User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmm, as I see it:
    • Your requirements where almost fundamental impossible by the memory-issue (see #18).
    • Nevertheless John_Betong has tried to develop a php solution for you with all your requirements (and has put his time in it), but unfortunately it didn't work.
    • As it seemed OK when John_Betong tested it himself, but you and ralph.m denied that, I think he had the right to get some feedback about in what circumstances it didn't work.
    • In the meantime you changed your requirements (!), so a solution in that way isn't needed anymore.

I should say: "annoying classic case of *hi-jacking* "? - No, there was no other goal than trying to help you, and with the result everybody can be happy now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Francky View Post
    Mmm, as I see it:
    • Your requirements where almost fundamental impossible by the memory-issue (see #18).
    • Nevertheless John_Betong has tried to develop a php solution for you with all your requirements (and has put his time in it), but unfortunately it didn't work.
    • As it seemed OK when John_Betong tested it himself, but you and ralph.m denied that, I think he had the right to get some feedback about in what circumstances it didn't work.
    • In the meantime you changed your requirements (!), so a solution in that way isn't needed anymore.

I should say: "annoying classic case of *hi-jacking* "? - No, there was no other goal than trying to help you, and with the result everybody can be happy now.
    This thread was about finding HTML symbols to represent up and down arrows.

It is NOT about developing a "Sorting Script" which I already did on my own over 10 days ago.

And it not about testing John's code. (If John needs help getting his code working, then start another thread...)

This is at least the 2nd time one of my threads has been "hi-jacked" in the past week, and it is getting on my nerves.

Show some courtesy...

Sincerely,

Debbie

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDee View Post

It is NOT about developing a "Sorting Script" which I already did on my own over 10 days ago.
    Except that you introduced that factor in post #15, when you explained your full requirements, and stated
    4.) Clicking on a Column Heading should sort by that Column and change the Sort Order, however, simply refreshing the page should NOT change the Sort Order

Why? Image if every time you refreshed your Gmail or Yahoo Mail - to check for new messages - the Sort Order changed?!

This last requirement makes things trickier!!

I'm scratching my head now trying to come up with a solution that meets all four requirements above...
    In view of that comment, John and others attempted to help you find a suitable solution. That you subsequently changed your requirements and were able to figure out your own solution is great, but it doesn't devalue the effort that other members have put in to assisting you.

Your thread has not been hi-jacked. You have found the answer to your initial question and, as sometimes happens, the thread has diversified into other areas relevant to the discussion as a whole.

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    Your thread has not been hi-jacked. You have found the answer to your initial question and, as sometimes happens, the thread has diversified into other areas relevant to the discussion as a whole.
    I just want to elaborate on this point too, as I believe there to be another reason for why this discussion diversified. In short, your response to one of John's solutions was:
    Sorry, that sample doesn't work when I try it.
    That response unfortunately was very vague and didn't really provide any insight as to why it failed to work, so Francky took it on himself to provide a thorough test matching your requirements to his example to identify where it didn't match up. I hardly see any of that as "hi-jacking" the discussion. In simply filled a spot that wasn't clearly emphasized.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I'm lost here. various unicode symbols were provided straight away. The thread topic then went to "toggle" questions, then "no javascript solutions"
    The unicode glyphs were what you were looking for and this thread is therefore [SOLVED] ??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoBear View Post
    Except that you introduced that factor in post #15, when you explained your full requirements, and stated In view of that comment, John and others attempted to help you find a suitable solution. That you subsequently changed your requirements and were able to figure out your own solution is great, but it doesn't devalue the effort that other members have put in to assisting you.

Sometimes it makes sense to drop things and start a new conversation...

I appreciate John going out of his way to create a script from scratch to try and help.

Thanks!

But when John is asking for others to point out why his script isn't working, and then Francky comes in with his 109 lines of testing of *John's script*, it is a bit much!! <snip />

And if you really want to see hijacking, go check out this thread... Returning an Array from a Function

Tangents are fine as long as they are from the Original Poster, or they relate to the Original Post.

In my opinion, it is NOT okay for someone to come in and ask for help on their code when it isn't their thread. Likewise, it isn't okay to start their own debate when it doesn't pertain to the OP.

Please tell me how any of Hall Of Famer's rant below relates to my other thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hall of Famer View Post
    using PHP native arrays can promote bad programming habits of building multi-dimensional associative arrays that really should've been presented as object composition. One example I've identified is from the book 'Zend Framework 2.0 by Example',
    That has absolutely *nothing* to do with what I was originally asking help with!!

Whatever...

Debbie
    Last edited by cpradio; Nov 20, 2013 at 04:25. Reason: Unnecessary

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    I'm lost here. various unicode symbols were provided straight away. The thread topic then went to "toggle" questions, then "no javascript solutions"
    Because John got over anxious and decided to build me a house when all I was asking for was help with picking out door-knobs...

All of this started in John's Post #7

Again, I didn't mind John trying to help initially.

But what I did find to be a bit too much is when he was asking Ralph and I to provide more detail why *his* script wasn't working?!

And then Francky jumped in and things went off the deep end...

Quote Originally Posted by Mittineague View Post
    The unicode glyphs were what you were looking for and this thread is therefore [SOLVED] ??
    Bingo!

Ralph came to my rescue - once again - and everything was solved by the end of Post #6...

** Nothing to see here folks. Move along... **

Sincerely,

Debbie

Hosting Team Leader silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it makes sense to drop things and start a new conversation...

I appreciate John going out of his way to create a script from scratch to try and help.

Thanks!

But when John is asking for others to point out why his script isn't working, and then Francky comes in with his 109 lines of testing of *John's script*, it is a bit much!! (Can we say OCD?)

And if you really want to see hijacking, go check out this thread... Returning an Array from a Function

Tangents are fine as long as they are from the Original Poster, or they relate to the Original Post.

In my opinion, it is NOT okay for someone to come in and ask for help on their code when it isn't their thread. Likewise, it isn't okay to start their own debate when it doesn't pertain to the OP.

Please tell me how any of Hall Of Famer's rant below relates to my other thread...

That has absolutely *nothing* to do with what I was originally asking help with!!

Whatever...

Debbie
    Debbie,

In this thread's example, John's code was purely trying to meet what you were trying to achieve, so his contributions and figuring out why it didn't work for you, was definitely relevant.

In the latter thread, Hall of Famer was continuing the discussion on whether mutli-dimensional arrays were good or bad practice. You got your solution, which is great, but your question generated thoughts at a higher level amongst others (which is going to happen in any thriving community). If you didn't gleam anything useful from the resulting discussion, I'm sorry, next time unsubscribe from the thread once your solution is deemed "found".

What I can say, is if you ever do go for version 3.0 and OOP, you will want to revisit that discussion. There is a lot of interesting information that each of those guys brings to this community and I highly ask you to really take a step back and ask "What is it that I can learn from them through their discussions that may benefit me in the near or distant future?"

I'm not trying to be harsh, but the nature of a forum will spawn different directions with or without assistance. That's just the nature of the beast. Yes, if it starts to drift off before a solution is given, or there isn't a clear path to a solution, that's troublesome and we staff will try to remedy those situations. However, neither of these threads presents that case (at least to me they don't).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpradio View Post
    Debbie,

In this thread's example, John's code was purely trying to meet what you were trying to achieve, so his contributions and figuring out why it didn't work for you, was definitely relevant.

In the latter thread, Hall of Famer was continuing the discussion on whether mutli-dimensional arrays were good or bad practice. You got your solution, which is great, but your question generated thoughts at a higher level amongst others (which is going to happen in any thriving community). If you didn't gleam anything useful from the resulting discussion, I'm sorry, next time unsubscribe from the thread once your solution is deemed "found".

What I can say, is if you ever do go for version 3.0 and OOP, you will want to revisit that discussion. There is a lot of interesting information that each of those guys brings to this community and I highly ask you to really take a step back and ask "What is it that I can learn from them through their discussions that may benefit me in the near or distant future?"
    Probably true, but hopefully you see my side too.

Quote Originally Posted by cpradio View Post
    I'm not trying to be harsh, but the nature of a forum will spawn different directions with or without assistance. That's just the nature of the beast. Yes, if it starts to drift off before a solution is given, or there isn't a clear path to a solution, that's troublesome and we staff will try to remedy those situations. However, neither of these threads presents that case (at least to me they don't).
    Normally I don't mind, but I just felt both of those threads went a little too far at the end...

Francky and Hall-of-Famer got way too obsessive whether anyone else sees it that way or not.

Sincerely,

Debbie

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Francky and Hall-of-Famer got way too obsessive whether anyone else sees it that way or not.
    While the forums are here to help answer members' questions, there's no rule against showing enthusiasm for a topic and taking it further. Indeed, it's to be encouraged. It makes the forums a truly stimulating and innovative place.

If you got the answer you needed early on, then great! Unsubscribe and move on if that's all you want. But nobody owns a thread, even if they started it, so let the conversation and exploration follow its natural course, and leave the discussion if you get bored.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, it is NOT okay for someone to come in and ask for help on their code when it isn't their thread.
    In my opinion (and I'm the boss) it's fine provided the OP has had an answer. In this case the rest of the conversation may go some way to helping others.

The debate can stop now because the thread is losing value.

If people want to keep discussing the code in question, go for it, otherwise please leave the thread.