Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Dog Treats Site - Feedback needed

Hi all,

Could you give me feedback on our site: http://happyhounddogtreats.co.uk please?

I'm especially interested in the flaws and weaknesses of it, as we need a higher conversion rate from it than we're currently getting.

Thanks!

Fretman

SitePoint Enthusiast leafspirit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty new to the whole deal, so maybe not the best person to offer critique, but here are my thoughts.

The site looks good. It's clean, attractive, and to the point.

The only thing I can think of that might help you increase conversions is having stronger calls-to-action. Like instead of "Bag of 8 Only 1.40 Click Here" on the apple-cinnamon delights image on the slider, maybe says something like "For a limited time, get 8 for only 1.40" to add a sense of urgency to it. That's my 0.02

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks leafspirit. Good idea. I've added more urgency and calls to action to various parts of the site... bit worried about over-crowding the white banners but I only really put those there temporarily until I think of some better designs.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I read your title first thought was how you had a really good niche site. I mean I don't think I've heard of a dog website specialize in treats, although I'm not really a dog person. When I saw the domain name I cringed, it's way to long to remember. This is a bad thing since most people who visit most likely will never repeat just because they won't remember how they got there. I would recommend putting a 'add favorites' bookmark on the main page to easily remind past visitors to bookmark you for future visits.

The site it self is very beautiful, if I have had a dog I most definitely buy some doggy treats from your e-store. Like the colors as well the pink and white goes together. The pictures are very clear and dynamic. For the quality you should get rid of the long domain name and switch to a .com.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mr_Tobacco,

You're right that the domain is too long. We're trying to come up with something that could work as a shorter domain but all of the obvious ones are taken. There are in fact many dog treats websites making the domain situation harder for us.

SitePoint Evangelist silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fretman,
    Some ideas for further association about a domain name:
    • DigDogTreats.com, DigIt-dogtreats.com, DiggingDogTreats.com, UKdogtreats.com, uk-dogtreats.com, GladDogTreats.com, dogtreating.com (all available).
    • DogDelight.com is for sale ("only" $3,195).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nicely done! I used Firefox and was quick to load. Very concise and clear. I like that you have the products listed right off the landing page, which helps with a quick sell and a quick review. Love the images; they're both cute and clear.
    I actually salivated looking at the picture! Does that make me weird?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Francky View Post
    Hi Fretman,
    Some ideas for further association about a domain name:
    • DigDogTreats.com, DigIt-dogtreats.com, DiggingDogTreats.com, UKdogtreats.com, uk-dogtreats.com, GladDogTreats.com, dogtreating.com (all available).
    • DogDelight.com is for sale ("only" $3,195).
    Thanks so much! I thought I'd checked http://ukdogtreats.com recently, maybe I'd missed it.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamatae View Post
    Nicely done! I used Firefox and was quick to load. Very concise and clear. I like that you have the products listed right off the landing page, which helps with a quick sell and a quick review. Love the images; they're both cute and clear.
    I actually salivated looking at the picture! Does that make me weird?
    Haha, well you might want to go for a checkup at your local vet, make sure you're not coming down with anything serious. Thanks for the nice review!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice , Fretman. I think you've nailed it with the colour combination and your subject. If i really was looking to buy some dog treats then i would probably buy some
    Your navigation is very clean and simple and your meta's are unique. The structure looks fine by me, your using the H1,H2,H3 tags properly so... i would say you've done a fine job

What could you extend or improve:

This could be my opinion only, but i would implement the social media buttons higher on your page.. so people can find it easier... i would also choose for a different "Like our facebookpage" button, just in order to get more Likes and traffic from your social media. But that would just my personal opinion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not too bad I like how the background color blends in with the images in a way but I think you should add an button or something to convert the currency from euros into dollars correct me if I'm wrong though, unless you're only selling in the UK.
    Also you should add a Facebook and Google likes thing onto the page somewhere to help promote your website and business and you should probably add a news tab on the top somewhere with information with all your news, I see you have news on the side of the main page but some people might want to see all the news not just the latest.

Also if you have products on sale your should make a on sale tab on top of the page with all the products in there somewhere.

Thank you for reading my review I hope I helped you out a lot thanks.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a first time visitor, not really knowing about the existence of the company, I really start questioning whether I should continue browsing the site. What if you are conmen? The first thing, in my opinion, that would allow me to trust the site, is seeing other people know it. Add a facebook like box somewhere up top instead of showing them visa and paypal first. When I see 2000 people in the UK know this company, I know I'm in a safe place.

Sliders are pretty attractive to any one. You at least visitors to see some sort of navigational controls. Web Designers like us know the concept of 'hover on elements and see other hidden elements appear magically', visitors don't know that.

Add images to your key ingredients in the ingredients page. Makes the page look less boring text intensive

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Fretman,

I just visited your site and the design looks really appealing. Since you asked only about the conversion rate, please find below my feedback on this:
    - If you have positive customer reviews for your products (e.g. allow and promote users to rate products), then you could increase it.
    - If you have any press reviews, trust seals, etc. this could also increase the conversion rate.
    - It's not 100% clear if the products can be fed to any dog type or for which it can be used. Maybe it would help to make this more clear or build an online shopping assistant to find the right product for your dog.
    - As another person mentioned, it would also help if social channels like facebook are better integrated to create a more personal experience.
    - Finally, it also depends much from where you get your traffic. For traffic from search engines for highly relevant keywords the conversion rate will be much better than from facebook ads. So maybe you also need to check your campaigns to optimize your conversion rates. Maybe you have AdWords campaigns with irrelevant keywords.

Kind regards,

Philip

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the look and added some of the things suggested in these great reviews. I've got more social media buttons on the site, but our fb/twitter pages aren't very developed yet so I haven't given them the highest prominence.

Thanks for all of your ideas.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the site! Looks very clean. One weird thing to me was the default cursor.. I know it sounds strange but it caught me off guard on the site. Maybe expand the page block a little bit to get rid of some of the space? I'm very fresh to websites so take my advice with a grain of salt haha.

I really like the slideshow though!

Avid Logophile silver trophy
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretman View Post
    Thanks Mr_Tobacco,

You're right that the domain is too long. We're trying to come up with something that could work as a shorter domain but all of the obvious ones are taken. There are in fact many dog treats websites making the domain situation harder for us.
    I just checked: DogTreets.com and DoggieTreets.com are available. You could also add a few MORE 'eee' to make it more memorable (in a cute way).
    Or try something like DawgTreats.
    Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Literally, the best app for readers.
    Make Your P@ssw0rd Secure
    Leveraging SubDomains

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really like the website! It’s very clean looking and is very slick. Since it looks like you take CC payments, you might want to add some kind of security seal at the bottom of the page to boost buyer confidence. I love all of the cute pictures of dogs all over the site!

I don’t see any kind of sign in link. Do you not have customers create accounts when checking out? You might consider doing that, since it’s always nice as a customer to be able to sign in to avoid filling out shipping information every time, and to be able to view past order history.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking site. A couple of specific things.

Responsivity was pretty good with 2 small exception. At somewhere around 730px it went from 4 columns to 2 and the items in the last row were staggered. Also, the get 10% off pup did not scale, so at a mobile dimension it practically took the whole screen. Keep in mind I was just resizing my browser, Chrome.

I've never really like long feeds that I have to scroll. I would use an automated scrolling feature for the Twitter feed that can be paused when hovered. My main complaint is that when I'm scrolling up or down a page, the page stops moving when it hits one of those boxes and just starts scrolling the content inside. Make sense?

Maybe make the images greyed out or some other slight image change on hover for the main products, instead of just the text underneath them? It provides confidence that the user is where they think they are.

If you're worried about conversion, I would include some of those great reviews on your home page. Possibly where the Twitter feeds are.

Good luck!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is great, beautiful and eye catching...That's my first impression and that's what I can say about your website..It use a great and lovely theme..It Looks professional..It's completed with news..It's great..There's no problem with your site..You now just need to get traffic(visitors) and you'll make money..

GRAPHIC DESIGNER visualkreations's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice site. I think it truely does its job well as a dog treat eCommerce site.

Some suggestions:

- I wasn't a big fan of the font used in the hero section. I notice one of them has a drop shadow and others dont...

- Would be nice to style the form fields on the contact page so they are not the default style.

Overall great site!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your website.
    can you add subscription and you can send new offers to your clients.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the site and great choice with shoppify. I like the colors, very neutral, i just think there's need for a bit more contrast. Responsive theme aswell, so far so good!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a dog site owner myself, I am very impressed with your site. I think you really focus on the product, and if you were not in the UK, I would buy from you.

I checked your page load times, and they are great. So great I actually would like to inquire if you are using a theme? As I need to get one!

Great work
    Go broncos

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your color scheme is really appealing and easy on the eyes. On first glance it is easy to understand what the purpose of your website is. Everything seems to be working fine, your website is really well made and I think its perfect for your business. As far as how many people are visiting it depends on its marketing. The site itself is, in my opinion, perfect. Good luck with your business I wish you the best!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like what every ones first liner, i too find your website really nice. great layout, choices of fonts and color scheme.

On a consumers perspective, personally i am a little shocked at the amount of same color and shape of the treats. but just at first glance though. I thought maybe you should balance, information content with retail content. I see you have articles of best practices and stuff, how about if you feature those instead then your products?

Just a thought. good luck!