SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Server/apache/htaccess code peices reference???

I'm not looking for snippets I'm looking for a reference that explains what every little piece of code (.? ^ and etc) does exactly. I like to have a working knowledge of what the code is doing and not just blindly follow what was given to me. Thanks.

Additionally what is server/apache/htaccess code called? Like css and html. Is it just called apache?

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Jeff Mott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PicnicTutorials View Post
    I'm looking for a reference that explains what every little piece of code does
    That would be the Apache documentation. My guess is you'll spend most of your time in the rewrite section. Rewrites, in turn, use regular expressions.

Additionally what is server/apache/htaccess code called? Like css and html. Is it just called apache?
    So far as I can tell, there's no branded name. It's simply referred to as configuration file syntax.
    "First make it work. Then make it better."

Certified Ethical Hacker silver trophybronze trophy dklynn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not looking for snippets I'm looking for a reference that explains what every little piece of code (.? ^ and etc) does exactly. I like to have a working knowledge of what the code is doing and not just blindly follow what was given to me. Thanks.

PT,

The reference is a subset of regular expressions (no multi-line, no italic, etc., because they're dealing with Apache variables). I explain nearly all you need to know in the tutorial linked in my signature. There is also a 'regex cheat sheet' linked at the end of the very long page.

The code is known as mod_rewrite after the Apache module which is used.

Regards,

DK
    David K. Lynn - Data Koncepts is a long-time WebHostingBuzz (US/UK)
    Client and (unpaid) WHB Ambassador
    mod_rewrite Tutorial Article (setup, config, test & write
    mod_rewrite regex w/sample code) and Code Generator