User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Search Engine - every review is fully appreciated

Hi how you doin? First time OP long time viewer.

Let me first start by saying I used no templates, no 3rd party tools simply Windows notepad in it's most basic form. This is fully functional search engine, the Gojavo Bot was written by me from scratch as well. All of it took me 20 days to complete from the ground up.

Gojavo is currently in beta mod, I will release updates frequently so stay with me.

Appreciated if you drop me a review after visiting I'd probably take it in consideration. Screenshots along with information on what browser and version you were using when the shot was taken. Error reports, slow downs, glitches.

Gojavo.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The information you provided quite good and
    useful also. But are you sure this work as same as manual submission ?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But are you sure this work as same as manual submission ?
    Could you elaborate more on your question? If the question is about manually submitting to my search engine then no, currently Gojavo does not allow webmasters to submit their own websites to the engine. This does not mean the capability isn't there this just means I will have to consider it during my follow updates.

Thank you for your question and feedback Emiee I'm always happy to answer users on the forums.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the bot needs to do a lot of crawling in order to rang the results appropriately and provide all descriptions?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Other than that, I would say that appearance matters – I think people would at least like to be able to customize colors (doesn’t need to be images, just simple color input).

This is what surprises me about mighty engine like Google – I don’t think that full freedom of changing some colors would hurt their performance…

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, that's interesting.. Have any other suggestions or ideas please I will be excited to hear them no matter how wild they may be. I want people to get interested in my project and I'm all about catering to my users.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    956 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I'm having a few issues.

This search was for "free stock photos" but as you can see, none of the results are actually relevant.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    I admire your ability to do something like this. Will it take a while for your search engine to index the web? I didn't find very useful results for things I searched for—things like my favorite news site, my own personal site etc.

SitePoint Member autopaypalboost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like your site try to make it a bit diffrent from this one that you have.

It's all Geek to me silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by autopaypalboost View Post
    I dont like your site try to make it a bit diffrent from this one that you have.
    I dont like your comment try to make it a bit diffrent from this one that you have.

Or, to elaborate (like you should have) ... it's no use making a comment like "I don't like it, so change it". Unless you say what you don't like, or what you'd prefer to see, the comment is useless.

SitePoint Member autopaypalboost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The site color is not nice and I belive it should have more creativity images that call attention.

SitePoint Enthusiast gregdbowen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, I have a couple of thoughts. I would like to see the logo without the 1px stroke. That will probably mean working with the colors - but the logo should have enough contrast not to need a stroke. Nothing appears to be centered properly in Safari - I would also consider consider working on your form elements - they are small and look like they are stock elements - there is an opportunity - what about filling the input element with the word search? Not black, in a shade of light gray - prompting users to act.Search results blue against brown? That doesn't work super well. Nice start.

Greg Bowen | Founder / Lead Dev
    Fluidlab
    PUBLISHING TOOLS FOR WORDPRESS
    http://FluidlabPro.com @FluidlbPro

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UI (user interface) needs improvement. A lot of css work is required for your site. makes some decent graphics for your site. Also you need to improve the way you are showing search results.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph.m View Post
    I admire your ability to do something like this. Will it take a while for your search engine to index the web? I didn't find very useful results for things I searched for—things like my favorite news site, my own personal site etc.
    It's going to take a while for sure, I still have to continue working the kinks out of Javobot until it's completely auto efficient. Unlike Google, Bing companies who have whole divisions that work in each department. I myself am only one man working on GoJavo which is a large project in and of it's self which I have no problem handling though my time is precious if I could work on Gojavo full time I would. Of course Google didn't become google in a year which I am not trying to accomplish. This is my baby.

I do enjoy reading all you members comments in here it inspires me it truly does.

If any of you have any websites that you would like Javobot to crawl post your list up here.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any plans for mobile version? Seems not currently supporting small device width.

Sent from my XT316 using Tapatalk 2

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got four comments (three of them minor, the other one more serious):

1. I ran about a dozen tests, but not one of them produced remotely relevant results. I appreciate the site is in beta, and that it will take time to crawl enough sites to give a useful result. Nevertheless, the results I've seen were so far off what I was looking for, that it made me wonder just how well you have implemented your search algorithm.

Now the less serious points:

2. I like it that you have a control for selecting the number of results to appear on the page. But it would be better if you remember the selected value from one search to the next, instead of forcing me to reset it each time.

3. I'd prefer the Search button to be to the right of the search box. It seems more intuitive to work from left to right. (But that's really a very minor point.)

4. After you present the search results, you clear the search box. This is poor design. It would be better to leave the box intact, because (i) it reminds the user what they searched for; and (ii) it makes it easy for them to edit the search term if they made a mistake.

Apart from these points, it's an impressive piece of work. Well done. But I assume you are doing this for your own satisfaction. Or do you see it having some commercial value?

Mike

SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mr_Tobacco,
    First I've to say that I admire your energy and perseverance to make a one-man-powered search engine!

Apart from design things as color scheme and positioning, the main thing for the moment is that the service is good working. I'm a bit afraid that's not the case yet. I tried 3 searches, with the following results.

The "self test", a search for "Gojavo"

1. Looking for Gojavo? Top answers for Gojavo --- www. internetcorkboard.com
      Both links go to the same page internetcorkboard.com/search.php?q=Gojavo, with as result for the so called "top answers": "Search results for: Gojavo > No results found".
    2. Gojavo.com, Free Search Engine (that's him!)

Because of the "1." / "2." numbering in the presentation, it looks like both results are search results from Gojavo, and that both results are "Related Results". But the first one is an ad, and that's the only "Related Result"!
    I should drop the "1." and make clear for the visitor that the top result is not your top result but an advertisement; something like:

=======
    A search for "Hotel Amsterdam"
    1. Looking for Wedding Dresses? (the Ad; a click is giving: "Search results for: Wedding Dresses > No results found")
    2. Kempinski Hotels (lots of hotels, but not in Amsterdam)
    3. Gossip about a hotel room (not in Amsterdam) *)
    4. The 9 Most Romantic Hotels in California
    5. Hotels with Views of a Parade in New York City
    6. Haunted Hotels: Get Spooked for Halloween (not in Amsterdam)
    7. 9 Top Luxury Hotels in Hawaii
    8. Travel | Hotels | Fox News (not in Amsterdam) *)

=======
    A search for "Amsterdam"
    1. & only: Looking for Pizza Hut coupons? (the Ad)
      A click on that goes to the InternetCorkBoard with 3 results: but in all 3 nothing about PizzaHut-coupons! It are just advertising pages of ICB products: "Affiliate Marketing", "Hosting Features" and "Hosted Ecommerce Solutions".

=======
    It seems the CorkBoard is functioning as a competing (!) but fake search engine, with the only goal to get traffic to their site/products.

A look in your source code makes clear that it is an <iframe> (with hidden elements and a lot of scripts). This iframe is called by your script to insert a "chitikaAdBlock" (from Chitika, Inc.; wikipedia: a search-targeted advertising company).
    I doubt if the Chitika/CorkBoard ad's can give lots of advertisement-income; and the produced links are more contra-productive as supporting your site...
    Is it an idea to say goodbye to the ads?

Then for fun I made a search for "Google", to see what would do the CorkBoard with that.
    Aha: their number #1 result is "Looking for Retirement Plans? > Top answers for Retirement Plans".
    _________
    *) The word "Amsterdam" was not on the page; only used in a script in the generated source code, noticing a referral from gojavo.com (!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since it is a new search engine it would probably be helpful to have some type of numerical value showing how many websites are in your index (ie. Over 1,000,000 sites indexed"), unless of course you tie into another search engine.

The logo and beta text are a bit too close to the search bar when I look at it. It just makes it look awkward for some reason, I cant really explain it.

From a look point of view I think the search button needs to be centered and moved down a bit or moved to the right as it becomes one of the first things to catch your attention, which you dont want.

Your numbering system for results seems to be off. I searched "tester" and received results 2, 3 and 4 but no #1. The advertisement that shows up at the moment clashes heavily with your background color and makes it stand out far more than anything else on the page. This is good for CTR but not great for keeping users on your website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the background color

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off it sounds like a very exciting project. Congratulations

Sometimes I get adds and sometimes not, however when I don't get adds there is no #1 search result. So when I search my hits are numbered 2-11.
    Another problem mentioned that hasn't been fixed yet, I am not receiving very relevant results. It seems that only the first and second words are considered in a search. for example when I search "Henry 4 Shakespeare" I get results based on "Henry 4" only. In fact it appears that shakespear does not exist according to gojavo. (searching never turned up anything)

Another problem is I am receiving odd numbers of results. "Henry 4" turned up 17 results instead of 10 and 27 instead of 20!

And one suggestion for the adds. Differentiate them from the results either by changing their background color or putting a bar between the adds and results (or maybe a pane to the right or left for adds)

The UI also seems very... standard. It may be a good idea to change it up a bit

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update on Gojavo progress...

I know you all here on sitepoint haven't heard from me in a while, (I'm usually pretty silent when I'm working) I actually use this thread as an all purpose information point for Gojavo since I can't find the time to develop a blog. I know I could just simply create one from some trendy blog site but I'm unconventional and if I had to use a blog I'd much rather use my own I developed (Which I haven't at the moment yet).

Too let you know Gojavo project is running along nicely if I may add. I took off two weeks after finishing the first version and analyze the results when I came back. I'm hoping that the upcoming new release Gojavo Beta version 0.5 will be out before Christmas as an early Christmas gift to myself and the satisfaction of deep rooting from my own labor. Of course I do not want to release the product too early the hope would be by Christmas but I'm expecting the release to be more early-mid January 2014 at latest unfortunately.

Some of what's new to the upcoming version of Gojavo.

I didn't simply go back open the trunk and jerry rig it no, more like I gutted Gojavo.

In the new version Gojavo's crawler the Javobot is nearly fully functional. What I mean by this is it is not fully automatic I'd like the Javobot still manual until I've analyzed and researched everything. Javobot could and still can go through collecting 15,294 webpages per minute. In theory this works fine but in real life I do not have 100 servers like Google or Bing to allow Javobot to run on in a continuous manner. Unfortunately I am renting a very small space on a shared host and had to pull back the configurations on Javobot.

Most of the past month though I have been working on a newly created fully compiled artificial intelligent search result system that I've architecturally design myself. It's still at it's womb age but will be applied to the upcoming Beta version. This will result in much more accurate user base search term results such as searching for Shakespeare.

This is all I'm going to say for now about the new version.

By the way I come here from time to time to read all you lovely peoples messages. You guys and gals really have been an inspiration and this is what keeps me going to know someone some where is using something I created.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's interesting that you took the time to make your own search engine from the ground up. However, it would seem like more of a personal (test) project at the stage it is currently in at this moment. Specifically, I would recommend getting a cleaner layout and logo, maybe read some tips on how to design a better user interface... as that's very important when reading search engine results. You may also want to create pagination on the search results page (rather than having the user pick what amount of results they want to view)... either way it's a good start there

SitePoint Mentor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evolvexmb View Post
    You may also want to create pagination on the search results page (rather than having the user pick what amount of results they want to view)
    Actually, I like being able to pick the number of hits to show. But that should work in conjunction with pagination, not instead of it. In other words, let the user pick the number of hits per page, but still paginate the results.

But, if you do that, you should also remember the user's choice from one search to the next, rather than force them to re-set it every time.

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool that you took such a large project on. I would love to see something overtake Google because anything that does will be truly awesome. One question: What do you consider to be your differentiating factor or competitive edge on other existing search engines?

For my review:

1. I would like to see a different design paradigm from the current incumbent search engines. For example, instead of starting with a text field, typing in search terms, and then showing a list of results, maybe there is a different / more innovative way to accomplish the same thing that actually has advantages over the status quo. I'm not sure what it would be but it's something to consider to help differentiate your offering. Just something to ponder.

2. I really like the logo and colors, nice work.

3. The search results were not always completely relevant. I think you will need to further optimize the algorithm you're currently using.

4. Typing in "html", or "html form", or "html form tutorials" all supplied the same results. The phrases all have different meanings and should supply different results.

5. I think a cool differentiating feature would be to try and summarize information from maybe the first 100 results rather than showing a list of results. Search summary is kind of a hot topic over the last couple years and no one has seemed to hit the bulls eye on it yet. This could be part of the redesign you try to achieve based on my first recommendation in this list.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again I updated Gojavo with a new interface make-over and better search result system. The update is out now so have a look at it let me know if you encounter any errors or slow downs. Also let me know your thoughts on the layout and design <snip>.

http://Gojavo.com
    Last edited by TechnoBear; Dec 29, 2013 at 07:50. Reason: No solicitation, please