SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello I created a local Community Board, and submitted the site about a week ago and some in the last couple of days, to some search engines.

I know it takes a while to get listed but I was wondering what the average wait was. 2weeks/3weeks, 1 month etc. Since it is a local site I am hoping word of mouth will get users to the board for now.

Yahoo/local has already denied my listing, for some Bull reason, so this is why I ask. Thanks for any replies

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Fluffykins's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time taken depends very much on the search engine. Yahoo is a nightmare to get listed in, I was first listed in Altavista and Dogpile Directory, and a few smaller search engines.

My best advice for now is to use a tool to submit to lots of search engines. http://www.ineedhits.com 's Submit Free engine is the one I use, and so far i've gotten listed in 5 or 6.

You could try submitting to Yahoo again, just in case you get a slacker reviewer

By the way, welcome to the forums louis!

Ady
    v-technologies - Freelance Goodness.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks i will check out the link now. Yeah for some reason Yahoo has changed for the worst! The reviewer gave me some lame story in an email, the Yahoo Policy crap, so I got a little pissed and fired back @ him.

It just was not my day Monday. Sorry you cant be listed in our "Grand Service" what a bunch of bull Yahoo turned out to be. But thanks I appreciate your reply, and thanks again for the welcome. I have monitored the forums and been coming here for a while. Like to see what's going on, been getting the newsletter for a while now.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Friends,

I just want to glorify Altavista. I submited to all major search enginey 5-6 week ago with http://www.BizWhat.com. They are the first (and only) that list us. Long Live Altavista (shall I get a nicle for this ?

Best Wishes,
    Kanazir Predrag
    kanazirp@2net.co.yu
    http://www.bizwhat.com
    BizWhat - Are You eMaking Money?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We must've gotten really lucky, because we were listed in Yahoo with two weeks of submitting! (hmmm...maybe it was the champagne and chocolates I sent...yuk yuk!)

Actually, we didn't do anything out of the ordinary that I'm aware of...just filled out the submission form and waited, like everyone else. I was pretty shocked when I saw our listing there so fast...am sure glad of it, however, because we get about 25% of our traffic from there.

Now ranking...that's a whole other issue!
    Carole Pivarnik, Audience Development
    SureCode Technologies, Inc., http://www.surecode.com
    Plug our customizable Web Databases into ANY site,
    seamlessly and with no programming!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried pay-per-click? I'm considering going this route to see if I can get listed quicker and higher. Although I want the traffic -- real bad -- I'm afraid it could get spendy--if I'm lucky :-)

What kind of experience have you guys had with pay-per-click search engines? Which ones do you recommend?
    Joanne Glasspoole
    www.glasspoole.com