User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PHP search within a string

I have a chunk of text like this:

PHP Code:
    $text "Internal tissue sealants and hemostasis are relatively underpenetrated, although their use has grown rapidly. In 2012
    , internal tissue sealants were used in just over 3% of the procedures listed above. Healthy growth is expected throughout 
    the forecast period, driven by growing adoption in key procedures, such as neurological surgeries and thoracic operations; 
    increasing use as an adjunct to hemostasis; and broadening indications. The value of revenues per procedure is expected to 
    remain relatively flat, below $400. Sales are expected to reach $370 million in 2018. Exhibit 4-7 presents the market forecast for 
    external and internal tissue sealants."

And I would like to use PHP to search through it based on a word and return a snippet of the sentence where it appears and show a result like this:

Search word: hemostasis
    1) ...Internal tissue sealants and hemostasis are relatively underpenetrated...
    2) ...use as an adjunct to hemostasis; and broadening indications...

Any ideas?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The quick answer is use strpos which returns the position, then use substr.

I think you could do it with one of the regex methods, but can't remember off hand which...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Cups's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Consider breaking the text up into sentences. (split on the .)

Then select only those sentences containing the target term.

Then highlight the term.

Traversing back and forward for n chars will take some more work, but is doable.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tokenize the string (split on ' ')
    Preg_grep on "~.*".$term.".*~"; this gives you the keys of the matching tokens.
    foreach key found,
    Get the implosion (on ' ') of the array_slice from max($key - $words_before,0) for length $words_to_include.
    Str_replace your term with <strong>$term</strong>.

This will give you full words instead of characters before and after. echo "...".$result."..." and you've got the output you wanted.
    Never grow up. The instant you do, you lose all ability to imagine great things, for fear of reality crashing in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks guys, I got this... any improvements?

PHP Code:
    <?php

function Search($text$search){

$arr explode($search$text);

$out = array();
        for (
    $i 0$i count($arr)-1$i++) {

$out[] = "...".substr($arr[$i], -30)." ".$search." ".substr($arr[$i+1], 030)."...";
        }
        return 
    $out;
    }

$text="Internal tissue sealants and hemostasis are relatively underpenetrated, although their use has grown rapidly. In 2012, internal tissue sealants were used in just over 3% of the procedures listed above. Healthy growth is expected throughout the forecast period, driven by growing adoption in key procedures, such as neurological surgeries and thoracic operations; increasing use as an adjunct to hemostasis; and broadening indications. The value of revenues per procedure is expected to remain relatively flat, below $400. Sales are expected to reach $370 million in 2018. Exhibit 4-7 presents the market forecast for external and internal tissue sealants.";
    $search="hemostasis";

$return=(Search($text$search));
    $i=0; foreach($return as $row) { $i++; echo $i.") ".$row."<br>"; }

?>