SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Gmail Tabs and Open Rates

Has anyone experienced a decrease in open rates due to Google tabs? We have noticed a decrease in open rates of about 8%

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you referring to the "tabs" feature in the Google Chrome browser? If so, what do you mean by a "decrease in open rates"? Are you suggesting that you will get fewer people visiting your site because of this feature? How would you measure that?

Or have I misunderstood your question? If so, perhaps you could clarify it.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    Are you referring to the "tabs" feature in the Google Chrome browser? If so, what do you mean by a "decrease in open rates"? Are you suggesting that you will get fewer people visiting your site because of this feature? How would you measure that?

Or have I misunderstood your question? If so, perhaps you could clarify it.

Mike
    Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, emails are going to different tabs (in the Gmail feature). Here is a nice article that explains further. Basically, if the emails are coming from an email service (eg whitelabeling service, an eail to a list with an unsubscribe link), they wind up in the promotions/social tabs:

http://econsultancy.com/us/blog/6356...mail-marketing

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this has got nothing to do with Google Chrome? It's related only to GMail? I didn't pick that up from your original post.

The article you referenced explains the situation very clearly, and undoubtedly answers your question better than I can. But one point to keep in mind: How many GMail users have actually switched to the new interface - or even know about it? I was only dimly aware of it myself, and can think of no good reason to use it (but GMail isn't my main email system).

I hope other folk here can answer your question.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikl View Post
    So this has got nothing to do with Google Chrome? It's related only to GMail? I didn't pick that up from your original post.

The article you referenced explains the situation very clearly, and undoubtedly answers your question better than I can. But one point to keep in mind: How many GMail users have actually switched to the new interface - or even know about it? I was only dimly aware of it myself, and can think of no good reason to use it (but GMail isn't my main email system).

I hope other folk here can answer your question.

Mike
    I did a poor job, sorry!

I basically wanted to see if anyone else was also having this problem.

The issue with the general Gmail userbase is that they are automatically switched to tabs. You are correct, they likely don't even realize it. So it remains with them

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the switchover is automatic (not an opt in). I spent weeks hunting for linkedIn replies before I found them under the social networking tab. They do, however, show up still on my gmail mobile app.

Yes, I can see why that might be a little bit irritating and frustrating.