet proof corporate website design services,
    tailored to your specific needs - Said by sticker baby

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi static,

I'm not fan of the font, it looks a bit "default", i also dont think you need the blue bar at the top.

other than that, i like the look of your website

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is a good site. Just continue SEO.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi StaticCube,

Firstly, I should point out that I'm not expert in web design (yet!) so these comments are purely based on my initial impressions from a user's perspective.

As others have said, I really don't think the colours on the homepage work. The text is an extremely light colour that doesn't stand out at all and the sky blue doesn't mix well with the grey (although I'm not sure that particular shade of blue would mix well with anything).

The format of the site navigation-wise is fine, although as your site is intended as a showcase site I personally think it would be better to have your projects on the homepage in order to make an immediate impact on your visitors, and then have your blog as a secondary page. This is just personal preference though and not a criticism.

Your logo looks really good. You could always enhance it further by add a tag line underneath it to give people an instant idea of what your site is about.

Loading times were absolutely fine for me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't if what you put in there is your product or just demos. I personaly had a hard time reading that font. The color of the font makes my eys tired

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the color combination is not good blue with grey. The header isn't nice enough.
    No Project Posting...No Bidding. A Freelance site with different touch .... www.zumzzy.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your blogging site is ok. You can proceed with your blog.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's been said a couple times already, but you should definitely try to jazz it up a bit. I'm not sure if you're going to keep Times New Roman font, but I definitely would change that to something else. I like the position of the social media in the top right against the gray background, and the logo is simple and clean. It just needs a kick, though. It's not incredibly visually appealing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Static,

Instead of putting the adsense unit inside a white div I would have made all the white divs match the adsense unit size (a larger unit)

Apart from that, I like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that you can salvage from this website is the graphic logo. (The cube).

You fail to convey what your website is about in 3 seconds (The 3 seconds rule: Here and Here)

Any theme from themeforst would look better. Even the free ones. Just add the logo and focus on SEO.

Good luck!
    Just my 2 cents.
    -Miro

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    need optimize on your meta info for perfom your seo rating

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally like the site. I would make your base color a darker black rather than gray. It will make it easier to read the posts in the blog section.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a very attractive site, as previously mentioned, the white background and grey text are bad combination (hard to read). You could use contrast analyzer to pick your text/background color. The grey background is also not very good, you could pick some pattern background, image, or select a better color (even white would be better). As for wepbage speed, you could use GTmetrix analyzer, it will rank your webpage according to a lot of metrics and suggest where you could make improvements. I think there should also be more images. Logo and social icons are quite good.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes grey look is not so much impressive and other all things are fine.

SitePoint Enthusiast leafspirit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other than the stuff that's been mentioned, I would:

• Add a drop shadow to your sidebar
    • Add a section to your homepage where you can showcase a post with an image. Or even showcase your showcase. It'll make it stand out more, because your page is so muted right now

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    minimalistic view. Not specifically in my type.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Yapsody. The logo looks nice, but the grey text doesn't really stand out. Also, to me, it seemed a bit overwhelming with several small posts, which made me not want to read, as it was hard to understand what the site was about. Maybe consider a "teaser" type layout, with a summary at the top.