User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Selling a website

Hello.
    If I have a website and I want to sell it. Where I can suggest my site and start getting offers for it?
    I've been looking around Google, but everything I found are paid programs in order to sell websites..
    Anyone can recommend me on a good place where I can offer my website for sale?
    Owner of uReviews & MovieDB - Movie Database

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    You should try Flippa. It is part of the Sitepoint 'family' and gets lots of traffic.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everything I found are paid programs
    Inevitably, if you are selling something, you must expect to pay a commission to the site or service that introduces you to the buyer. But the amount you pay is likely to be small, compared to the amount you are selling for.

I agree with Parkin that Flippa is a good place to start, if only because it's the market leader. They do charge a fee, but the fee is modest, and the charges are all clearly set out on their site.

Mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digital point is also a useful site for buying and selling web content/full sites etc. Otherwise flippa is there with good auction system

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm iffy on flippa. it doesn't have the best reputation or should I say some of the sellers on it don't.

Personally I think that a lot of people know this and as such you cannot get a premium price for it.

As to alternatives , I really don't know. i'll bounce back soon as i'm looking at buying some niche sites and am also looking for a marketplace.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Personally, I've sold a website on Digital Point and another using Flippa. The one on DP got a BIN offer right away and the one listed on Flippa went through a nice bidding competition before it was sold at a price that I am satisfied with.

If I were to do it again, I would list my website on Flippa first simply because it is a well known marketplace. People visit Flippa to buy and sell websites so theoretically, it is much easier to get an offer if you have a solid website with a comprehensive listing. From my experience, I find that buyers on Flippa tend to ask informed questions too. On DP, which one of my websites was sold 3 years ago, I had people asking me what is the website running on even though I've kept the "Powered by WordPress" footer.

Hope my experience above helps.

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very helpful reply, Wayne. I confirms what I've always thought about Flippa.

Mike

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Website broker might also be a good place to look...

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flippa and Digital Point are the leaders. If it was just a domain GD auctions work well for that. You can always do your diligence to find a domain or business broker who knows what they are doing to help you as well.