SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Web Design Site Launched

Hi all,

I've been working on a site on and off over the last month and we just launched it 2 days ago.

I've had some help on this forum in the creation of it and want to say thanks to all who helped.

Anyway, here is the site - www.webmakers.ie - it's a new site for an evolving company and I'd love some feedback, any errors, mistakes in code, anything that can be improved etc.

Cheers,
    Al.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    It's a pleasant site to look at, and your message is very clear—much better than most sites, I feel. Well done. I'm very impressed.

The only tiny thing I didn't like—but it's a small thing—is the comment on the home page "We are a Navan-based web design and development agency."

It's likely that most people outside Ireland/UK won't understand what "Navan-based" means, so in case people from abroad stumble on your site, it helps to clarify where in the world you are so that they don't get confused. As I say, a minor point, but I get irritated when I come across sites whose location matters and I can't work out where they are based.

Perhaps try something like this:

"We are a web design and development agency based in Navan, Ireland."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that ralph, I had noticed you mentioned something like that before about location on another review of a site. It's a very valid point, I wasn't involved much in the content but I'll get on that and get it changed.

Thanks for the feedback.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The site overall serves it's purpose. It is nothing earth shattering or even going to make it in a design gallery but is acceptable. I don't really know what you could do to make it more appealing but it does work from visual standpoint just a little bland.

That said nearly every project and site in your companies portfolio seems to using the age old nested folder architecture. I would be very weary of hiring you for any development work because of that. Any experienced, modern professional developer/programmer knows that you should be using a single entry point/front-controller. Not repeating similar code over and over which is what it appears to look like. To me it looks like you guys have a good understanding of design/front-end development but not programming. Also, it is surprising that no popular content management systems are being used for the projects I looked at, including this site. Seems like for sites such as this and many in your portfolio something like Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Expression Engine, ModX, etc would fit nicely. It makes me weary that it looks like your using the LAMP stack yet don't have any experience with those systems regardless of whether or not you choose to use them based on performance. Though with such small sites like this and some in your portfolio performance with just about any cms would be nearly a none factor for the flexibility you gain/time saved for continous integration/enhancements and community support.

Also, having a graphic design background myself I must say that where the wm meet in the logo is a totally eye sore. It doesn't look like any care was taken to make sure the wm transition nicely into one another. The idea is ok but the handling of typography in regards to the w flowing in to m is awkward. Thew bug (wm) is also off balance due to the amount of negative space between where the w and m intersect. I would recommend tightening that up slightly for a more balanced icon.
    The only code I hate more than my own is everyone else's.

SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the "Navan-based" did catch my eye also. My first impression: Probably some kind of CMS, they should have made a link to the page where it is explained.

For the logo I think it's hard to get a good transition between the w and the m.
    Maybe you can use the symmetry of both letters for a more attractive design, for instance something like this:

Don't know if it's already an existing logo of a company!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of, The site looks great.. I'm impressed
    Just a few comments though:
    The highlight on 'We believe in delivering clear communication, inspiring design & best-practice development for all our clients' looks a little bit odd. Perhaps you want to consider changing some codes to make it transparent. You just have to play around with color so that it looks visible.
    SCREENSHOT.jpg

other than this, you've done a great job. What you do is very easy to understand and menus are simple and well placed.

Nathan

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Web Site Developement

Hello Sir,
    I see your website It is really Nice.
    Well done.

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Nov 11, 2013 at 06:25. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This site is really clear about it's point and easy to look at. I'm not a professional or anything, just learning web development.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work, the site is clean and professional... I'm a big fan of "white space" and you have it working great for you here. The site is also responsive which in my opinion is a definite plus.

However, I agree with some of what oddz mentioned. I wouldn't say it's boring or anything but there isn't much that really jumps out at the viewer. I understand this in a bit of a conflict with "Design Firms" websites because you want your client work to pop out not necessarily your own site. However it is beneficial to find the balance between showing your creativeness with your own site while not over powering your client work. If I were going to change anything, it would be that. I would try and find a way to make the site "Pop" a little more... maybe add a second bright color or additional graphics.

As for the logo, you can easily fix the transition between the W & M by hand illustrating the curve rather then just using text... or you could even use an upside-down W for the M. For example...

WM_logo.jpg

Overall I think it's a very nice site and I like all the details you provide with each portfolio piece. It shows you take good care when working on a project.

Good luck with it, hope it brings many new clients!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work!! You have done very neat and clean job. Website looks very professional. All the aspect are very clear.
    Animations you have added are really good on the icons in "What We Do" Area.

Some suggestions like you can do something more in the "We'd Love To Work With You" Area. It looks boring.
    we'd love to work with you.png

You can change background image at "What Our Customers Say" Area, As some words are not visible due to partial white image at background.
    what our customers say.jpg

All the other things are pretty good and very professional.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey...

That's great websites.. nice work man.

<snip>
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Nov 13, 2013 at 08:02. Reason: Please wait 90 days for a real signature

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the "What Our Customers Say" area also a {text-shadow: 1px 1px black;} could help a bit.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good but you could use a better theme with a beautiful looking navigation bar. Also try to fill up the footer section which looks empty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bearing in mind the comments from oddz (in the above post), from the perspective of the potential client the most important questions that need to be answered are:
    - Does this supplier sell what I need? (Is it advice (i.e. they don't know what they want)? Is it purely execution (i.e. they know what they want)?)
    - Is this supplier any good? What experience have they had? What do their past/existing clients think of them?
    - Is it compelling enough for me to make an enquiry? Or do I keep on looking for another supplier?

IMHO, I think you've ticked all the boxes. Nice clean, safe website that won't offend. Good testimonials. Nice sequencing - call to action at the end of the page.

I like the fact that you're using a .ie domain name. You're targeting local clients so I think it works well with the 'Navan-based....' intro.

Personally, I believe 'less is more'. I'd lose the 'core values' section and all the marketing jargon. Just tell them in plain english what you do. The page (http://www.webmakers.ie/web-design-s...ex.php#serv-01) - might provide examples of what each service might involve. An example would be nice, e.g. "For XYZ client, they had a stale FB page that wasn't updated regularly and did not engage with theor client base. Webmakers was commissioned to....what we did was....how it worked was..."

I've taken the same approach with my site. It's razor-thin on content (apart from the inventory of images for sale). I figured, customers don't really care for hyperbole. They just want to search-buy-download and then get on with their lives. It won't win any design awards but customers get in and out quickly.

Good luck with it, Alan!

Cheers,
    Jon
    Stockphoto.com
    Affordable royalty-free images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm impressed, it looks so clean and tight! I love the still menu and the cool hover features!

What I would recommend is a clear CTA. What are you aiming at with this website? Do you want people to contact you? Or do they have to buy a product?
    I think if you change the text in the header a bit, and link to the right page with an contact form you can improve your sales!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice looking site - a good mixture of information and it makes it easy to get the main points quickly and is easy to navigate.

One personal bugbear - as a potential customer I hate it when the first question that I'm asked is my budget. It makes me feel that the price will be dependent on my budget and not on the product being provided. This however, may say more about me than it does about the site

Design wise - you've got a winner and I imagine you will do well.

SitePoint Member autopaypalboost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a nice site with cool color and nice niche also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a big web devolper but as a common user of www Font of site is looks big it should be normal specially text in middle of the site.
    Overall its good and bit attractive and the best thing is its uniqueness.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It look like a social network site than a web design company website. any way, I like the new idea...the new design also looks good. just keep it up!

SitePoint Enthusiast gregdbowen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice layout - very clean. The Secret Project West Africa and the Mr. Windscreen links are not working for me in Safari. The second row of portfolio tiles seem to not fit as well with the design. The top row is a lot stronger for me. I can't help but wonder if the second tier stuff wouldn't be better on a sub-page. Nice design and overall presentation.

Greg Bowen | Founder / Lead Dev
    Fluidlab
    PUBLISHING TOOLS FOR WORDPRESS
    http://FluidlabPro.com @FluidlbPro

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gregdbowen View Post
    (...) The Secret Project West Africa and the Mr. Windscreen links are not working for me in Safari.(...)
    Nor in any other browser :
    • Secret Project West Africa: "1-2014".
    • Mr. Windscreen: "coming soon".

Maybe it's an idea to give the .coming-soon class a cursor:default;, to avoid that visitors think it are links?

For the portfolio page the design can be more consistent with a small, light colored square border around the images which aren't square of themselves. In the meantime the visitor can better see where are the hoverable / clickable areas.
    wmie-borders.png