User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review my site with Animated Graphics

"I set myself a simple website building challenge:
    I had to use free tools.
    It had to look different to what I had seen before.

I came up with
    http://www.greatwebsitedesign.org/short-page/

I would welcome any feedback?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to review your site but there is nothing to be reviewed. All I see is 'you can build a website like this for free' there some moving random letters on the bottom right and a click here on the left, unfortunately I can't click on anything.
    Nathan

SitePoint Enthusiast leafspirit's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the premise is eye-catching website design, right? So when I click your link and it says "You can build a website like this for free," my immediate reaction if I were a reader would be to close the tab. The reason is because there's no eye-catching design above the fold. There's a few gimmicky graphics, but no actual design.

I think you could make it more appealing if you move the benefits section up above the fold. And if your goal is to get people on your mailing list, I would have that above the fold too. You can show one or two of your flashy graphics above the fold, but most of them would be better off used further down the page. You have to capture the reader's attention because most of them will never scroll down if you don't.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Colin, looking at the site I agree with what has already been said: it all appears very random and spammy. Assuming your goal is to receive newsletters sign ups (even that is unclear, what am i signing up to? A newsletter? A phone call?) I would put the sign up box near the top (above the fold).

The website is very distracting with so much going on, the site would benefit from displaying the best moving graphics above the fold and separating off the rest onto another page titled 'my work' or something. You also need to provide proof that these animated graphics will actually work such as testimonials, or results from some A/B tests (20% increase in signups when using an animated button rather than a static image). Make sure it's all the truth too.

Good Luck

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy PicnicTutorials's Avatar
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see pretty much a black screen on my iphone

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Your headline might need to be altered because although the effects and styles you show may be in demand, it's not really a website 'like that' that people will want. Do you see what I mean? They will want the effects, not a site that looks like that one.

My impression of the page is that there's not enough on it, it comes across as a random test page for certain effects. I notice your 'Or a clickable link like this for free' heading is not clickable. I get that it is supposed to follow on from an earlier white headline... but the "Sign up below" is also in white and so it isn't clear that it's not part of the headline flow. "Sign up below ... or a clickable link like this..." You see the problem?

On to the white content area. The font is a little bland and the blue and red styles look a bit amateurish to me. The animated table showing the cost seems like it would be a good device to use, although I don't really understand which free item is the one you're offering.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To much void black space, to much animation ot your site. You do not think about SEO or even users when they come on your site? Uses do not want so much animations, better are pictures, why you do not use them?

and this: You can build a website like this for free <- I do not know who want's site like this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A big thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I have taken on board as much feedback as I can.

Please see my latest page at

http://www.greatwebsitedesign.org

I would welcome any feedback?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colin, when people sign up on that site, who will be the one giving out the "Great website design" tips? Is it you? Or is the site about passing along someone else's content?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose of the site is to promote my Website Training Company.

I will be providing the training.

If there is any confusion about what is happening, I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would expect people to arrive at the site after reading an email but obviously it should make sense on a stand alone basis.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin1M View Post
    The purpose of the site is to promote my Website Training Company.

I will be providing the training.

If there is any confusion about what is happening, I would appreciate any suggestions.

I would expect people to arrive at the site after reading an email but obviously it should make sense on a stand alone basis.
    I don't know how to be honest about this without sounding very mean. I'm sorry that I had the wrong impression of it from the 'short-page' link, I was thinking you were just displaying graphics that people could use.

Seeing your main homepage and your wider site mission, I'm shocked. The design is so bad that it's almost like a parody website, the joke being that the website author is claiming to be a website design guru. I don't understand how you can think that site represents 'great website design'. Why do you consider yourself to be an expert? Your portfolio is 4 awful animations on a horribly designed page. I really think it's the worst site I've ever seen. There's nothing wrong with that, we all start from the bottom, but the fact that you are trying to run a website training company and give advice on great website design makes me think this is actually a joke.

I'm so sorry if it isn't a joke... but in that case it's best you hear the truth loud and clear as early as possible, I suppose..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Version 3

A big thank you to everyone who has contributed so far.

I have taken on board as much feedback as I can.

Please see my latest page at http://www.greatwebsitedesign.org

I have introduced some new graphics features and completely redesigned the site.

Any further feedback would be most welcome?

Life is not a malfunction gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hmm ... when your page loads, the first thing I see (without scrolling down) is two links which state "Install or enable JAVA", with a link to www.java.com.

Firstly, I don't need to install or enable Java to view that content; I need to enable JavaScript, which is not the same thing.

Secondly, as a web designer, you should be providing fall-back content for those visitors who, for whatever reason, do not have JavaScript (or Flash, or whatever) enabled in their browsers. By all means provide a message suggesting that visitors should enable JavaScript to enjoy the full experience of your site, and leave the choice to them, but JS should be an enhancement, not a necessity. Never rely on it to present basic information - such as the site name.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not bad, cool animations but a little bit messy