Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an article from http://www.wsj.com

Icann Picks 7 New Domain Names;
    'Biz,' 'Info,' 'Aero' Make the List
    Associated Press

MARINA DEL REY, Calif. -- The Internet got its first new batch of international domain names on Thursday with the selection of ".biz," ".name" and five other suffixes that will enable a lot more Web-site variety.

The decision by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or Icann, capped a half decade of discussions about how to relieve the crowded field of addresses ending in ".com." An Internet-oversight board identified ".biz" and ".web" as strong candidates to expand the online addressing system and make Web sites easier to find.

Icann approved ".info" for general use, ".biz" for businesses, ".name" for individuals, ".pro" for professionals, ".museum" for museums, ".coop" for business cooperatives and ".aero" for the aviation industry.

"This is only an initial sampling," Icann Chairwoman Esther Dyson said. "The ones that were accepted ... will provide additional utility, but they are probably not the only ones that would qualify."

Though additional rounds are expected, Ms. Dyson said Icann has "not yet determined how we go forward from here."

The new suffixes, which could appear in use by mid-2001, are designed as alternatives to ".com," a crowded suffix with some 20 million registrations. It would be similar to adding area codes to the national phone system to accommodate growth.

The additions are the first major ones to the Internet since the domain-name system was developed in the 1980s, although Icann has added some regional suffixes recently, including ".ps" for the Palestinian territories.

Web sites seeking a ".com" suffix are now forced to use word combinations or abbreviations that are difficult to remember.

Even ".net" and ".org" are getting crowded -- the American Medical Association goes by ama-assn.org because ama.org was claimed by the American Marketing Association.

New suffixes could make more simple addresses available, which could then make Web sites easier to find. They also could begin a new virtual land rush, as speculators and trademark holders compete to claim the best names first.

Now, Icann must negotiate contracts with companies or groups that made the winning proposals.

For this week's meeting, companies proposing new suffixes paid $50,000 for the chance to become record keepers for the new names. As registry operators, they would be able to charge a few dollars per name registered, an amount that could add up to millions of dollars for the most popular suffixes.

In all, 47 applications were received by the Oct. 2. deadline.

Board members rejected ".kids" for children and ".health" for prescreened health information. They also dismissed ".tel" for telephone numbers, ".geo" for Web addresses based on location and ".web" over concerns that it has already been unofficially registered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.com. I wonder.info when they will really be available for sale.biz.
    Jim Lewis
    To BE or Not to BE, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Barium Enema
    FrappyDoo Forums

********* Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL @ jamesglewisf

They're supposed to be ready by Spring 2001, no official date or anything announced yet though.

There's a similar thread going on in the Web Hosting & Doman Names forum for anyone interested: http://www.sitepointforums.com/showt...threadid=11750.

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't see the point with .Aero !
    I never thought the Icann would satisfy the aviation industry lobby.

I mean, are there so MANY aviation companies, so many that it would need a special TLD just for them ? And don't forget the already existing companies will keep their existing .com, so i really don't see any point in registering .aero, except for the aviation lobby.
    (add the fact that .aero is kinda ugly as a TLD and i dare you to create a cool domain name with it)
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Shin Ma
    I really don't see the point with .Aero !
    I never thought the Icann would satisfy the aviation industry lobby.

I mean, are there so MANY aviation companies, so many that it would need a special TLD just for them ? And don't forget the already existing companies will keep their existing .com, so i really don't see any point in registering .aero, except for the aviation lobby.
    (add the fact that .aero is kinda ugly as a TLD and i dare you to create a cool domain name with it)
    I agree, doesnt seem like a very good move by ICANN.
    russell.cz.cc - coming soon (I promise!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm not sure any of these solve the problem. What was the problem again? Why do we need new TLDs? We don't? Ohhh, well why are we approving more again? Because we are 'running out' of .coms? I don't think so. There might not be any two letter .com's available, but so what? In a matter of minutes there won't be any two letter new TLDs available either.

I just can't wait until it costs site owners $10,000 a year just to secure all the versions (and slight variations) of the domain name. Blah.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.
    Chicken

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just waiting for the .xxx TLD!

will code HTML for food Michel V's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They'd better release all the possible combinations of 2 letters, for new TLDs.

Well, maybe Philip Morris will come in the game and next year we'll see a new .tobacco TLD, or also Coca-cola would come, and they'd create a .coke, or whatever...

These new TLDs are just so annoying... 4 letters is an horrible lenght. Imagine if you register a domain name that has only 3 characters or less ? Your TLD would be longer (and more informative) than your domain name, what a ridiculous situation. (although with their automatic robots, companies will have bought all the 3,4, and 5 letters possible domain names in 2 days, which would simplify the problem :P )
    [blogger: zengun] [blogware contributor: wordpress]