SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to know if anyone knew how to, or knew a tutorial on writting dynamic HTML to a file client side.

eg have a script to write html to a new file and save it as abc.htm on a clients computer??
    .NET Code Monkey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi big_al,

Neither html nor javascript has the ability to write to a file, let alone write to the client's machine. The only exception is writing a cookie, and storing an entire html page as a cookie may be possible, but highly inefficient. The only possibility I can think of is write your html page, display it, and pop a window that prompts the user to use his browser's File-Save manually.

Sorry
    Vinny
    Where the World Once Stood
    the blades of grass
    cut me still

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vinny's on the beam, per usual, big_al. Loosely put, one might say: "Ack! Ack! Ack! Security Error!"

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where as you can not save or edit files on the clients machine doesn't mean you have to give up your quest of wanting to do this. If you have the ability of serverside scripting, you can have the file created there and when the client wants to get the file you can display a page that has there recently created page/file in a link so they can download it where they please

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dndpavlik, I've used that approach -- with a little finesse, it works nicely.