User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

classic asp search functionality

Hi ,

My client is asking to have a google kind of search functionality.So i need to use JQuery auto complete for search text box then click on search button to get the database recordset results.Now I am able to get to search through one particular column,how can I achieve this to search through any column in a table ?

suppose my db table is having columns project id,project_mgr,Proj_name,cr_no,pm_no .If I have somthing like "test" .It should search through any of above columns data in data base.How can I achieve this ?Can some one show me an example with jquery with classic asp and this search functionality.

Regards,
    Sonali Malla.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In order to have that Google type of functionality to your search box, you need to use AJAX. If you don't know what this is just Google it and learn it.

After you've learned AJAX, which shouldn't take you more than two hours, you can then use it code to manipulate your PHP code.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just so you know, jQuery is just a Javascript code library which includes (amongst other things) AJAX capable functions.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you're running a Classic ASP site, I think it's safe to assume that you are running on a Windows server.

If I were you, I'd install Lucene.NET as a separate service, and them populate your Lucene index using a web service (i.e. return JSON sets). This is the solution I've used before when I've been forced to deal with a legacy site.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Provided you have admin access to the server?
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I would certainly hope that the author of this thread has access to the source code and is able to deploy to the production server! Setting up full-site search inside a web page is simply not possible without access to the server, assuming the client wants this search tool to be running on the same site/server.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ULTiMATE View Post
    Setting up full-site search inside a web page is simply not possible without access to the server
    Really? Damn! All those web page/database utilities I used to write in ASP (e.g. ASP/Access) must have been magic ... I have never had admin access to any web server (except my own dev server). You do not need to install services to do AJAX/ASP/database interactions. It might make it easier, but it's not needed.

Note that the OP talks about database recordset results, not site scraping.
    Ian Anderson
    www.siteguru.co.uk

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by siteguru View Post
    Really? Damn! All those web page/database utilities I used to write in ASP (e.g. ASP/Access) must have been magic ... I have never had admin access to any web server (except my own dev server). You do not need to install services to do AJAX/ASP/database interactions. It might make it easier, but it's not needed.

Note that the OP talks about database recordset results, not site scraping.
    Ah, I think I might have confused myself. I assumed that this record set would need to be added to a Classic ASP web page, and that full-text functionality would be required.