User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast leafspirit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brainwave Entrainment website - Please critique

Hi guys, I'm coming to the close of my second month for my website http://www.isochronicbeats.net

I've created websites before, but this is the first one I've really done the work and tried to monetize it. I didn't really have too much of a clue what I was doing when I started out, so I had to redesign the site twice after I learned a few things, and now I think I've finally started to get the ball rolling.

I'd like critiques of everything you can think of. Design. Content. Ideally, I want to get people's attention with the information I provide, making affiliate sales isn't as important as engaging with people. I've still got a lot to learn about pretty much everything, so don't be afraid to rip me a new one.

Thanks for taking your time guys. I've learned a lot here just by looking at some of the stuff you've created.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, looking through the site i think it's good. It's clear and there is some good content on there. The 1st thing i wondered was what are Binaural Beats? I suppose you already know about them if you've came through search but it might be good to have a FAQ section in the top nav bar with question style links (like whats on your popular articles box).

I think if your main goal is to engage with people then there has to be more interaction on the articles, a comment box at the bottom of the articles so people can interact with you and ask questions. Also you could add some videos and animations to grab attention, keep people on the pages more and increase interactions.

I think your call to actions could be more prominent: 'keep reading' or 'read on' instead of 'more' and theres no obvious way to read on from the brainwave entertainment section (you have to know to click on the images).

more on good call to actions here: http://writtent.com/blog/7-effective...why-they-work/
    with a good example of user interaction with the comments at the bottom.

Other than that keep up the good work

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, a bit more work on SEO wouldn't hurt - theres no meta description :/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi
    Header is to dark for me, you do not even see top menu, try combination light dark blue between header and background. Maybe you can add follow on buttons at bottom of the page - in footer because you have social buttons at right side.
    Also fix this(when I clicked on any top menu item):

prev.png

and you do not need like buttons on contact page. remember more social buttons(i saw three plugins with social buttons) more is site speed slower. You should remove at least right social plugin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, the site is really good! I hope making affiliate sales is your primary goal with it, because I think this could be very successful. If I was interested in binaural beats then I'd definitely stay on this page. I get the feeling I will find lots of cool information about it on there.

Strange problem: When I use any of the 5 navigation bar links, it leaves a big blank blue gap underneath the header on each page. When I refresh, the gap is there for a second but then it adjusts. I think it's only when clicking the navbar links, and only in Chrome. In IE and Firefox it doesn't happen.
    isochronic1.jpg

It looks like the current layout needs a lot more content. There's a good amount of content already but it's presented in a way that makes the site look half-empty. If you're not about to imminently add much more content then I'd consider ways of making the content you already have look like it fills the site. So the navigation bars could have links to some more of the existing content so that there are more options on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Also, a bit more work on SEO wouldn't hurt - theres no meta description :/
    Thanks for the comments. I'm still trying to figure out why my comments boxes aren't showing up. Checked every setting I can think of, and the boxes for allow comments and trackbacks on posts and pages are checked, but they still won't show up. Shows you how clueless I am haha

Thanks for pointing out the meta description. I changed some posts to pages and I guess it lost all my WordPress SEO settings after that. And I'll have to figure out how to set the meta description for the homepage.

Thanks much for your critique!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISScyborg View Post
    Hi
    Header is to dark for me, you do not even see top menu, try combination light dark blue between header and background. Maybe you can add follow on buttons at bottom of the page - in footer because you have social buttons at right side.
    Also fix this(when I clicked on any top menu item):

prev.png

and you do not need like buttons on contact page. remember more social buttons(i saw three plugins with social buttons) more is site speed slower. You should remove at least right social plugin
    Alright, thanks for your input. I removed the social sharing buttons at the top of posts. I am using AddThis plugin to do the sharing buttons, and I'm not sure how to disable it for individual posts.

I'll try and work out something like maybe lightening the background for the nav bars or reworking it entirely. I still have a little bit of work to do customizing that theme, so I will put it on my to-do list.

Thanks for your advice! I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fretman View Post
    Hi, the site is really good! I hope making affiliate sales is your primary goal with it, because I think this could be very successful. If I was interested in binaural beats then I'd definitely stay on this page. I get the feeling I will find lots of cool information about it on there.

Strange problem: When I use any of the 5 navigation bar links, it leaves a big blank blue gap underneath the header on each page. When I refresh, the gap is there for a second but then it adjusts. I think it's only when clicking the navbar links, and only in Chrome. In IE and Firefox it doesn't happen.
    isochronic1.jpg

It looks like the current layout needs a lot more content. There's a good amount of content already but it's presented in a way that makes the site look half-empty. If you're not about to imminently add much more content then I'd consider ways of making the content you already have look like it fills the site. So the navigation bars could have links to some more of the existing content so that there are more options on it.
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions! About that problem, which version of Chrome are you using? I tried replicating it in Chrome 30.0.1599.101 m but I couldn't manage to see a gap. That's really weird, because I definitely want to figure out what's going on there.

Thanks for the suggestions about the content. I had planned to have a lot more content, but I was busy writing a Kindle book for the niche, which I just published today, so I'll be adding a lot more soon. I think for now I'll just try and go look at the site how someone else would see it and see where I can add some stuff, like a blurb for my book or other things.

Thanks for the critique! I definitely appreciate the input.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I'm using Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101 m. Looks like this banner is related to the problem?

isochronic2.jpg

Just to be clear, you've got lots of content on your site already... I'm just saying it doesn't look like there's much because of things like the navigation bar only having two links.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem. I'm using Chrome Version 30.0.1599.101 m. Looks like this banner is related to the problem?

isochronic2.jpg

Just to be clear, you've got lots of content on your site already... I'm just saying it doesn't look like there's much because of things like the navigation bar only having two links.
    Alright, thanks much! That saves me some time. Now I just gotta figure out why it's doing that and how to fix it. Honestly, once this thing starts making money, I'm just gonna pay someone who knows what they're doing to do all this haha

Thanks for the clarification on the content thing too. I added the "What are Binaural Beats?" page to the secondary navigation, and I plan to have a "Tell Your Story" page where people can send in their success stories for a chance to be featured on the blog, so I think it'll look more full after that.

After you mentioned it, I noticed that there are a couple of places I can add things, or move things around to make a better experience, so now I'll just let everything run around in my head for a few hours til my subconscious gets it all sorted.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. You are awesome!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leafspirit View Post
    Alright, thanks much! That saves me some time. Now I just gotta figure out why it's doing that and how to fix it. Honestly, once this thing starts making money, I'm just gonna pay someone who knows what they're doing to do all this haha

Thanks for the clarification on the content thing too. I added the "What are Binaural Beats?" page to the secondary navigation, and I plan to have a "Tell Your Story" page where people can send in their success stories for a chance to be featured on the blog, so I think it'll look more full after that.

After you mentioned it, I noticed that there are a couple of places I can add things, or move things around to make a better experience, so now I'll just let everything run around in my head for a few hours til my subconscious gets it all sorted.

Thanks again for taking the time to help. You are awesome!
    It already looks even better just with one extra link on that navbar. You've got lots of articles like that down below, why not just temporarily pop some more onto the navbar for now? Especially 'how to use binaural beats'.

My computer is win7 but I just checked on a laptop running windows vista and an older Chrome 29.0.1547.76 m and that computer gets the same gap problem too. Do you really need that hidden banner there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It already looks even better just with one extra link on that navbar. You've got lots of articles like that down below, why not just temporarily pop some more onto the navbar for now? Especially 'how to use binaural beats'.

My computer is win7 but I just checked on a laptop running windows vista and an older Chrome 29.0.1547.76 m and that computer gets the same gap problem too. Do you really need that hidden banner there?
    I've got ten million things to do haha, so I'm writing down all the suggestions on my to-do list.

As for the banner issue, I'm still trying to figure out why it does that. It's actually the header widget that shows up to the right of my logo, and looking at your screenshot, for some reason it's showing up as 468x468, when the image tag explicitly sets the height to 60px. I might try changing the CSS for that image from height: auto; to height: 60px; as that's the only thing I can think of, but I have no way of testing it since all 4 of my browsers and even my phone are showing it correctly.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leafspirit View Post
    I've got ten million things to do haha, so I'm writing down all the suggestions on my to-do list.

As for the banner issue, I'm still trying to figure out why it does that. It's actually the header widget that shows up to the right of my logo, and looking at your screenshot, for some reason it's showing up as 468x468, when the image tag explicitly sets the height to 60px. I might try changing the CSS for that image from height: auto; to height: 60px; as that's the only thing I can think of, but I have no way of testing it since all 4 of my browsers and even my phone are showing it correctly.
    Oh if you haven't already tried it, definitely do that. Replacing auto with 60px fixes it instantly when I type it into the css directly. Should work.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All fixed
    Doing my best haha. I still feel like I'm kind of floundering around in a sea of information overload. Next thing I have to learn is how to build traffic, and I'm still not even sure on some of the stuff I HAVE done, like how good the content is, and all the traffic building strategies I've tried so far haven't worked. Man, my brain feels like it's going to explode sometimes.

Alright, done with the rant. Thanks much for all your help so far, I appreciate it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall the site looks good though there is nothing special or unique in flavor I must admit it felt to me like any other web 2.0 website and this could hurt you as your website might be drowned out with all the other templates visitors see on the internet. The load time was also a few seconds slow. I'm on wireless with a super bandwidth connection. It shouldn't take more than 5 seconds to load a websites top page div block compared to it's body. It's overall good and I can understand the concept of what you're selling.

nice work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice website but you can do more if you controle your SEO

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by besness View Post
    you can do more if you controle your SEO
    What do you mean by that? What do you think should be done which hasn't been done?
    Take plenty of exercise – walk round and round the garden
    or

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by besness View Post
    very nice website but you can do more if you controle your SEO
    Every single page is targeted to a specific keyword, the keyword densities are between 1% and 6%, and that keyword appears in the page title, page URL, article heading, content, and meta description. My internal linking structure is good.

I'm not sure what else I can be doing as far as SEO goes. One of my pages is already ranking at #1 on Google for 3 keywords and #3 for another, and every single one of my pages is in the top 50 for their keyword and slowly but steadily climbing, so I'm not sure what you mean by control my SEO.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is pretty good for SEO, but you can improve it too.

You have two sitemaps.

But how can you improve SEO: optimize your images, some are to big, and you can enable gzip compression, also you can add to your .htaccess file code for expires headers, something like this:

Code:
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ############################################
    ## Add default Expires header
    ## http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires
    <FilesMatch “\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$”>
     ExpiresDefault “access plus 1 year”
    </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>
    PS: when you search for keywords in google turn off personalized search, if you did not already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ISScyborg View Post
    Your site is pretty good for SEO, but you can improve it too.

You have two sitemaps.

But how can you improve SEO: optimize your images, some are to big, and you can enable gzip compression, also you can add to your .htaccess file code for expires headers, something like this:

Code:
    <IfModule mod_expires.c>
    ExpiresActive On
    ############################################
    ## Add default Expires header
    ## http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires
    <FilesMatch “\.(ico|pdf|flv|jpg|jpeg|png|gif|js|css|swf)$”>
     ExpiresDefault “access plus 1 year”
    </FilesMatch>
    </IfModule>
    PS: when you search for keywords in google turn off personalized search, if you did not already
    Thanks for the tips. I think the two sitemaps is because I had a plugin for sitemaps before I installed WordPress SEO by Yoast, so I'll put that on my to-do list.
    And I'll also go and take a look at my image sizes, and maybe reduce their sizes and reupload them.
    Another good tip with the expiry headers. I thought I'd already taken care of that, but I guess it slipped through the cracks.

As for searching, I don't personally use Google haha. I use rankcheckerace.com to keep tabs of where my pages stand for their keywords, and every once in a while I verify it with Long Tail Pro, which is what I'm using to find the keywords in the first place. Thanks for the tip though! I appreciate your feedback, it helps make for a better site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ironically, I'm interested in the topic to begin with, but I find the site an easy read and easy to locate information. It's informative and has supplemented information I've read over the years.
    Good use of images and layout!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good site – sound and beats are a mighty thing.

Small suggestion - You could maybe put a nice visible playlist on home page, so that people can listen while they are reading (not autoplay on load, of course). This feature would keep everybody not so familiar with the matter more involved and interested.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your site is fast and has a good design but there are always things to do it better.

SitePoint Member autopaypalboost's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lovely site. I like the color in your site and the design so smimple and well placed contents