SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Parallel Sites - One Conventional, One Mobile?

I've been designing websites for years, but I spend 95% of my time on research and writing, with little time to really keep up with the latest web design trends. I recently stopped to come up for a breath of air and check out the latest trends, and I'm WAY behind. I need to convert all my PHP database queries to PDO, then convert all my web pages to HTML5. Then I need to begin modifying them to work with mobile devices, and the research I've done so far blows me away. This might be more than I can handle.

With that in mind, I was thinking of sticking to conventional web pages (though I might still convert them to HTML5), and make a parallel website(s) featuring the same content designed for mobile devices. I could use some kind of device detection script to advise mobile device users that they can read the same article on a better (mobile) platform by clicking a link. That way I can learn how to develop for mobile sites without messing up my existing pages.

Though it's probably considered amateurish, it seems like a workable scheme. Does anyone have any comments regarding the pros and cons? Also, can you refer me to some good examples of sites that use such a scheme?

I would really like to hire a web designer to convert my sites to mobile, but I can't afford it right now.

Thanks.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chavista View Post
    I need to ... convert all my web pages to HTML5.
    Unless your site is in Flash or something, you'll find your site already is in HTML5, as it's not different from HTML ... except a simpler doctype. HTML5 provides some new elemenets, of course, but you don't have to use them, and they aren't supported in all browsers anyway.

I was thinking of sticking to conventional web pages ... and make a parallel website(s) featuring the same content designed for mobile devices. I could use some kind of device detection script ...
    Unless you have a giant and unwieldy site, having two sites, and using device detection, isn't a good option. Device detection is unreliable and you are forever chasing your tail to keep track of the myriad devices out there.

Instead, have a look at "responsive web design", a nice alternative that allows the layout to adapt appropriately for different screen sizes.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I'll check that out. Thanks.