Hehe, I know that seems like a strange question, but I'm hoping this thread might generate some interesting discussion. Bear with me ...

For a long time, JS has been used to enhance web pages, with such things as sliding carousels, popups, rate calculators, form validation and so on. These are all handy things, but kind of trivial in terms of what JS can do.

More recently, JS programmers have moved on to bigger things. We are in the age of "web apps", it seems, and we see a lot of emerging frameworks, boilerplates etc. like Angular.js and Backbone.js. To be honest, though, being a JS noob myself, I'm really not clear on what these scripts are for. What are people actually using Angular.js and Backbone.js to do? I hear a lot about them, but haven't got a clear idea of what they are really used to achieve. Does anyone have any real world examples they can share of what these tools are used for?

There's also a lot of talk about Node.js as a tool for doing server side JS. That sounds great too, although I also find it hard to get a sense of what it's really useful for. Explanations that it's good for "non-blocking I/O and single-threaded event loops" etc. doesn't give someone like me a very clear idea of where something like this would be useful. It would be cool to have a more layman's description of where this would be useful (you know, the kind of simplistic description you might give to an eight year old!). I can tell it's not so useful for a standard, static website, for example, but beyond that ...

I'd really love to hear what people have to say about this. And although self promotion is generally shunned, if you've created something using any of the above, or something similar, I think it would be fine to mention it here and explain why you made the choices you did.