User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difficulty Opening MP4 File

SitePoint Members,
    I'm having difficulty opening an MP4 file. Is there software designed to open troublesome MP4 files?

Thanks,

Chris

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't really tell you for sure, but I know that when I have trouble opening video files, I usually do one of two things, or both:

1. I download and install the K-Lite mega codec pack (or some other codec bundle to make sure I have as many as possible to work with).

2. use eRightSoft Super to convert the file to another format and then view it. Be warned though: Just in case you want to download it yourself and you have any trouble finding it on their website, look for a link with the text "Download SUPER setup file". I swear I've wasted tons of time in the past just trying to find the actual download link and ended up going from page to page to page clicking on ads and other stuff. The correct link will trigger a download of a file called "SUPERSetup.exe" without directing you away from their site.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris77 View Post
    SitePoint Members,
    I'm having difficulty opening an MP4 file. Is there software designed to open troublesome MP4 files?

Thanks,

Chris
    Hey Chris!

How did it work out? Got through?

I know there's also a really good (though paid) software called Magic Video Converter that can change anything into anything, so you can open it up to edit.

And, of course, for playback, VLC Player seems to open anything too. And that's a freebie.
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    And, of course, for playback, VLC Player seems to open anything too. And that's a freebie.
    Seconded. Because of this video player, you really don't need to mess with installing codec packs anymore.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up using FLV. Not sure where I got it from. It even opens WEBM (sp?) files. Used some tools from bleepingcomputer.com to remove adware it installed on my site (ADSSpy, AdwCleaner, Roguekiller)

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opening MP4 File just Download the free VLC player. Just google "VLC Player" and you will get there. I use it and it opens almost any file type. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Stevie D; Dec 10, 2013 at 16:25. Reason: Self-promotion removed

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local cumputer shop recommended them. I downloaded it and it came with a ton of additional programs that made a mess of my computer. Fortunately I knew about bleeping beforehand and had their Rkill program on my computer and their Malware Bytes program, but I still needed help from their AdsSpy program, AdwCleaner program, and RogueKill program - all free fortunately. I don't ask that shop for help anymore.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My local cumputer shop recommended them. I downloaded it and it came with a ton of additional programs that made a mess of my computer. Fortunately I knew about bleeping beforehand and had their Rkill program on my computer and their Malware Bytes program, but I still needed help from their AdsSpy program, AdwCleaner program, and RogueKill program - all free fortunately. I don't ask that shop for help anymore.
    It sounds like you visited a 3rd-party site serving malware, or a fake site masquerading as the VLC site. VLC is a legitimate free, open-source application without any extra bundled software/adware/malware.
    Visit The Blog | Follow On Twitter
    301tool 1.1.5 - URL redirector & shortener (PHP/MySQL)
    Can be hosted on and utilize your own domain

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Chris.

This is the proper link; http://www.videolan.org/.
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse