SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1st site - interactive blocks & sound effects, various colors & styles, and more..

Hi all,

I've made the site which is hopefully good for killing time with playing, painting, exploring etc, and which also has a commercial side (offers 3 types of free & paid ads).

This is my brand new 1st site, so I would appreciate some reviews & critiques - Million Dollar Galleries.

thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Technically it's pretty amazing, but what i would like to know is: Are people really staying on your website? Because when i came there.. i was like... mhhh what can i do here and i still don't really know what i can do there but that could be just my problem...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thanks for the feedback

It's maybe too early for analysis, especially since I haven't really reached my target groups yet (and the traffic is still low), but here are some stats for a period since the beginning of November (my own visits excluded):

bounce rate: 39.13%
    pages / visit: 2.17
    avg. visit duration: 3:37

I am also thinking if should I add something and what would that be. On the one hand this seems complete to me, but on the other it's indeed empty right now (at least until ads and user generated artworks starts to show up). Empty unless you really like painting and exploring in this way.

SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, I always thought I was rather intelligent, but here I feel myself a stupid noob: didn't get a result. Seems like I'm not in one of your target groups! (which?)
    Anyway, zakelijk is not the only one.
    Or maybe it's an exploring game for killing time: just to decipher how it works? (that can declare the avg. visit duration: 3:37 )

But some notes:
    • It is invalid html (88 errors), it seems more html5 (27 errors) than xhtml1.0-transitional.
    • I get a different operation in Firefox 23 and the latest Chrome; IE7 doesn't work. Should be mentioned: what browser(version) does the site expect? Or a particular Operating System to work? Or a plug-in or something else?
    • Oops, the css3-validator found ... 4008 errors.
    • The sound and video effects I didn't hear, but perhaps I was missing something.
    • All my hope was turned to the "Info" button (top right), but while there was a hover effect, alas, the <a> didn't have a href="..." to another page.

An intro homepage should be not bad, I guess!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it even if I don't fully agree with it.

I guess you entered the site on the phone? Or you simply have javascript disabled?
    If sound didn't worked, I guess grid was empty too (without any mouse events - blocks, colors and moving tabs)? All of that nature are achieved with jquery and some of pure javascript. Basically, my whole site is html (and a little css) + js.
    For now, I tested it only in Firefox, Opera and Chrome on PC and for latter I plan to customize gestures and implement support for the smartphones.

Regarding "errors" - they are all minor and irrelevant, and even if those numbers look extremely high, they actually are not at all considering that I have a whole lot of elements on every gallery (over 4000) and that I have a lot of html. Some of those errors are even from code from Wordpress (for ex. images) which I've just copied. Really doesn't matter - it's important that everything works (at least on PC).

Info isn't intended to be a button - just the general status about what is going on on the site (updates). Since there is nothing going on right now, I've put "Play, explore, paint and collect rewards" as general introduction. If you get interested, isn't it intuitive enough to click on "about", or on "win free pixels"?

btw, here are updated stats:
    bounce rate: 27.50%
    pages / visit: 3.05
    avg. visit duration: 4:22

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hii vjproduction,
    I did't get the idea behind website.
    What it is all about?

I just found different sounds and color changing pixel boxes.
    Nothing else I found interesting about it.

What is your target group?
    What are you expecting people will do on your website?

This thing on your website is pretty new and hard to understand for me, please elaborate.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yapsody,

Basically, these grids are just like pixelated drawing boards. Every grid has it's own combination of block colors and types + it's own sound clips on page load + on mouseover (for example, when you are in Gallery 1 - move the mouse over the tab "1"). These sound clips are pieces of one simple dialogue and story - you need to go from 1 to 107 to follow it (nobody have done this yet )

There isn't any real goal or challenge like in games (seems this is what makes some people to wonder "what is this"), but there are simple goals for people who would like to have their ads for free (free pixels) - find the hidden circles / paint and submit artwork for Gallery Art collections (see more on the "win free pixels" page).

So I think something like this is pretty cool for exploring and drawing / painting aka time killing - cool now with interactive blocks only, and cool latter when grids become a collages of interactive ads (3 basic types and many shapes / sizes) and when "pixel lists" and "art" get filled with actual content.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done! I love to play with your site!

I think you are not very clear what the purpose of you website is. Maybe you can give the frontpage a short intro about what your goal is.
    Also I think if you use a few different colors instead of black your website get's a better look!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thanks for the feedback

I think that homepage has to stay as it is, because otherwise it can ruin the whole concept (+ reduce views and clicks on future ads and increase bounce rate).

Regarding colors, I intentionally done the site in this way - focus should be on those grids - block colors, and collages of ads will especially have plenty of colors.

What is the purpose? - killing time, painting, exploring, checking out by regular visitors + different kind of advertising for advertisers (3 ad types (interactive but no annoying banners) + every ad is an integral part of interactive galleries and stays on it's place for good).

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must admit that I was a bit stumped by the site (although I have to admit to not having a very long attention span or much time to kill). If the aim is for drawing or painting it's a bit limited and I'm likely to use a drawing program for that for better quality (like Adobe Illustrator or GIMP if I wanted something free). Design is also a bit too black and white for my liking. Sorry - but I don't like it and it seemed a bit pointless (I don't mean to be harsh but I have to be truthful).

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ It's ok, it's quite normal and expected that this kind of site can't be liked by everyone.

Of course that by "painting" I don't mean on anything serious - it's simply "messing around" with pixelated boards. There are many sites with various mouse move / drawing effects and styles, and nobody compares them to Adobe's package.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have done something creative. I have never seen this type of stuff before. The sounds and color changing boxes are quite impressive.
    My suggestion :
    1) Try to make your site colorful to attract tons of visitors
    2) Not everyone gonna visit on about page: Specify in short at home page-what is the purpose?
    3) Why people visit you again- Think
    Overall the first impression is good.
    Best of luck

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thanks for your comments

3) - I guess I would really need some content in order to make homepage more interesting + self-explanatory and in order to "start it up".

<snip/>
    Last edited by Mittineague; Nov 24, 2013 at 14:48. Reason: please read the FAQ

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ thanks for your comments

I'll see if there is something what I can do regarding colors and info, but with keeping the current concept and design.

p.s. I'm a little surprised that none of the visitors so far doesn't seem to care about movie quotes.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site just got the 1st ad (free and static pixels).

I think it will definitely look more colorful and interesting with more content.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got the 2nd one

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I click on your link and saw your page, I was like: "where am i?" " what am I supposed to do here?" maybe it's just me because I am a noob, but I really didn't know what to do until I started reading some other people comments. I think maybe a short paragraph explaining the purpose for people like me would be nice.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ You are probably right because you are not the only one who told this. I thought that the process of discovering the site and it's content would be interesting, but I guess that's subjective and relative.